XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 XJ40 fuel Issues ..."still"

Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 XJ40 fuel Issues ..."still"

Hello all I've been having problems with this car . I just can't seem to put my finger on it . I'm finding myself going around in circles . "Not having fun here"! This is The whole story; Back in November I found a cute little car for my wife, something I could afford something not too expensive. Some clients of mine just so happen to have a Jag for sale . Sweet car she loved it as well as myself. She went to get my mom for Thanksgiving weekend about 200 miles north of us (Kingman Arizona) on the way back the car loses power and dies. After a tow ride home, and a very disappointed wife as well as mother I started in to troubleshooting. After a series of tests with the coil plug wires plugs and air etc i'm finding myself pulling the tank to pull the fuel pump. Not too bad of a task just a little aggravating getting the two lines loose from underneath. Here's where it gets interesting, while installing the new pump I found that to get the housing loose a little bit more of a trick however getting the new pump put back in its place I found that one of the spouts was a little broken at the top of the housing & The screen filter at the bottom of the housing didn't want to go on so easily I think I broke the little plastic ring & The metal keeper. After reinstalling the tank which went well I turn the ignition on and found that the pump is working because fuel pressure at the rail and it started and it ran but it wouldn't go. Now it won't start it turns over but it won't start .....(whew) HELP PLEEEZ

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGrou

Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Dewd,

Love to help more, but you didn't answer most of the questions in this post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...36/#post915867

I'm sure this new one is a continuum of the other. We can help by narrowing down components which have been addressed. There's no magic bullet, we've all been through this. Have to give us info in order to eliminate components.

By your description in the story above, I had a similar circumstance on the road, car would just die or bog down, then die. It turned out to be the Oxygen sensor giving false readings to the ECU. I don't think the o2 sensor is your problem though. In my case, after the car cooled, it would start back up and run again, sometimes for days without trouble, then repeat.

When it gets down to it, it will probably turn out to be something simple. I've ran in circles plenty of times myself tracking down issues, it's how I learn. We have vehicles that are 20 yrs old or more. There will be problems, especially if they were driven. Imagine that.

Keep it light, don't get discouraged.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

On a '94, if the oxygen sensor heater relay (on the firewall) is not working, the car won't start. Swap it with the a/c clutch relay (temporarily) and see if that makes any difference.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason for pulling the filter is I assumed it was bad. I blew through it & it seemed to have a little resistance so instead of buying another one I put a small piece of hose in its place just to see if it would make a difference.
I didn't mess with anything else . Oh yeah I DID switch all of the relays around,and the VCM shows " FUSE 1 & PRO ????

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGrou

Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been having tthe same problem with my 94 XJ12. It has the same lack of power under load etc, but was still idling smooth. No codes have been shown. As I've been going through the systems trying to get her running right again the idle has become more rough also... it has the same fuel pump assy as the XJ6, but 2 instead of just 1. I pulled the tank and replaced the lid on 1 of the fuel pump canisters. The metal pipe the hose connects to were lose on both lids so they are losing fuel pressure. The metal "grommets" inside the lids where the pump inserts also wears out and pops loose so they will lose pressure there also. From what you said in the 1st post in this thread it sounds like this may very likely be your problem also. The dificult part is to find a replacement fuel pump canister lid. I was lucky enough to find 1 at a local junkyard. Hope this helps, and good luck. Wes

Old 02-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Dewd,

I hope someone else jumps in here, our vehicles are 5 yrs apart, so I find myself somewhat limited on the VCM display. They made a significant change from 89 vs 90 onward.

Are you sure the VCM doesn't say "Circuit 1" rather than Fuse 1? And I can't find any reference to "Pro" in my Haynes, and my JDHT manual is limited to my vehicle.

Perhaps you should search the forum archives for a list of VCM codes for your MY.

Originally Posted by Dewd
I didn't mess with anything else . Oh yeah I DID switch all of the relays around,and the VCM shows " FUSE 1 & PRO ????