XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94' xj6 Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 94' xj6 Engine Trouble

Hello all,
I have a 94' xj6 that I've been driving for a few months now and the other day I had somekind of engine problem.

Here's what happen is the other day as i was pulling out of my driveway on to the rode something just felt weird. (From my driveway it's about 75 feet to a stop light) So, once I pulled out I have to stop almost immediately. When I let off the gas and stopped at the light my tachometer started dropping and went all the way down to about 600 rpm so, I let off the brake and inched forward a little. When the light changed I turned right and drove about 250 feet and pulled in to a parking lot.

So, once I was made it into the parking lot I shut the engine off and waited about 5 minutes then started it up. Everything seemed fine, the engine was idling at about 800rpm as it should. I put it in reverse and backed out as soon as I stopped to put the car in drive, the tac starter to drop. So i pulled back into the parking place and shut off the engine. I waited a few minutes and started the car again. This time I let it idle for about a minute and then I revved it up to about 1500-2000 rpm but when I let off the gas it drops back to 800 rpm stays there for about 15 seconds then slowly starts to drop. When it gets down to 200 rpm it stalls out.

The engine will start and run for about 60 seconds at 800 rpm then it slowly drop off and stall. Or if I give it any gas as soon as I let off it will drop off and stall.

I don't have any idea what could be wrong or any idea how to fix it.
Any help from you guy would be very helpful.

Thanks, Joe

Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check fuel pump pressure

Originally Posted by plasticonoman
Hello all,
I have a 94' xj6 that I've been driving for a few months now and the other day I had somekind of engine problem.

Here's what happen is the other day as i was pulling out of my driveway on to the rode something just felt weird. (From my driveway it's about 75 feet to a stop light) So, once I pulled out I have to stop almost immediately. When I let off the gas and stopped at the light my tachometer started dropping and went all the way down to about 600 rpm so, I let off the brake and inched forward a little. When the light changed I turned right and drove about 250 feet and pulled in to a parking lot.

So, once I was made it into the parking lot I shut the engine off and waited about 5 minutes then started it up. Everything seemed fine, the engine was idling at about 800rpm as it should. I put it in reverse and backed out as soon as I stopped to put the car in drive, the tac starter to drop. So i pulled back into the parking place and shut off the engine. I waited a few minutes and started the car again. This time I let it idle for about a minute and then I revved it up to about 1500-2000 rpm but when I let off the gas it drops back to 800 rpm stays there for about 15 seconds then slowly starts to drop. When it gets down to 200 rpm it stalls out.

The engine will start and run for about 60 seconds at 800 rpm then it slowly drop off and stall. Or if I give it any gas as soon as I let off it will drop off and stall.

I don't have any idea what could be wrong or any idea how to fix it.
Any help from you guy would be very helpful.

Thanks, Joe
sounds like fuel pump pressure test