XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Central Locking XJ40

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Central Locking XJ40

91' Sovereign. When using key (no fob remote or chipped key), sometimes only the driver's door will lock/unlock. Other 3 doors, fuel and boot will not unlock. At these time pressing down on the lock takes a lot of effort.

Then on next use system will work fine. When system is not working, the dash rocker switch will no work either.

I saw a 2015 post on this, but I'm sorry it did not make sense. I guess this guy had some optional security system that complicated a solution?

No security system, just woks whenever it wants. Can anyone help me out, please?

Jagbro

Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Hi Jagbro,

My first suspicion is that the lock linkages and actuators inside the doors, fuel filler box and trunk need to be cleaned, lubricated, and possibly adjusted. It is also possible that the actuator motors need to be cleaned and lubricated. Joe77 at the Jag-Lovers forum posted a photo album showing how to service the motors:

Fixing Door Actuator on '94 XJ40

I also found that on our '93 the little chrome ferrules or grommets that fit around the lock posts at the top of the door trim can become tilted, possibly because the top trim panel deforms over the years. The tilted grommet adds resistance to the movement of the lock post. It would be worth checking the grommets first and lubricating the parts of the posts that move through the grommets with a plastic-safe lubricant like white lithium grease.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you will probably need to open the doors and access the fuel filler flap latch and trunk latch to clean and lubricate all the moving parts and ensure the motors and solenoids are working properly.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-13-2017 at 10:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (02-17-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How do I get the doors panels off? Seems on the lower panel, simply remove the door light and the screws behind the lens, then the panel pops off the grommets in the door?

But how do I get the upper panel off?

Jagbro

Old 02-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagbro
How do I get the doors panels off? Seems on the lower panel, simply remove the door light and the screws behind the lens, then the panel pops off the grommets in the door?

But how do I get the upper panel off?

From memory, you use a small flat-bladed screwdriver to pry up the small square flap inside the black plastic door handle cup. Behind the flap is a screw, which I think has a Phillips head. Remove that and the handle trim and cup can be removed. Now carefully pry up that end of the wood veneer strip and slide it forward (or rearward?) and its clips will release.

Behind the wood veneer strip are a few screws. Remove those and the upper vinyl trim panel can be lifted up off of clips that secure its upper edge and over the door lock post.

The arm rest is secured by two or three screws along its lower edge that are hidden by small plastic covers. Carefully pry out the covers and remove the screws, which I believe also have Phillips heads.

I can't recall for certain how to remove the puddle lamp lens but I think it slides off toward the rear of the door. Behind the lens may be a screw that needs to be removed.

The sides and lower edge of the main door panel are secured by "fir tree" type plastic press fasteners that mate to "cowboy hat" female receptacles in the metal door. Just use a trim tool to carefully pry the edges and bottom out.

As the door panel is coming free, support it on a knee and look behind it for a few electrical connectors that need to be disconnected.

I've probably forgotten something but that is the general idea.

Hopefully others will add whatever I've missed or correct any errors in the above.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-14-2017 at 02:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (02-17-2017), frenchfairplaydriver (09-12-2017), Lawrence (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

*snap*

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
Don B (09-12-2017), frenchfairplaydriver (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 01:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget one screw behind the a/c rubber boot, on the front of the front door. Just pull the rubber aside a little and you will see it.

As for the puddle light removal, an o'ring tool slipped behind the lens near the indent will make it release with ease.

The following 2 users liked this post by muzz:
Don B (09-12-2017), frenchfairplaydriver (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 03:45 AM
Received 85 Likes on 47 Posts

hello Jagbro,
a very helpful link :
SOVEJAG XJ40

The following 2 users liked this post by frenchfairplaydriver:
Don B (09-12-2017), Lawrence (09-12-2017)