XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

E-Post Rust Cause w/ Pics

Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts
Default E-Post Rust Cause w/ Pics

Hello,

Has anyone here had an issue with E-Post rust right at the finisher? I have dropped the rear of the headliner to check the sunroof drain, and it's intact, not leaking water into the E-post. Is it possible for water to leak at the gutter and into the post? I'd like to find the cause before repairing it, just to have it happen again...

I removed the stainless trim and noticed that the driver's side has different rivets than the passenger side. The passenger's side rear quarter had bodywork done 18 years ago. Could the corrosion be caused by incorrect rivets for the finisher? (Now I'm wondering if there's no seam sealer or otherwise a gap behind the finisher, but I'm not brave enough to take it off...)

I also have a water leak in the trunk but I believe that is due to ingress at the bottom of the trunk finisher plate. The red circle is where the carpet gets wet after rain or a car wash.

And here's the trunk finisher plate removed. Looks like they did a shoddy job with the repair work...

The factory original, untouched driver's side looks just as I would expect it to... What a difference:

From inside the trunk, looking rearward. You can see the R/H taillight to the left:

I think I need to just remove the carpets and tire, and have a trusted helper hose the car down while I'm inside the closed trunk with lots of light?

It's a shame, the car was flawless before my great aunt's son backed his car into her Jag parked in the driveway. It's part of the reason why she sold the car to me in the first place.

-Nick

Last edited by NTL1991; 06-18-2018 at 08:19 PM.