XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

fuel pump: lifting or non-lifting on XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump: lifting or non-lifting on XJ6

Are the fuel pumps on the 1987 Jaguar XJ6 cars lifting, or non-lifting? My car has a Bosch. I took it out of the trunk. It had not run before I took it out. It just stuttered if the current made and broke. I figured it might have some trash in it. So I put a rubber hose on each end, filled the output end with gasoline, stuck both hoses into containers with gas and applied negative power to the positive terminal and positive voltage to the negative terminal. After a bit of stuttering, it began to make more normal sounds. I then put the cables on the correct terminals and now it made a smooth vibrating sound, but I did not get any gas out of it. Just to check I put the output hose on the ground and ran it for a few seconds. No gas was put out of the output end. If the pump is a lifting pump, then the pump is either not primed (if it needs a prime) or it is not working. If it is not a lifting pump, then the results are correct.

The normal condition of the pump is to receive gas from the bottom of the fuel tanks, therefore, the pumps would not have to be lifting and that is a simpler pump to build.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I think the pump is probably (previously it would not run smoothly, and now it does) OK but I would like to get some input from others before I put it back in the car.

Thanks,

Neal Lewis

Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: fuel pump: lifting or non-lifting on XJ6

You need a new fuel pump. You also need to drain the tanks, remove the sump plugs, and pull out the pickup filters. The screen on at least one of them is probably torn, and the junk in the tanks is what jammed your pump. The fuel filter in the boot is on the outlet side of the pump, it only protects the injectors and fuel pressure regulator from contaminants...it doesn't keep the pump clean.

Running a stuck pump with reverse polarity is sometimes an effective way to free them up, but I wouldn't trust it to get me home from 293 miles away on a rainy night. You're also well advised to order two new pickup filters: it is often difficult to remove them without damage, even if they weren't already torn. On cars which have previously had their fuel tanks removed for cleaning or repair, the pickup filtersare sometimes melted ormissing entirely.

One other bit of prudent advice is to get two new seals for the sump plugs, and new sealing washers for the drain plug bolts. You can hope all of these items are reusable, and get stranded while in the process of reassembly...or at an even worse time.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuel pump: lifting or non-lifting on XJ6

Replace the pump was the opinion of another car expert I know. Sounds like that is what I will do. I also plan to put in line fuel filters on both lines before the pump. I don't trust screens.

Thanks again for the info and help.

Neal Lewis