XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 Vanden Plas -loss of all electrical, no instrument cluster, won't start

Old 11-28-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Vanden Plas -loss of all electrical, no instrument cluster, won't start

I am a, mostly, happy, always proud owner of two 94 VDPs. I have ben trying to understand the failure of all electrical in one. In the meantime, the other has been purring along, not so much as a grumble. Two days ago i started her up with no issue. She died right away (has never happened before) and boom, same issue. I turn the key and no dash lights, no solenoid click, nothing at all. Clearly, this is not an isolated problem. Either that, or I'm the "luckiest" jaguar owner ever. Any ideas?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 7,861 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Sounds like you might be the victim of the 'crappy-blue-Hella' relays.

bob

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (11-29-2017), EssOess (01-06-2018)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Hi Cbwollam,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I'm sorry to hear that one of your Jags is unhappy. As always, Bob's suggestion is excellent: those original blue Hella relays are known to cause all sorts of problems. The first one I would check is the Ignition On relay, which, unfortunately, is located in the center console behind the radio. It has the blue cover and is mounted in a black relay base or socket.

Before you dig in to test that relay, there are a few fuses that can cause these symptoms when they blow. One in particular is the Lighting Logic fuse (3 Amps), which is fuse A5 in the fusebox at the left-hand A-pillar. It provides power to the Ignition On relay, the Lighting Logic, the Radio Memory, the Center Console Clock, and a couple other things. If it is blown, that may be an indication of a problem with the Ignition On relay or one of the other circuits it powers. You haven't installed an aftermarket radio, have you?

If that fuse is unblown, it would be worth checking all the other fuses in all three fuse boxes (left and right A-pillars and the center console under the arm rest).

Please keep us informed, and please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jags and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-15-2017 at 06:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
EssOess (01-06-2018), motorcarman (11-29-2017)