XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Instrument Cluster dead

Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Instrument Cluster dead

1990 XJ6 instrument cluster gauges have stopped working. The oil pressure, water temperature and tachometer do not work. The speedometer, gas gauge and volt meter seem to be working. All lamps appear to be working along with the odometer. I have checked all fuses that I can find and all are intact. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Go introduce yourself in the new members area when you get a chance, then go et a Haynes manual for your car. Your going to have to pull the cluster out. You can't check the connections in the back unless it's out.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Arrow

I have a Haynes manual and a service manual that I purchased online. Neither of them give a decent explanation of how to go about testing gauges, especially on the tachometer. My next move is to test the wiring from the sensor to the ECU, because none of the wires to the instrument panel match the wires from the sensors.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Hello. this is joneswendell. I have a similar issue. I have a 1989 vandan Plas and the instrument cluster gauges have stopped working also. The oil pressure, water temperature and speedometer do not work. The techometer is the only gauge that seem to be working. I have checked all fuses that I can find and all are intact. I hope you find a solution. Please share it with me if you do

Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster dead

Joneswendell & NL30ump

I have an 89 XJ6 with digital instrument cluster is yours the same with a digital display? It matters in the method of repair.

Originally Posted by NL30ump
1990 XJ6 instrument cluster gauges have stopped working. The oil pressure, water temperature and tachometer do not work. The speedometer, gas gauge and volt meter seem to be working. All lamps appear to be working along with the odometer. I have checked all fuses that I can find and all are intact. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Cool Instrument Cluster dead

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your response. I have a full analog instrument cluster. I have pulled the cluster out and cannot figure out how to test the gagues. I have also pulled the ECU out and none of the wires match the wires coming from the devices. I am stumped.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM

joneswendell001
Garage is empty, add now

Hi Joneswendell,
I am still struggling with this issue but I will let you and everyone else know when I solve the problems.
joneswendell001
Garage is empty, add now

Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Question Instrument Cluster dead

Hi Joneswendell,
I am still struggling with this issue but I will let you and everyone else know when I solve the problems.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster dead

NL30ump,

Have you ever slapped the dash cluster and the guages behaved for a short time, them resume erratic behavior?

Since you have the cluster out (I think you said you pulled it) go ahead and open the cluster and examine the connections where the pigtails terminate on the boards. I researched your problem in some other forums and the similarities are identical, except for the actual display (analog vs. digital). You may find poor solder/connections on the boards. Telltale signs would be significant discoloration on the points. Mind you, I have never opened an analog cluster, but our MY's are close, mine was produced late 89, the VIN is 583143. Also, clean any and all connectors while the cluster is out with an electronics cleaner.

My fix was definitively poor solder connections. Repaired them about six years ago and had no issues since. I really doubt you have three different sending units acting up at the same time. I also recall my tach (both the tach and speedo are analog, everything else is digital) acted up as well, it would bounce then go to zero, then bounce..... you get the idea.

Originally Posted by NL30ump
Hi Rob,
Thanks for your response. I have a full analog instrument cluster. I have pulled the cluster out and cannot figure out how to test the gagues. I have also pulled the ECU out and none of the wires match the wires coming from the devices. I am stumped.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 PM

Hi Rob,
I appreciate your response. Sorry about taking so long to respond. Too many issues with daily drivers to focus on the Jag right now. Anyway, I checked all of the connectors and cleaned them with electrical cleaner. Nothing. All of the gauges have ribbon connectors, so I am not sure what to do with them. They all appear to be fine.
My next approach is going to be grabbing an instument cluster from the local pick-n-pull when they get one. I am with you, I doubt very seriously that all three sensors went bad at once.
Gremlins.