XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Climate Control Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Issues!

Against my better judgement I bought a 91 XJ6 off a customer of mine Always loved Jags and for $400 I can't afford not to drive one! Well where to start Im a mechanic so all the brake and chassis issues were straight forward and delt with. Onto the electrical issues!!!!! Ill start with the Heater the left blower was working on low and seemed to be only blowing out one side of the defrost. I pulled both blowers (Right side was fun!!! Do ya think Jag could use any more fuses or relays??) put 12v to the left side fan works fine hooked up toggle and installed a blower resistor from one of my wrecks (temp fix and freakin ugly!!). The right side on the other hand was submersed in water and SIEZED!!!! After a few hours of fluid filming and working the motor I got it working drilled a small hole in the bottom and installed a drain (Id rather have a wet floor mat than a f***ked blower) and conected it to same toggle. I now have both fans working on high and am not freezing anymore at least. I would like to solve this problem. The dash controls do nothing no low med high fan no temp control no vent control etc. I have no vacuum to the servos on the blower units so I am assuming I have a problem with them as well. Not sure where to go next I have read alot about this problem and am leaning towards a proccesor problem or control (in the dash) problem. Anyone out there that have any thoughts on this matter I would really like to at least determine what is not working before I start ripping my dash apart while scratching my head!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

There was a common issue with early XJ40s with the heater control panel dying. I don't know if yours is the same but should be straight forward to check.

The problem with the panel was a small micro switch on the circuit board for the on/off/speed control knob. The switch can be replaced by drilling off the rivets and getting something to fit from your local electronics store. You could also try contact cleaner on it before replacing.

I fixed a few like this many years ago.

The following users liked this post:
WhyDidIBuyaJag (02-21-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Here is the REALLY OLD TSB.

I have done DOZENS of these repairs.

Hope it helps.

bob gauff

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Cadillac (02-18-2012), JimC64 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Thanx guys!!! Thats where I was headed. What would you recomend attempting to do, clean/rebuild or just buy a new reman panel? It seems that there is more going on that just a switch ie no vacuum no temp control nothing on the auto setting... well lets just say Nothing works. Does the micro switch control the rest of these functions? Sorry for all the questions but I have looked at alot of diagrams and cannot seem to figure out exactly what the 'sensors/circuit boards?' that seem to control one of the relays in each of the blower motor boxes are for. I am assuming they are a very complicated 'resistor'. If so can they be a culprit because as I mentioned the right side was basically under water, both sides were coroded and not looking all that great. Would like to get your thoughts on this before I remove the heater boxes again (especially right side).

Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

None of the lights on that panel work either?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM

When the switch fails, NOTHING works. The panel will not operate any functions.

bob gauff

Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Thank you! Ive looked for JLM11240 but all I seem to get is reman panels?? What seems to be a simple Micro switch cant be $150-$200 w/ $200 core??? Or is it? Anyone have a supplier for the switch and or would Jag still have it (the nearest dealer is 10hrs away). Im gonna try to get the one I have working. Next question. I have to reconnect the blowers I bypassed, will the system work properally if I only connect the left blower back up to test or do I need both hooked up (the right side is such a pain I only want to re & re it once more). Once again thanx for the help!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

The switch is a bog standard micro switch (called sub miniature I think). I have some switches in my garage that I'm fairly sure are left over from when I fixed a few of these in the past. The switches I have are are these

Buy Micro Switches Switch;Economical;SUBMIN.;Snap Action;SOLD.TERM.;PIN PLUNG.;STD LOAD Actuator Omron SS-5 online from RS for next day delivery.

I'm sure you can source these or something the same from your favourite electronics store (it would probably be Maplins in the UK). The important thing is the spacing of the holes (which I think is industry standard) and the overall size.

The blower units will work independently so no need to rebuild both for testing.

The following users liked this post:
WhyDidIBuyaJag (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 PM

I bought several micro switches and a box of #2-56 screws and nuts for repair of the control panel. It is not rocket science to get a micro switch and some fasteners to repair the control panel.

You can buy the repair kit from Jaguar (if it is still available) but just buy some parts and get it repaired.

bob gauff

Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks again! I have found the switch online (nearest electronics store is 5hr drive) and will attempt the fix when it arrives. Ill let ya know how it goes. Im sure Ill have more questions.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM

How did you go with the repair. I have the same prob in the father-in-laws car. pulled the fan assys , test ok, someone had cut through both looms to the fan control assy,. rejoined them but the only thing I get is a light behind the manual/auto switch.
I've checked the micro switch but I'm still left scratching my head. Has anyone got a proper wiring diagram for a 87. the ones i've seen dont quite match the car.
Cheers

Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Had Anyone have heard back from "WhyDidIbuyaJjag" ? How did he fix his climate control? My 91 Jag has the same problem so I want to know this answer. Thanks