XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Back Again... TLC plan for '92 Sovereign

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 08:24 AM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Back Again... TLC plan for '92 Sovereign

Hey guys! It's been a while!

Finally giving my XJ40 some much needed TLC after sitting on the back burner for about a year. Aside from a 30 minute drive every few months, I've been daily driving my Range Rover instead. The car has been sitting outside, but has since been upgraded to a spot in the garage. Time to get some work done! Projects include:

-Replaced the 5 year old Interstate that's reading no more than 10.5v after a deep charge. Replaced with a DieHard Platinum AGM H6, which fits the larger TSB-retrofit battery tray in my underhood-battery '92.

-Windshield replacement scheduled for next week. Not sure if the replacement will have a tint band or not. My original Triplex windshield does not. I have a crack down the center of the glass, and it's very, very pitted. It will make night and rainy driving far more enjoyable! Dropping it off at the shop the night before, they have the whole day to work. I had a mobile service replace the glass on my X305, it was FAR too rushed as rain was moving in. I ended up with a dash-to-windshield rubbing noise over even the lightest of bumps...

-Replacing both rear wheel speed sensors with a used set with the newer silicone-like wire insulation, that seems MUCH more impervious to cracking than the originals. (I sloppily rebuilt my originals with new cable, but they have since started to fail again)

-Finally converting the HSMO power-steering system to ATF with the removal of the SLS valve block, engine-mounted pump, and Y-hose, and capping the return on the reservoir.

-Finally(!) getting to the bottom of a water leak in the trunk (I have surface mold appearing on the hard fiber boot lid liner since the car has been parked in the weather. Carpets have always gotten wet. Really need to strip the trunk fully and get locked inside with a flashlight while someone hoses the car down. I have already replaced the trunk seal to no avail. Fuel filler drain is working correctly.

-Finishing up the switch mounting of my aftermarket seat heater kits that I already installed under the leather covers of the seat squabs and backs. Just need to punch out the holes in the center console where the factory original heated seat buttons go, and mount the switches.

-Refinishing the front seat leather with filler, a good sanding and re-dye with Isis Blue. I color tested the dye on the back of the rear-seat headrests and did the rear seats. It's a perfect match. Can't wait to refinish the fronts!

-Rear suspension bushings and/or U-joints will need to be done as I get a click as the rear suspension loads/unloads when changing from forward to reverse.

-Front sway bar links and bushings to eliminate some thumping over potholes

Once this work is done, my plan is to have the right rear quarter worked on (there's rust at the joint between the E-pillar and the rear quarter finisher from previous body work done 20 years ago). Also a couple other spots of rust to be worked on, including under the boot lid finisher and under the RH tail lamp assembly. Once the rust is removed, I plan on having the car repainted in it's original Diamond Blue Metallic!

Wish me luck guys. I hope to capture pics and videos of some of the work to share.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,136 Likes on 796 Posts

Good luck, you know what you're up against at least as well as anyone. You'll have it no problem.

The following users liked this post:
NTL1991 (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 06:05 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Thanks, Jerry!

I'm finding my main battle has been parts (used and new) availability! NLA seems to be the rule now.

I installed both rear ABS wheel speed sensors last week, and I've been enjoying the glorious lack of ANTI LOCK on my dash!

Tomorrow the original windshield gets replaced, so it's getting dropped off tonight and they have the whole day to do it at their shop at their pace. I have my original non-dim mirror installed, but will be installing my mid-90's Gentex auto-dimming mirror w/ compass when I get the car back. It's a huge improvement over the original. I'm in the process of searching out a Gentex that also has HomeLink as well.

Oil changed today, OE filter, new drain plug washer, 8.5q full-synthetic Castrol Edge. Feels good getting back into the car.

Also adjusted the JL Audio Amplifier I have mounted in the trunk to power the 2 under-seat subwoofers. I replaced all four door speakers with 4" Focal ISC 100's, being driven from my JVC Arsenal headunit. The sound difference is like night and day with the subs being driven independently, and the frequency filters correctly adjusted to not overpower the small door speakers. Couldn't be happier.

My LH blower motor assembly is coming in within a couple days. I've had the original out a few times, it bench tests PERFECTLY, but once it's back in the car, the wheel is getting hung up or the housing is getting distorted or something silly. The recirc flap hinge is broken too, so the new unit will help things immensely.

A while back I converted the car back to R-12 to get better AC performance (Got my EPA license to legally buy the freon and do the work, as well). I took the compressor out, drained the oil and flushed the system, using Ester oil instead of PAG or Mineral. Ester oil gives me the ability to either run R134a or R12, as it's compatible with both. The only thing that would need to change are the service adapters. I need to recharge the system and I might go back to R134a for now, for the convenience and availability of it.

I need to get a rear window defroster repair kit, I have a couple lines that don't have continuity and will need to be repaired. The process is easy enough, just takes a little time.

When I change the blower motor, I may take the cluster out and replace the bulbs with new or LED. I have one light out on the info display, and the speedometer needle light is finicky. Just little things!

Hope everyone is well this new year.