Ignition Key Barrel

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Ignition Key Barrel

I've looked through the archives and found many posts
regarding the key(lock) barrels for the doors, but my inquiry
is directed to the ignition barrel, and I found no posts
which answer my question. (I could have missed it too)

A few years ago I purchased new door handles which came with
new barrels and keys to fit. Thus leaving me in the position
of having a key for the ignition and a different key for the
doors (and another key for the boot). The key for the
ignition has worn down significantly and is very loose in the
barrel. I'm concerned at some point in time the key won't
properly work the barrel pins and most likely it will be at a
very inconvenient time.

I want to know if it is possible to ''retool'' the ignition
barrel to fit a newer key. Is the ignition barrel like the
door lock barrels, so a different key can be fitted to it?

I looked up the price of a new ignition key barrel and .....I
cried...... (not really, but they are expensive)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
I've looked through the archives and found many posts
regarding the key(lock) barrels for the doors, but my inquiry
is directed to the ignition barrel, and I found no posts
which answer my question. (I could have missed it too)

A few years ago I purchased new door handles which came with
new barrels and keys to fit. Thus leaving me in the position
of having a key for the ignition and a different key for the
doors (and another key for the boot). The key for the
ignition has worn down significantly and is very loose in the
barrel. I'm concerned at some point in time the key won't
properly work the barrel pins and most likely it will be at a
very inconvenient time.

I want to know if it is possible to ''retool'' the ignition
barrel to fit a newer key. Is the ignition barrel like the
door lock barrels, so a different key can be fitted to it?

I looked up the price of a new ignition key barrel and .....I
cried...... (not really, but they are expensive)

Thanks in advance for any input.
I fitted a new door handle on the passenger side last year but swapped out the barrel with my original handle so I could use the same key - was pretty simple to do as I remember, just don't mix up the tumblers!
I'm not sure about the ignition lock but interestingly enough just last Friday I was having lunch with a pal who has a 2004? XKR and we compared ignition keys - the key was identical to my 94' XJ40 so we guessed there may be something in the handle that differentiates the keys from one another? Looking at my valet key, I can't see any difference in the pattern but obviously there is a difference as the valet key won't open the trunk.

Larry

Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As I recall, the inside parts can be moved around to match any key. There are just a bunch of washer shaped pieces inside which are turned to match the key you have. You just have to put them in the right order. And that probably takes someone who knows how to do it.

I swapped the ignition cylinder from my parts car to my daily driver. If you don't know how, see this:
1990 Jaguar Sovereign : Remove Ignition Key Cylinder | AndyRupert.com

The following users liked this post:
Rob Evenson (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the input, I have a better idea of what to look for. I'm amazed at the lack of response on the subject! Either I'm a complete idiot for asking the question, or, close to no one has performed this task. (re-keying the ignition cylinder).

Based on your blog article, it sounds like you swapped the cylinder, but did not actually re-key the cylinder, is this correct?

I've found a number of vids on youtube which demonstrate the task and some posts from a variety of non-jag forums with photos. I'm going to assume the principle is the same. One post with high detail pics was for either a VW or a Porsche 944.

Guess I'll just have to venture on this one alone..... Thanks again.

Originally Posted by andyrupert-com
As I recall, the inside parts can be moved around to match any key. There are just a bunch of washer shaped pieces inside which are turned to match the key you have. You just have to put them in the right order. And that probably takes someone who knows how to do it.

I swapped the ignition cylinder from my parts car to my daily driver. If you don't know how, see this:
1990 Jaguar Sovereign : Remove Ignition Key Cylinder | AndyRupert.com

Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the input, I have a better idea of what to look for. I'm amazed at the lack of response on the subject! Either I'm a complete idiot for asking the question, or, close to no one has performed this task. (re-keying the ignition cylinder).

Based on your blog article, it sounds like you swapped the cylinder, but did not actually re-key the cylinder, is this correct?

I've found a number of vids on youtube which demonstrate the task and some posts from a variety of non-jag forums with photos. I'm going to assume the principle is the same. One post with high detail pics was for either a VW or a Porsche 944.

Guess I'll just have to venture on this one alone..... Thanks again.
Hi Rob,

To my knowledge, it's not possible to get an ignition cylinder from the '88-'89 XJ6 apart, such that it could be put back together and re-used. Back in the day, for my good clients that had to have a new ignition barrel, I would offer to use the new ignition key and open up the door handle cylinders and re-code them to match it. The door cylinders can be removed and the tumblers replaced or rearranged to code the doors to the new [or newer] ignition key. I kept every lock cylinder from all the door handles I ever replaced so I had a good supply of tumblers on hand.

My suggestion would be to try and find a better ignition cylinder and try that. If you do and find you need tumblers, holler and I'll try to help fix you up. Might even be able to dig up a viable ignition barrel.

Hope that helps!

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
93SB (08-14-2014), Rob Evenson (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:10 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the additional information. It appears '89 was the last year before the style of key was changed. I would need components from a model with a VIN up to 594575. Beyond that number, it's a newer key style.

I've contacted a few ebay sellers to see if they have the key with the wrecker they're parting out, will have to wait and see what they find.

I may take you up on the offer for the "waffers/tumblers" if I can find a good assembly. I can't stand the thought of spending $230 to $290 for a new lock cylinder.

Thanks again

Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Steve,

Thanks for the additional information. It appears '89 was the last year before the style of key was changed. I would need components from a model with a VIN up to 594575. Beyond that number, it's a newer key style.

I've contacted a few ebay sellers to see if they have the key with the wrecker they're parting out, will have to wait and see what they find.

I may take you up on the offer for the "waffers/tumblers" if I can find a good assembly. I can't stand the thought of spending $230 to $290 for a new lock cylinder.

Thanks again
Ok Rob,

Here are some pics of the ignition barrel from an early XJ40. The shell around the key side of the barrel is extremely hard, and therefore brittle. I had a locksmith try a couple, years ago; those tabs look like they should flex outward and release the cap, but it turns out any attempt to flex them, just breaks them, because they are so hard.

That's why I just resorted to re-keying the doors to match a new ignition key. Much easier that way.

Hope that helps!

Attached Thumbnails Ignition Key Barrel-p2012825.jpg   Ignition Key Barrel-p2012826.jpg   Ignition Key Barrel-p2012827.jpg   Ignition Key Barrel-p2042834.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
93SB (08-14-2014), Rob Evenson (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Steve,

Super cool on the follow-up on your part, thanks so much!!! I'll put this to rest in my mind.

Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xj40 ignition barrell

hi guys, does anyone know how to replace a new ignition barrel in a 1992 xj40, step by step if possible
kind regards signalred.