XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 xj6 a/c shut down...help !

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 xj6 a/c shut down...help !

Hello All, I m Ben, Im Having A Hard time troubleshooting the A/C in my Wifes 94 XJ6. It was working (kinda)It blew Cold air in the Dash Area &NOT out of the Vents. so NOW it doesnt do "anything". No Blower, No Compressor, No Lights on the Face of the Control, No Nothing. I Checked all of the fuses, Checked the Relay & I Even bypassed the relay with a jumper wire just to find out that it DOES work (the clutch engages). so can i get some professional advice ? its HOT Here in Arizona ...... Thank You

Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Ben,

Good to hear from you, sorry for the circumstances though...

I can almost guarantee you will be pulling the dash based on your description. I've done it and it sounds more cumbersome than it actually is. You can do it in one full day and correct problems and do some preventative maintenance while you're at it. Good job at testing your compressor, one thing eliminated.

Regarding the apparent complete loss of functionality, the control unit sounds like it went south and needs either a repair or replacement. It is unlikely you would lose blowers and the control unit at the same time. If you are handy at soldering, there is a micro switch which fails inside the unit, it's repairable by a DIY'er and will set you back a few dollars and time. Or search ebay for a unit, be sure to search by your specific part number based on the VIN of your vehicle. If you found one today, you can probably have it by this weekend. Repair/replacement would take care of another issue. There are some very good posts in this forum that demonstrate the repair with plenty of pics.

Regarding the blowers. When one does fail, it seems like you have lost both of them. The design of the system is to have both blowers as opposing forces, which in turn drives the air through the CCU and based on the control paned fascia setting, drives the air flow through the vents, demist or floor. Just having one of the blowers not functioning will result in the other blower simple driving air to the opposite side, thus no center flow. Remove both knee bolsters and so you can put your hands on the blower assemblies. Start the car and run the fans at all speeds from the control unit. Feel/see that both blowers are in fact not functioning, if not, you know its the control panel.

Another issue you may have (My vehicle was in Tempe for five years) is a separated air box, thus the appearance of air blowing/flowing to the windscreen, and weak flow from the fascia vents. This is the exact reason I had to pull my dash. It air box had separated at the seam, thus releasing any airflow out to the firewall and dispersed from there. Here is a pic:

Attached Thumbnails 94 xj6 a/c shut down...help !-p2190030.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Ben,

Here's the post that has high detail for repair on the control unit:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...working-86227/

Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Hey Ben, If I understand you correctly you have no blowers (on heat or a/c) at any speeds and the control unit is completely dead, right?

I had a similar issue with my 94, but in my case the panel did light up - it just didn't "do" anything.

At the time I was more concerned about heat than a/c as it was the middle of winter. After suffering for several months I replaced the micro switch in the control unit - unfortunately, it made no difference (on my car) but as yours has no panel lights I believe the totally dead panel is a primary symptom of the failed micro switch that Rob refers to above.

You can also check whether or not the blowers are getting power as cracked solder joints in the footwell fuseboxes is a common problem on later cars, especially the 94MY. In my case that was the problem, both fuseboxes were faulty and a reflow of solder cured the issues.

Even though you could have 12v at either side of the blower fuse you can quickly check whether you have power from the fuse box to the blower. Do the driver's side first as it's easier to get to on a car with a passenger airbag like yours.

Remove the knee bolster and locate the plug at the blower. Undo the plug and probe the brown wire. That wire is always live and will show 12v even with the ignition off.

If that brown wire is dead, you almost certainly have a fusebox issue.

If you can get the blowers and panel operational and the a/c still doesn't engage, you may be low on refrigerant as the low-pressure switch will prevent the compressor relay from energizing and kicking on the compressor.

Let us know how you make out!

good luck with it

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Dewd (06-04-2014)