XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Gas Filler Lid Won't Pop Open

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gas Filler Lid Won't Pop Open

This morning I stopped to fill up my 1990 XJ6 at one of the local gas stations. The tank was nearly empty, so I figured it would take a little time. While I waited, I was looking at what was going on around me and when I looked back to check on how the filling was going, the nozzle had failed to automatically shut off as it should and gas was overflowing my tank spilling down the fender and across the tail light. After shutting off the nozzle, I went and complained to the attendant who then provided me with soapy water to flush the gasoline off of my car. In doing so, I poured some of the water over the gas filler area (the gas cap was in place and tight), and I think that might be the cause of my problem.

The gas filler lid won't pop up when I pull the release inside the car. Not knowing where or how the mechanism is spring-loaded, I'm not sure where to look in order to fix the problem. Has anyone had a similar situation? Any ideas on what I can do?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Open the trunk and way up under where the lid would be, there is a small black lever that can be moved to release the lid. Get a good light, and be prepared for some awkward body positioning. You will also see how to adjust the cable that attaches to the handle in the car. Take off that handle (the one that's in the car) and see if that plastic piece that holds the cable has broken off.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Default XJ40 Fuel Filler Door Release Assembly

Robert,

You may find yours is like mine - a solenoid operates the spring loaded flap.

The solenoid is fused. When it goes south, the door can be manually opened after opening the boot as mtr previously wrote.

XJ40 Fuel Filler Door Release Assembly
th_XJ-40FuelFillerDoorRelease.jpg?t=1315880428(clickable thumbnail)

I pulled the above stills from a youTUbe video posted by davidwatson74.

o

Attached Thumbnails Gas Filler Lid Won't Pop Open-xj-40-fuel-filler-door-release.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Trick Freestones:
Cadillac (09-13-2011), rolexmike (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Those '88 model year has its own quirks verily . Mine did exact problem as well . We used some towel and screw driver to pry out the lid lol

Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

There are 3 different lock systems used for the XJ40

88/89 push on lid to operate solenoid.
1990 pull release lever next to the seat.
1991 to 1994 solenoid automatic with other locks.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (09-14-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Trick Freestones
Robert,

You may find yours is like mine - a solenoid operates the spring loaded flap.

The solenoid is fused. When it goes south, the door can be manually opened after opening the boot as mtr previously wrote.

XJ40 Fuel Filler Door Release Assembly
(clickable thumbnail)

I pulled the above stills from a youTUbe video posted by davidwatson74.

o
Great information!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue.
Problem with mine was rust.... :-\ Apparently, that will happen when a car sits for over a year. lol
But, my lid is now perminently open. As some point after the transmition, door handles, floor, exhaust, paint...... and so on.... Ill get that fixed.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the responses, but the problem isn't that the release cable isn't working. The problem is that once the door is released, it doesn't pop up so that I can grab it to open it. I need to press something in between the fender and the door to pre-load it so that when I do pull the release handle, the door rises up enough to grab. Obviously, there is supposed to be a spring somewhere, but I haven't been able to find an exploded view to show where the spring is. If I knew that, I could maybe replace the spring, or see what is keeping the door from opening. Any thoughts?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay.
I had a quick look at my cap and flap....
The "spring" on mine is a small flexible bit of metal on the back side of the hinge.
If you pull the cover all the way open then look on the underside of the hinge / arm you should see it, or the remains of it.
At least, thats where mine is located.

Robert (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks, AdrianSw. That's what I have on my gas filler door. Back by the hinge there is a circular tab that, apparently, became bent to the point that it would no longer pop open the filler door. Using a screwdriver, I gently bent the tab out just enough. Now when I pull on the release handle in the car, the filler door pops up about half an inch. Awesome!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that's interesting...I wonder if my '93 XJ40 has that setup - I never noticed it popping up when activated - it just became unlocked...

Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 AM
CRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 xj6

Hello all, I've read through this thread and am unable to find the black handle inside the trunk to manually open the fuel filler door. Said door worked fine when tank was last filled, Not anymore tank is Very low on fuel(hope i make it to the station) Also the inline fuse in the trunk is good. Can anyone please help? Rich(Newbie here)

Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

The lever jobby is inside the trunk under the filler neck. It is around 1" long if that, and you need to grope around a little with your fingers.

Depending on your trim in this area, it might be hard to find, but it will be there.

When you find it pull it to release the flap.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:43 PM
CRT

Originally Posted by Translator
The lever jobby is inside the trunk under the filler neck. It is around 1" long if that, and you need to grope around a little with your fingers.

Depending on your trim in this area, it might be hard to find, but it will be there.

When you find it pull it to release the flap.
Thank You Richard, I'll get back after it in the A.M.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The little lever is not necessarily black, they can be white or grey. It is located at the closest point of the fuel cap assembly to the trunk strut. Mine opens by pushing towards the fuel cap assembly rather than pulling and you may need to push down on the cap while pushing the lever.

CRT (12-05-2011)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
This morning I stopped to fill up my 1990 XJ6 at one of the local gas stations. The tank was nearly empty, so I figured it would take a little time. While I waited, I was looking at what was going on around me and when I looked back to check on how the filling was going, the nozzle had failed to automatically shut off as it should and gas was overflowing my tank spilling down the fender and across the tail light. After shutting off the nozzle, I went and complained to the attendant who then provided me with soapy water to flush the gasoline off of my car. In doing so, I poured some of the water over the gas filler area (the gas cap was in place and tight), and I think that might be the cause of my problem.

The gas filler lid won't pop up when I pull the release inside the car. Not knowing where or how the mechanism is spring-loaded, I'm not sure where to look in order to fix the problem. Has anyone had a similar situation? Any ideas on what I can do?
This is an old thread but I have the same problem with my 1990 XJ6 Vanden Plas, the fuel door hinge actually broke off, I think this is a common problem. The hinge is one piece, I have my sights on a replacement but I need to confirm that it's the same part # on both the 1990 and 1992 because the replacement hinge comes off a 1992 XJ6, where can I confirm if the part #'s are the same? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Old 11-03-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by vandenplas90
This is an old thread but I have the same problem with my 1990 XJ6 Vanden Plas, the fuel door hinge actually broke off, I think this is a common problem. The hinge is one piece, I have my sights on a replacement but I need to confirm that it's the same part # on both the 1990 and 1992 because the replacement hinge comes off a 1992 XJ6, where can I confirm if the part #'s are the same? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Cheers
You can look up part numbers by VIN at parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com

Cheers,

Don

93SB (10-01-2022)
Old 12-07-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Robert

I had no idea the XJ40 had a filler cap release in the car? It does? I'm only aware of the emergency release in the boot/trunk.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

It depends on the model year. Early cars had a cable release, my 94 doesn't.

Larry

Old 12-08-2021, 12:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my 1988 only has the the one inside the boot / truck. Ive never had a working flap release since Ive had the car. Had to always do the manual release

Quick Reply: Gas Filler Lid Won't Pop Open