XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

dim headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Angry dim headlight

After removing the LH headlight to get rid of the condensation, I replaced the unit and set the car up on the flat to re-aim the beams.

The LH beam was out of line slightly, but burned a bit brighter than the RH. At first I thought it was the bulb(s) so I swapped the bulbs over - didn't make a difference though, the RH was still less bright ...not a lot, but enough to give the car a slight wink when viewed straight-on ..

Next I removed and cleaned the ground on the wing, no difference. I had a spare BFM for that side, so swapped that too and still the RH beam was less bright.

I also noticed the aim for the RH could use some tweaking, but found the adjusters a bit stiff to turn so decided to go to the parts stash and pull out the spare RH headlight from the parts car and swap over the entire headlight.

The adjusters on the parts car light basket were also pretty stiff so I lubed them up and got them working smoothly before installing it in the car.

In order to reach the most inboard mounting nut, it's easier if you make some room by prying off the multi relay (DBC 10005) clipped on the opposite side of the sheet metal to the BFM. This relay has red text and a red multi-plug connector. It controls a few things incl the headlamp washers and the low-beam alarm headlight flash circuit.

Looking at the red plug, on my car it was covered with an oily mist so I cleaned it off with some degreaser then unplugged it. Theplug teminals were not as bright as they should be, a little bit greyer and oxidised than I like to see, so got in there are cleaned them up using contact cleaner and a few scrapes.

Re-plugged and the headlight brightness was back to normal, so no doubt the high resistance in the relay plug must have been causing the dimming.

It's only by luck that I found the problem and to be honest it had been driving me crazy for a few weeks.

Hopefully this might help someone else with the same issue down the road!

cheers

Larry

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
Don B (04-23-2017), jerry_hoback (05-05-2017)