central locking

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default central locking

Ok,
So here's the thing.

I noticed today that when I use the key in the passenger door to lock/unlock
it only locks/unlocks that door and the two back doors, not the driver's door.

I also noticed that I can only go through that process once and then the central locking part of it does not function and only locks/unlocks the passenger door and I need to reset the central locking using the driver door lock. (usually be climbing in the car and depressing both door locks simultaneously) to get central locking working again.

Also noticed that when using the panic override lock on the console.... it too does not lock the driver's door....
It does wind windows and lock all other doors though.

I await all the words of wisdom.......

Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Whip off the drivers side door panel and adjust/clean everything up?

It's been a long while since I was in door handle land but as I remember there's a microswitch in there and like most microswitches they can be adjusted by slackening them off and moving the position slightly and/or bending tabs.

That's where I'd start anyway.

all the best

Larry

The following users liked this post:
red_101au (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Red,

Did you take apart the Central Locking module and examine it for burns, bulging components, bad solder joints?

Those micro-switches are a pain to get to , gotta take the whole door handle out to get to the adjustment set screw, unless you're a magician. Item 3 in the following:

Door Lock Heater and Microswitch - Parts For XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

red_101au (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Red
I agree with Rob about the switch #3 in the diagram, absolute pain. I removed the door handle and harness. My Problem was drvr door. the small metal lever with the roller assy. on it will not be mating with the lock arm mechanism as it comes down. you can see this very easily with the handle removed. you will have to listen for the click of the switch as you make adjustments . adjustment is bending the lever to make contact. this switch is riveted in place to a bracket. loosening the bracket screws did not help my situation.

You posted that your system was working properly when you performed the connector and panic toggle test. ??? What happened, is your battery weak?

Last edited by Greykitty; 03-29-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: i
red_101au (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Red,

Did you take apart the Central Locking module and examine it for burns, bulging components, bad solder joints?

Those micro-switches are a pain to get to , gotta take the whole door handle out to get to the adjustment set screw, unless you're a magician. Item 3 in the following:

Door Lock Heater and Microswitch - Parts For XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK
No I haven't done anything about it at all at this time...
I have had the door handle out several times now as it has locked me out several times.

I have had the passenger door lock and not be able t unlock it even from inside the car....

I am under the impression I may have the operating lever set a little too sensitive... thus the door sometimes believes the handle is up while trying to unlock the door.

I have been playing with getting that happy medium....
Another possibility is that I have knocked the microswitch out of alignment, but for the most part it works fine.

The situation seems to be all to do with the passenger door.... the key will lock and unlock the doors (with the exception of the driver door) but it will only do it once.... after the one time it will no longer lock/unlock the other doors until I reset it by climbing in the car and depress and raise both front door locks simultaneously.

but at no time will the passenger door or the panic button lock the driver door.

no I haven't checked the board at all yet in the central locking unit...
that will be one of the places I will be looking.
It's all just a matter of trial and error..... isolating parts til I get the right one hehehe.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Greykitty
Red
You posted that your system was working properly when you performed the connector and panic toggle test. ??? What happened, is your battery weak?
Yes mate the system was and is still working...
The problem I mention is only if I use the passenger door.
if I use the driver door (99.9% of the time) all doors lock no problem.

I will eventually track down and fix this problem too.
I assume that when the remote fob is activated it must run through the same circuitry that the driver door does as when I tested the receiver and bridged the plug.... the doors do indeed lock.
If this is the case the remote fob will still function normally

As for the battery...... it has been faulty from the day I got the car.... having to charge it on a nightly basis as it would only hold a charge for 12 hours or so while standing. and would only charge to 75% on the charger.

I have now bought a brand new battery about 10 days ago and it all seems fine now and plenty of charge.

Last edited by red_101au; 03-29-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Kay
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have few questions about central locking too, my -91 gives a horrible shrieking sound from the boot lock if it is not in the locked position (so that central locking will not open it at any time)...

My question is that how easy it would be to fix this problem, another thing that slightly bothers me is that there is a button to open the trunk in the glove compartment, all that it does is making a clicking sound but it does not open the boot, locked or unlocked. If that would work should it open the boot even if it's locked with the key.

Owners manal might have few answers to this, I know that, thing is that as my car is originally from Belgium the manual is in dutch and that is not included in my language skills.

Kay

Old 04-02-2014, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kay
I have few questions about central locking too, my -91 gives a horrible shrieking sound from the boot lock if it is not in the locked position (so that central locking will not open it at any time)...

My question is that how easy it would be to fix this problem, another thing that slightly bothers me is that there is a button to open the trunk in the glove compartment, all that it does is making a clicking sound but it does not open the boot, locked or unlocked. If that would work should it open the boot even if it's locked with the key.

Owners manal might have few answers to this, I know that, thing is that as my car is originally from Belgium the manual is in dutch and that is not included in my language skills.

Kay

Just out of curiosity....
The keylock for your boot....
you probably already know but I will mention it anyway.

For it to operate with the central locking, the key slot needs to be placed in the vertical position..... if you have locked the boot manually by turning the key clockwise so the slot is horizontal... it will not open with the remote or central locking.
same goes for locking it if it is fully counter clockwise.

anyway just threw it out there incase you overlooked that

Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Kay

Red, thanks for the reply.

The lock opens through the central looking but gives a horrible shriek as it opens, when locked/openedmanually it does not give that sound. I believe it is something in the central locking part of that lock.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kay

The lock opens through the central looking but gives a horrible shriek as it opens, when locked/openedmanually it does not give that sound. I believe it is something in the central locking part of that lock.
Oh ok....
I am sorry I misread your post lol

So it all works, just gives a shriek...

That I can not answer, I am sure someone on here may have the answer for you.

Can you isolate which area the shriek is coming from?
You say it is actually coming from the boot lock, is this right?
I personally can not imagine what could even make that noise in the lock itself. unless it is the solenoid, I assume it has one to open the boot.

As for the glove compartment button.... I think it should open the boot regardless of the state of locking of the key barrel, as this is manually triggering the lock inside the boot.
but I could be wrong on that.... mine is not fitted with this feature, so I cannot check that.

I hope someone else can offer you some real answers.... good luck with it

Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Kay

Thank you again Red,
yes it is the boot lock that shrieks, not a big problem as it is quiet if the boot is locked with the key so that it does not open with central locking.

Oh well, my Kitten does have her share of quirks

Kay

Last edited by Kay; 04-02-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 AM

no probs.... sorry can't offer any solution.... someone may shed some light on it for you.

My baby also has her many problems... I am slowly but surely sorting them out.

I guess it adds to her personality lol

Kay (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Kay,

To my knowledge there isn't any sort of audible sounder affiliated with the boot lock or actuator. Why don't you remove the boot light plate (gently pry the pins with light pressure) and apply some electrical cleaner to the various plugs and perhaps some WD40 or equivalent to the actuator and lock itself. Also, may help to clean the grounds located on each side of the boot, located behind the carpet liner panels.

Originally Posted by Kay

Old 04-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Kay

Cleaned and oiled the lock today, the shreiking sound seems to be gone. There remains kind of whirring sound but as it is not loud I think I will let it go.

Got the glovecompartment button working too, well atleast when the boot lock is not manually in fully locked position. Might look into that later to see if I can get it to work when the boot is manually locked too, might be that it is not supposed to?

Thanks you all for the advice

Kay

Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kay
Cleaned and oiled the lock today, the shreiking sound seems to be gone. There remains kind of whirring sound but as it is not loud I think I will let it go.

Got the glovecompartment button working too, well atleast when the boot lock is not manually in fully locked position. Might look into that later to see if I can get it to work when the boot is manually locked too, might be that it is not supposed to?

Thanks you all for the advice

Kay
good to know you have reduced the noise at least...
the whirring sound is that also coming from the lock or just from the boot area in general....
as that quite possibly could be the fuel pump.

as for the boot release in the glove compartment....
I do not know if it is supposed to work whilst the boot is manually locked/unlocked (ie key in either horizontal position)
I know that when using the central locking feature, the key needs to be in the vertical position to lock/unlock the boot, so I can only assume the boot release in the glovebox will possibly be the same.

I am sure someone with the same MY will be able to answer that for you

Last edited by red_101au; 04-05-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Kay (04-06-2014)