XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Climate Control Fans - Good airflow, but sounds intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Climate Control Fans - Good airflow, but sounds intermittent

Hi there,

I noticed last night driving back from work (it's been in the 40's F around here). My heater (on max) blows plenty of air out of both sides of the car, but I noticed once when coming to a stop, it sounded like the driver's side fan just kicked on, and the fans were louder. I didn't really notice a difference in flow, though.

Would I notice a major difference if the driver's side fan was intermittently operating? Do solder joint issues at the fuse boxes effect 1992MY XJ6's too?

It's never happened before, but maybe the cold weather is effecting it?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by NTL1991; 10-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Originally Posted by NTL1991
Hi there,

I noticed last night driving back from work (it's been in the 40's F around here). My heater (on max) blows plenty of air out of both sides of the car, but I noticed once when coming to a stop, it sounded like the driver's side fan just kicked on, and the fans were louder. I didn't really notice a difference in flow, though.

Would I noticed a major difference if the driver's side fan was intermittently operating. Do solder joint issues at the fuse boxes effect 1992MY XJ6's too?

It's never happened before, but maybe the cold weather is effecting it?

Thanks,
Nick
Hey Nick, not sure exactly what you are asking, but yes, you would notice an airflow change if one fan wasn't operational.

AFAIK, when the climate control system is set to auto, fan speed will vary depending on how far the temp range is set from one temp to another - at least that's how mine seems to operate.

For instance, keeping mine set at low with the a/c lamp lit, (auto mode on a 94) and temp set at say 21C (Canadian model is Celsius), if I move temp up to say 25, a short time afterwards the fan speed increases - I can hear the difference.

I first noticed this phenomenon when I had the heat cranked with the sunroof open and as before fan set to low.

At first I thought there was a problem as it was set to "low" but I think that's how it's supposed to operate. As soon as the cabin reaches 25, it seems to return to normal "low" speed.

I think the idea is that when it's in auto mode, it tries to achieve the new cabin temp setting as quickly as possible - which could take quite a while on the low setting.

Is it possible that you're hearing the fan speed adjust to a chilly cabin with unassisted flow (i.e. forward motion) when you're at a stop and it's actually working properly? Hope so!

cheers

Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Interesting, I didn't think about the system adjusting speed to compensate for no "ram air". I only run the system in Auto mode, which does adjust the vent temperature pretty well; I'm surprised how fast the temperature adjusts when moving the Face Vent slider, it's like a second flat.

It might be that I'm used to my Oldsmobile, which had an almost stepless fan with about 6 different speeds.

With winter coming, and how prevalent these kinds of issues are with these cars, I was a bit nervous!

I might remove the fuse for each side, so I can hear and feel what it's like with a fan out.

Thanks Lawrence!

-Nick