XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

First post and an XJ6 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post and an XJ6 question

New user here, had an XJ6 for aobut 15 years.

So I have a 1988 XJ6, from what I understand the worst year ever for this car. it's fallen on some hard times, and has been sitting in disrepair for some time.

paint is ruined, interior is shot...if I was smart, I'd just sell it to the salvage yard and buy a newer model.

But it has sentimental value. I can't part with it. So recently an opportunity came up, and I'm not 100% certain if this is going to work, but I found a 1991 XJ6 in incredible condition, that got the front end wrecked. Bad enough to not want to fix it, but averything else is spotless.

are the parts from this car compatible with the 1988? seems to me I heard they were interchangeable up to 1992. If so, I can restore mine to perfection at a pretty reasonable cost.

thanks

Old 09-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

Welcome to the forum - I've moved your post to the appropriate Model Year section for your vehicle. You will get much better support here

As this is your first post, please stop by the New Member section and post an intro - in return you will receive a warm welcome and useful tips for navigating the forum.

Enjoy

Old 09-17-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

This should be in the "XJ40" section

Cheers
DD

Old 09-17-2016, 08:33 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

thanks Doug - fixed

Old 09-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Hi - some parts will be interchangeable, others not so much!!

Other owners with early cars will have a better idea - I have a late model [94] and this is quite a different car - even so, some parts will interchange with the 88 ..it really depends on what bits you want to swap.

You can check the various part numbers vs. vin numbers here:

Jaguar XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) parts | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

all the best

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 05:28 PM

Hmmm....... I was hoping since the repair manual I have is for 88-94, that most if not all would be the same.

I plan on using most of the electrical.

Complete interior

all 4 doors (mostly as remounting the doors is quicker than stripping out the electrical components and window motors etc.

Boot. mine has slight damage, I'd rather bolt on a new one than spend time doing body work.

Heater and Air conditioning unit.

taillights. mine are scuffed and faded.

Scrapping a lot of stuff from the original. I'm doing something I know some people frown on, as I'm upgrading some things. No more accumulator. I purchased the suspension/shock kit and master cylinder upgrade kits from Jaguar specialties.

And I'm giving serious consideration to the Corvette LT1 engine upgrade.

Outwardly it will LOOK like a basically stock Jaguar, but I'm making maintenance cost and performance a little better.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi FirstAvenger,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

As Larry as already cautioned you, you're going to find that some parts will be direct exchanges but others won't be. The '92 has a 4.0L engine compared to the 3.6L in your car, and an electronically-controlled transmission as opposed to the hydro-mechanical gearbox in your '88. The '88 has a digital vacuum fluorescent instrument display while the '92 has conventional analog gauges.

I think the interior will work.

I'm not sure about the heating and A/C unit.

Tail lamps should work.

The boot and rear quarter panels/fenders are integral components of the monocoque, so it won't be a bolt-on / bolt-off procedure - I think it's cut and weld.

I think the doors should work but note that at this time Jaguar may still have been hand-fitting panels and you may find the gaps to be much different than with your original doors.

Please keep us informed!

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 789 Posts

Its not the question you asked, but I am all for trying. If the price is right, you just need to get enough parts to make That purchase worthwhile. I would go at it 1 piece or area at a time and save the original parts in case the new doesn't go. Good luck

Old 09-19-2016, 08:03 AM

Jerry,

Thanks. The car was a show car, the owner had Concourse awards on it. An idiot attendant at a car wash lost control and smashed it into a wall. One persons bad luck was my good fortune.

For 600.00 (what I paid for it) I'm going to make that back on a fraction of the parts easily. The interior looks like it is brand new from the factory. It would have cost me 3500.00 to re upholster my current interior. I figure anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

I'm hoping to be able to use a lot of the parts. Body panels seem like it might be sketchy, and interior door panels might be sketchy. Don't know until I try I guess.

I was hoping for a large degree of compatibility, but the first few posts here are making me a bit nervous. Hopefully I'll be lucky. Some of the incompatible parts already described fortunately are not going to be an issue for me as I wasn't going to use the engine or tranny anyway.

Once I get to the tear down phase I'll post progress pics.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 AM

Just curios, I had previously seen the TWR body kits for this car, but the company in the UK says they sold the molds to someone in the states, where apparently the TWR kits have just disappeared like they never existed.

I kinda liked the modern look to it.

Does anyone know what ever became of this? I can't believe it wasn't more popular. I first saw it, I think, on a fairly famous picture on the internet when you search for modified Jaguars, of a black on black XJ40 that looks super sweet.

So our current car is the dark grey model, with the battleship grey interior. The donor car we bought has a creme colored interior. This has prompted us to settle on a really sharp looking Black Cherry Coke color for the car, with a creme interior.

Custom rims, Probably 20"-22" and low profile tires.

Thinking about getting rid of the round chrome exhaust pipes, and cutting out that back panel to fit dual rectangular exhaust tips, fitted flush to the panel to give it a really integrated look.

Supercharged Corvette LT1 engine, and will probably dress up the engine compartment and motor with braided lines, serpentine belt kit etc.

Undecided on this one, but MIGHT put a pair of hood scoops, not the big tacky kind, but very low profile, compact scoops, on each side of the raised area in the center of the hood, closer to the edge of the wings.

Basically we want to really build a one of a kind, and keep it classy, not crazy.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 PM

I got to evaluate the donor car today.

Bad news, a body shop basically said not repairable. Now of course I know better, the damage isn't THAT bad. but age, availability of parts and repair shops these days are really just cookie cutter outfits, if it's not in their parts book it's beyond repair.

I had intended this as a parts car, but when I picked it up, this couple clearly loved the car. They even had the original window sticker with the options, prices and MSRP on it.

They had the paint repair kit, the custom tags for replacement keys etc. it was like buying a new car.

Alas, the easy route is to just go with my original idea and use it for parts.

Good news is I will have a TON of 1991 Vanden Plas parts that frankly, I'm not going to need and I'm not really going to want to store. So I'll be making this stuff available here once I have gotten what I need.

Still it's a shame, this was such a nice car before it got wrecked.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

I would be interested in some VDP parts.....

Old 09-23-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
I would be interested in some VDP parts.....

let me know what you are looking for. Pretty much everything on this car is pretty mint condition, and I've already got an idea of what I'm actually going to use.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

You mentioned installing hood scoops. I suggest looking at a post titled "Looking at a 94" users name Eric Jansen. The car has simple "vents" that I find hard to get out of my head....
As far as specific VDP parts, I would be interested in a tilt steering column, the picnic table assemblies (I suspect youll use those) and the dash/door wood trim if it has the inlay strip in it- Maybe even if it doesn't. My right side vent trim has seen much better days.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:07 PM

I'm actually planning on utilizing the entire interior for mine, so no luck there, sorry. The interior was my primary interest when I bought the car.

As for wood trim, I've been toying with an idea, something I had planned, and just might do for my car, which would make the wood trim I have available for sale. I have a very high resolution CNC machine, and was planning on making replica parts for the wood trim. With the setup I have, it would be child's play to recreate.

The bonus is that if I wanted to do something unique and different than just the plain stock wood, I can. Like adding a subtle design or pattern to the wood.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

That's about what I thought. Keep me in mind if you end up with spare wood. Thanks.