XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cooling fans

I have concerns. My electric cooling fans don't turn on under any circumstances, although the larger clutch fan is always working, due to being connected by pulleys. Other than the relay for the fans, I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. Has anyone else had these problems? Oh, and on the shroud, one of the flaps broke off..

Last edited by dhatfield12; 09-28-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

What kind of car do you have? (model, vin etc)

If you add those details to your signature, that info will be included automatically in every post. Even though you may quote the car's year, Model Year isn't really enough, you need to add that AND the last six numbers of the VIN.

To insert this info, first click on your username anywhere it appears on the page (e.g. top right). Then, when the page loads, you'll see a long black menu bar near the top with the topics:

UserCP - FAQ - Community - Calendar - new posts - search - ....etc etc...... - log out

Click on "UserCP" - this will open the User Control Panel.

on the left, in the vertical menu, click on "edit signature".

When the page loads, enter your car's info into the text box and click the Save Signature button.

Cheers

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, I went and grabbed the last six digits and added it to the signature. Should show now

Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm assuming your 1991 is the same as my 1992. There is the primary belt-driven cooling fan which has a thermostatic clutch. There is also one electric cooling fan in front of the condenser, which is controlled by a thermal switch located at the radiator. This switch closes at about 200 degrees F, energizing the cooling fan regardless of ignition switch position.

I have never seen mine on automatically. I have, however, wired the fan relay to the compressor clutch relay so the fan was energized any time the compressor clutch was, in an attempt to improve A/C performance at low road/engine speeds.

I think it's pretty common for the switches to fail with age. Even when my car blew a heater hose, and was close to overheating, the fan still did not run. It's probably like yours, in need of replacing.

-Nick

Last edited by NTL1991; 09-28-2017 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-28-2017)