XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

this forum rules

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this forum rules

Seriously, this forum blows. I have to say that compared the numerous other forums I am a member of, this is by far the worst. One of my threads that I started weeks ago: 139 views, 3 replies (all by the same member - I tip my hat to you, Brutal). WOW. My other thread, now 5 days old, no replies, 31 views. Home of Jaguar "Enthusiasts"? - Guess if you own an X-type, right?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: >>>>>> THIS FORUM SUCKS!

ORIGINAL: tetanusshot

Seriously, this forum blows. I have to say that compared the numerous other forums I am a member of, this is by far the worst. One of my threads that I started weeks ago: 139 views, 3 replies (all by the same member - I tip my hat to you, Brutal). WOW. My other thread, now 5 days old, no replies, 31 views. Home of Jaguar "Enthusiasts"? - Guess if you own an X-type, right?

Now tetanusshot, you cannot really bash the entire forum.. Its just the model of car you own doesnt have the same kind of following as the more common jaguars.. If I knew more about the particular car you owned I would be glad to help, but I am more of a classic mopar and buick (60s and 70s) guy and haven't yet matured to appreciate classic jaguars.. If you ever post anything in general tech help, I have a abundance of free time at work and would be more than happy to research the topic and help you as best as I can.. and if you ever need general restoration tips or parts sources, I have tons of those as well.. but the jaguar forums dont "suck" they are just geared more toward current models than the earlier ones.. Eric

Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with whiteSTR, besideBrutal is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum as he is a Jaguar Tech... Other posters may have already seen that the best suited answers were already given.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the best jaguar forum I have found so far. I will say it seems a little lighter on the tech and mods then my land rover forums that I frequent. I attribute that to different personalities between jag and rover owners though.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 PM

Anybody want to buy a 92 Vanden plas?!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

youre exactly wrong ,this is the best forum on the entire net and taking less reply don't mean that a forum is good or bad.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a rather surprising post to read, since I responded to at least three unsolicited private messagesfrom you before you firstmade any public posts. I offered to supply the parts you requested, and since we live in the same city, suggested that you have me check your car out and obviate the wastedtime and expense of wrong guesses.

In return for that, I got a directive to call you at a long distance phone number.

Brutal is knowledgeable and well-intentioned, and his advice about throttle body faults is correct for '95-'97 cars. The only problem you're likely to have with a throttle plate on a '92 XJ6 is that is sticks in the closed position from carbon deposits. There is nothing wrong with your return springs, unless someone has been cobbling on your throttle body.

After replacing the coolant sensor (which you were overcharged for), you have to disconnect the battery to clear the engine management ECU. If a check engine warning persusts, try looking under the "specifications" section of your vehicle handbook: all of the failure codes are right there. If you read code 14, I believe it points to coolant thermistor (coolant sensor)OR connections. You can't make any assessment about idle speed until any fuelling failures determined by the ECU are first corrected. Of course all of that is based on the assumption that you were sold, and you installed, a correct sensor and not a bogus one, or that you didn'tchange thecoolant temperature transmitter instead ofthe coolant sensor for the P.I.

There are readers of this and other forums who make a living repairing cars, maybe some of them are the hits you get to your unanswered posts. I'ts not my job to provide them with free training, there ismore thanone fix-it-all shop in my city that would love to take food from my table. Time for me to go eat.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[sm=signs007.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=youreright.gif]

Well said JagTech.

Why couldn't you live in Chicago since I'm moving there in a few months

Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Since I'm a newbie here I've been reluctant to chime in here but, well, here goes....

Tetanusshot, with insulting remarks like youmade I'm a little surprised that anyone has answered at all.

I'll just leave it at that....

DD

Old 12-12-2008, 09:13 AM

Insulting, I don't feel that I've made any personal attacks directed towards anyone. Am I not allowed to express my opinion here? Granted, I have been frustrated with the car, lack of replies, etc. If anyone was insulted, my apologies. as for you jagtech, I believed i replied asking when you can have the park switch. I changed the sensor, cleared the code, and no difference in starting or running conditions whatsoever. what are the best plugs to run in a Jag. I know different types of cars like different plugs. NGK for Japanese imports, champion for dodge, bosch for german. etc. Is timing adjustable on this too? If so, to what degree ADV, or RTD?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Maybe its just because I'm old but I find "This forum Sucks" and "Seriously, this forum blows" to be insulting.

The forum is made up of people. So, if the forum "sucks" and "blows" what are you saying about the people in it?

<shrug>

I'll shuddup now :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

I am a big fan of NGK plugs, on a F/I car like the XJ6 I would go with at least a platinum plug such as the Laser Platinum part# PFR6G or if you don't mind spending the extra money you can go with the Iridium IXs like I run in my car part# BKR6EIX.. However I believe the OEM plug is part# EBC11480 and I'm reasonably certain they all use a .35 gap.. Eric

Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 AM

so the 4.0L like the platinum plugs? i know some cars run worse with them. Anybody else ?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

For an old Jag like yours, go with Champion plugs. They work the best by far, others will miss.

But hell, what do we know? We suck.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

So are you talking about the regular RC9YC Champion plugs Ken? You definitely know more on this topic than me, so I'm just curious what causes the miss? personally I hate Champion plugs, but thats just from my personal experience, but I also know that certain cars love certain brands of plugs and hate others..

Old 12-12-2008, 03:14 PM

I told you I had the park switch in stock when you first requested it, use NGK plugs, and the timing is not adjustable. Then go to JagLovers. org and try not to **** anyone off.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, on the XJ40's our shop uses that Champion plug. They run like a top.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:15 PM

Ooops, guess I can't help you after all. Somebody reading this forum just called me and bought the only wiper park switch I had in stock. Maybe Ken can help.

The stock factory champion plugs are suitable, as are NGK BKR6E, and both are cheap. If your car doesn't run properly with either of these styles, it's because there is something else wrong with it. Good luck abd goodbye.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 AM

Once again, to all on this forum, I apologize for my juvenille remarks. My frustration with this vehicle obviously has gotten the best of me. To all that felt insulted by my remarks, that was not my intent. When I first went and looked at this car, it was fine. All of a sudden, all this little stuff happened. High idle, starting issue, windshield wiper, etc. I realize that it is not it is not the responsibility of those who frequent this forum to fix my car, you are only here to help. Thanks for the info you guys have shared thus far.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  6.0 KB

Tetanuss.......glad you've seen the light and apologised to the techs / members who answered and tried to help you out.
As with other forums these techs / members frequent and pass on knowledge totally of their own accord and free of charge. I've seen countless newbies join and have saved thousands of $$$ / £££ by utilising this advice.
After reading your initial remarks my first instinct was to advise you to stop bashing the forum and leave for everyones benefit, but hopefully we can move forward from that.
Hope you get your problems fixed soon.
If you have no luck between Ken / Jagtech / Brutal / STR etc etc then maybe you have to spend some $$$$ and go to the dealers

Jim

Quick Reply: this forum rules