XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Any experience with the "Oil filter housing"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Any experience with the "Oil filter housing"?

So thats what I am calling it. On my 90 and maybe other years there is a block that has the oil cooler hoses running off of it. This block mounts to the engine block and is where the oil filter screwes on to.

I have an oil leak here, it could be from the hoses but I am fairly certain it is comming from the space between the engine block and this oil filter housing deal. At first the parts guy at Jaguar couldnt find the gaskets in his database but the mechanic came in and found it for him.

I ordered the 2 gaskets he said were there and got a call a week later and was told the gaskets are no longer availible for at least a year.

So their diagram showed no gasket, do they just use some sort of gasket compound? How would Jaguar fix this if I took my car to them?

I found the two gaskets I need online here: http://www.partstrain.com/store/?PN=...L,universal:0)

It is going to be a job to get to this as I think most of the throttle body etc will need to be removed to gain enough access.

Any words of wisdom? Things to check for/clean while the throttl body is appart?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 PM

Ok I took it appart today. First was first my throttle body was disgusting. Full of oil, grime, and carbon. The sensors are so caked I am surprised they even work. I had to take off a couple pieces of the intake manifold to get to the nuts as well because i didn't have an extension.

I took off the oil filter housing, and much to my chigrin I think the oil was leaking from that hoses(o rings) instead of the housing itself. No gaskets are used, it was all what looked to be Permatex for the housing. That oil cooler diverter the jag mechanic told me to get is looking much more enticing.

So I got the throttle body clean and the oil filter housing off(sadly I think it was only the o rings so I made work). The intake is full of oil and carbon and I am sure my injectors are ugly as well. Should I try to clean it up? I was thinking about putting a few tablespoons of seafoam into each cyclinder with a tube and manual rotating the engine a few times and let her soak untill I can get it all back together...

Also, there is this thing right past the throttle body that is mounted to the underside of the manifold. It is what appears to be the EGR inlet into the intake and fuel vapor inlet from the fuel vapor canister. It is covered in carbon(my egr valve has been broken for sometime...) It also has an electrical connection. Can I use solvent on this? or is that normal buildup I should just leave alone.

Last edited by gunnerman; 12-22-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

I would clean the throttle body with solvent, we call it "carby cleaner" here in the colonies. Take your time, do it well. The TPS is probably full of oil also, so give it a good clean, as they do fail with oil ingress.

I would run some "decent" injector cleaner in your fuel for some time and clean the internals of the injectors, which is way more important than the outside appearance, in my opinion.

Put some new o/rings on those hoses, they are probably the originals, and have lasted well??, and the new will probably last just as long.

Mess with the other stuff at your discretion, we dont have EGR, so no idea what gremlins you may upset.

I ALWAYS change my oil filter from the top, that way the intake bellows needs to be removed, and then you can wipe all that oil/crud out of it BEFORE it builds up and gets sucked into the throttle body and screws with the TPS and other things, but then I am "old" and preventative maintenence just makes sense to me.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I run a 1990 XJ40 but luckily have not had this problem. I read in one of the Jaguar magazines that the oil cooler on the AJ6 engine is not really required and is a product of Jaguar over engineering.There is a blanking piece that can be utilised and is available, to blank off the inlet and outlets. It would be great if some one more knowledgeable about the AJ6 engine could confirm this. I know this will not solve your leak but I thought you may be interested.
Regards,
Dave.
XKR and XJ40 for my sins

Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 AM

Yeah, I do know about the blanking piece. The jag mechanic mentioned it to me and I will pick one up after my vaccation. They run about 60 bucks OE.

I have cleaned the throttle body well but I am not taking off the TPS. I hear it is a PITA to get back on right. It is also clearly stated to not get solvent anywhere near the thing and use just a clean cloth. There is a small hole in the bottom of the throttle body for air to go in and out, no oil appeared to be comming out of it.

I hope this fixes my running problem but I am doubtful. Yes I am fixing an oil leak but the car also has a problem that sometimes when driving it has so little power that it can hardly get up to 55 mph and sometimes it wont go over 3500 rpm(like a governor) with a load and sometimes it drives fine.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

At the risk of repeating what you may already know.

Change the fuel filter, common lack of grunt cause.

Fuel pump next, depending on its age/milaege (they have an AVERAGE life of 100k miles+/-).

TPS next, and it is NOT that scary. I use the 3 wire TPS from the XJ40 range on our V12's, and always give them a good clean before fitting coz I always get s/h units and they are covered in oil and crud.

Blocked cat/s is another power cause.

The list goes on, that is just some quicky common suspects from my brain hahaha, on Christmas eve.

ENJOY

Old 12-24-2010, 01:22 PM

Fuel filter and pump are only about 3k miles old. Whoever the damn BOSCH engineers were on the fuel rail convieniently forgot to put in a good spot to test pressure...

I took the TPS off yesterday and just said screw it. The little hole where the throttle goes into was full of oil but otherwise it is a sealed unit and impossible to open any further. I guess I will try and test it and see if it is working...

but yeah you are saying exactly what I was thinking. I almost think it is the CATs because the smell when idling can be a bit funky. Anyhow, gonna go put it all back together and see how she rolls.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 PM

So got the car all back together, and it ran like a brand new car all the way into town. Come time to come home the darn thing would not go over 3k RPM again and was a struggle to get her up to 75 on flat highway.

Almost like the ECU isin't giving it fuel.