XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Need help to change water rail hose on a '94 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to change water rail hose on a '94 XJ6

Desperate for some advice to change water rail hose. 1994 XJ6 4.0 L , 108,600 mi. I'm hoping someone knows an easier way than removing the intake. Call me crazy but I have squeezed the hose down through the intake. I have the firewall end on but can't seem to work the water pump end on.
I have searched all through the forums here but can't find any previous posts. Is this the proper name for this hose? that's how the parts store ordered it.
I do have a haynes book but it's not real detailed with photos of the steps and I'd rather not take off parts that aren't absolutely necessary .

Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

First off I have not done this job myself, so went and had a look at the 94.

You might have a chance if you can get under the car, but if you do not have access to garage ramps, whatever you do, do not rely on car jacks to give you lift.

You might also find that leaving the firewall end free for the moment will give you a bit more free movement.

Failing that, then off with the intake.

Stay safe

Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 AM

Thank you for the reply. I tried to get to the hose underneath ,can't get to it. Looks like the intake has to come off. Got any ideas what absolutely has to come off ? I know how peculiar these cars can be so I don't want to cause another problem . I have a Haynes manual, but we all know how those are with something like this.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Default Update

I got the hose on finally ! Tried to get at it underneath , that's a no go. After studying and thinking things over , I decided to go after it by removing the thermostat "housing" . This is the part where the top radiator hose and the and the two coolant tank hoses meet. I also had to remove the belt on what I think is the A.I.R. pump , loosen the alternator , and remove the serpentine belt . I did this to ensure I would have enough room to swing the thermostat housing out of the way . Also the top two water pump bolts have to be removed, because there is a bracket that the thermostat housing and the A.I.R. pump sit on , those two bolts go through it and there is a short hose connected to the bottom of the thermo housing. After the thermo housing is out of the way I could reach up under the intake and pull the hose on to the water pump. I use a small bead of dishwashing detergent smeared on the inside of the hose to help slide it on . (This tip was relayed to me buy a mechanic friend years ago)
I chose to do this because I had gotten a quote from my shop of $250-$300 , which i didn't think was unreasonable , but being right after Christmas was going to break the bank!
Also I checked at my local Parts store for the intake gasket , which listed for $139 ! and they were out of it and did not know when they would be able to get one !
I've been keeping an eye on her after driving all week and no leaks , yet !
I have to go out today and drain her again because I didn't get the anti-freeze mixture right , and I left off the two spacers that go behind the two top water pump bolts that go through the bracket.
If anyone needs further details let me know and I'll be glad to fill in the gray areas .
If anyone thinks this was a crazy way of doing things I'd love to hear that too.
It took me about 8-9 hrs to do the job . I was taking my time, I had to do it in the front drive , it was sunny but cold as a well diggers a**, temp was about 35 F. and the usual drop and retrieving stuff added an hour or so. It could probably be done in 4-5 hrs.
Hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem . Sure is a pain in the neck for a $10 hose , but I still love the old girl.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to do mine in a parking lot. I just squeezed my hand down through the intake and my other hand in from the water pump side. Took a little time and doing but didn't remove anything but the remains of the old hose and a vacuum line connector.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:01 PM

I am actually having the same problem with that hose right now, my problem is removing the belt on the AC Compressor I believe it is. I dont see how the guy above me managed to squeeze his hand in without removing anything, must be that guy on that Buger King commercial. Whats the easiest way to do this by yourself, ANY help is appreciated.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Remove the air filter housing, MAFS, air pump and anything else in your way including the short bypass hose (get a new one while you are at it). A LONG 1/4" drive extension and a 6mm flex socket will get to the hose clamps. Cut the hose with a utility knife and pull it out. I always apply some silicone based teflon grease (VOLVO brake grease) or other rubber compatible grease to help slide the hose on. We always called it the "MF" hose at the dealer. No one liked doing them.

bob gauff

Old 03-08-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks alot, I have to get a 10mm socket to get the belt loose from the tensioner, the one I have is stripped and almost stripped the bolt. Some kinda way the people that put the hose in last, I guess, left the clamp's screw on the bottom side. But you mentioning cutting the hose turned on a light, lol. I bought an aftermarket flex hose, from Advance Auto for it, because the OEM hose is hard to locate, locally. For the record everyone is really helpful on this board. ( The guy that sold me this car thought that the head gasket was blown, but it was just this hose... he never had it officially 'looked at' sold it for 800 and it is an excellent car)