XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

blower

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default blower

I know there are many posts on the heater A/C blower on here.
but decided to start a new thread regarding mine.

At this stage I still haven't opened her up to check out why the blower isn't working.

The first thing I notice is that there must be a dead short there somwhere.
When I got the car I noticed the fuse was blown and replaced it.

When I tried out the blower it again blew out the fuse.
So for now I just drive around with it switched off..... a little uncomfortable considering it is our summer.

The other day after removing the aftermarket installed radio, I found that the clock no longer stayed illuminated after the car is turned off.
I suspected that maybe the radio was somehow wired into the clock and as soon as I removed the radio, the clock started functioning as it should.

Today just out of curiosity, I decided to try the blower, in hopes that maybe the radio may have been causing a short in that too....
Alas, the blower blew yet another fuse (left side panel..... left hand aircon fan 20amp) always this fuse and no other.

I am guessing there is either a short in the wiring loom to the left hand fan or the left hand fan motor itself.
As yet I still have not taken it apart to check anything.

Thing is..... when looking at the exploded views of the heater unit, I am only seeing the one blower.

I can only assume there are more than one control modules to the system and this is what they are referring to.

I would appreciate clarification on this point.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Robert,

There are two blower assemblies, one in each foot well. Sounds like the one may have a seized motor, causing the fuse to blow, or your idea of a short. The two blowers work as opposing forces driving air flow through the CCU assembly. If one fails, the other blower simply flows to the failed side, thus greatly reducing any flow in the vehicle.

You really won't know much until you take it out, or at least ensure the short isn't between the connector to the fuse block. I'm thinking you have issue with the blower itself.

I always cringe when I hear about "after market" items being added to the Jaguar harness. Most, not all, don't know what they're doing. Hope it all turns out well.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Rob
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I cringe whenever I see modifications on any car....
but the Jags really do seem a little more finicky as far as tampering with the loom.

Firstly thank you for clearing that up about the two blowers.
I tend to agree.... it has to be either a seized fan/motor or a short between the fuze and the switch or motor. I guess I am just stating the obvious lol.

Thing is there is nothing at all on either side....as far as blowing is concerned.....
as soon as I turn on the controller.... whether auto or manual.... it blows the fuse, but only the left.

Like you said I will have to take it out and give it a thorough going over anyway.... and check all the wiring in between.
And it's not like there is any shortage of step by step tutorials on here lol

At this stage it is not of major importance. I have other things that need tending to first.