XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Need quick buying tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need quick buying tip

Hello everyone, I'm planning to buy my 1st Jaguar.
Here are my two candidates, both XJ40's. One is red burgundy(not sure if that's official name), and other one is silver. Both have similar milage (silver has 187 000 km's, red has 25 000 km less), and similar price (red is 500€ more expensive).
Red one is listed as "XJ 40 Diamler 4.0 automatic" and silver "XJ40 Sovereign 4.0 automatic". I just need few advices before going to see cars in person. What to expect at that milage regarding engine,transmission and suspension, I'm aware of rust problem.
As well, which one is "better" deal..
Pictures 1-5 are from red car, and 6-10 from silver.
Thank you very much.
Best regards.

Attached Thumbnails Need quick buying tip-1.jpg   Need quick buying tip-3.jpg   Need quick buying tip-4.jpg   Need quick buying tip-5.jpg   Need quick buying tip-6.jpg  

Need quick buying tip-1.2.png   Need quick buying tip-1.3.png   Need quick buying tip-1.5.png   Need quick buying tip-1.6.png   Need quick buying tip-1.7.png  

Old 04-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi JanL17,

The Daimler will have higher-quality leather that is softer (when properly conditioned), but also more fragile and more time-consuming to redye due to the contrasting piping. The wood veneer trim may also be of higher quality, with contrasting boxwood "matchstick" inlays. The Daimler grill and boot/trunk chrome finishers are fluted. The wheels on the red one are from an X308 (XJ8 sold from 1997-2003); the wheels on the silver one may be original but appear to have been painted black or rubberized. Otherwise, the cars are essentially identical mechanically.

Aside from rust in the wheel arches, below the rear windscreen/backlight, on the suspension crossbeams/subframes and anywhere else, other things to look out for are:

Worn or perished suspension bushings that can cause imprecise steering, knocks going over bumps, uneven tire wear, etc.

Failing wheel bearings (especially fronts);

Failing differential output shaft bearings (look for leaking oil on the sides of the differential and listen for howling sounds from the rear end);

Failing differential pinion bearings (listen for a jet-engine whine when you let off the accelerator pedal and coast);

Sagging headliner;

Oil leaks, notably on the right rear corner of the camshaft cover and right front corner above the distributor (head gasket), and on the left side of the engine at the oil pressure sender, oil filter housing and cooler hoses/bypass pipe, the oil filler tube and dipstick tube gaskets;

Check the steering rack boots/gaiters for signs of leaking fluid that may indicate the need for a rebuild or new rack;

Check the instrument cluster to confirm that when the key is turned to position II (ON/RUN), all the warning lamps illuminate briefly, then start the engine and confirm that all the warning lamps extinguish within a few seconds (the BRAKE and/or ANTI-LOCK lamps may take a little longer to extinguish).

Check the Vehicle Condition Monitor (VCM) for any stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs): turn the key to position II (ON/RUN) but do not start the engine; press and release the VCM button on the trip computer next to the steering wheel; watch the small display window below the speedometer where the odometer/mileage indicator normally appears; DTCs will be in the form of FF or Fuel Fault and a two-digit number (the earlier 3.6L/2.9L cars used one-digit numbers). Look up any codes that appear in the Haynes Repair Manual, which you can download here:

Haynes Jaguar XJ40 Repair Manual

Check that all the power door lock actuators are locking and unlocking and that all the door handles are unbroken. The top edge of the handle should be parallel with the outer frame. If it dips at one end, it is probably broken.

Test the brakes and watch the instrument cluster for the BRAKE or ANTI-LOCK lamps to illuminate - if they do, there is a problem with the hydraulic power boost system.

The Jag-Lovers Forum XJ40 eBook will give you an idea of a lot of things that can go wrong and how to repair them:

Jag-Lovers XJ40 eBook

Read the section in the eBook on Self-Leveling Suspension. Most cars have, by now, had the original rear SLS suspension replaced with conventional shock absorbers and revised springs, but if that hasn't been done on one of the cars you are considering, the SLS was known for leaks and failing rear shocks.

Hopefully others will chime in with things I've forgotten to mention.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-02-2018 at 08:38 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (04-01-2018), JanL17 (04-02-2018), Lawrence (04-02-2018), MountainMan (04-01-2018), XJ6Paul (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

In addition, check the blower fan speeds, heating and cooling operations. You will be a lucky person indeed if they all work correctly ..

Larry

The following 4 users liked this post by Lawrence:
93SB (04-01-2018), Don B (04-01-2018), JanL17 (04-02-2018), MountainMan (04-01-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

The car seen below is for sale on Craigslist in my area. A 1989 Jaguar Vanden Plas Majestic. Round headlights, red painted on the inners of the lattice wheels, red carpet, red contrast trim on the seats. Seller says the hydraulic suspension works, and the digital instrument cluster was replaced with the reliable analog! This Daimler in Zagreb looks to be a Majestic (the Vanden Plas name being used in the USA instead of Daimler). So the Daimler, if it is a Majestic, might be more rare and a little more valuable. All beautiful cars.

Also, the USA VIN for this Vanden Plas starts with SAJMY... I think the M signifies a Majestic, at least in the USA. The worldwide VIN for the Daimler might read SAJDM... the D for Daimler, the M for "Special Edition". Something to check for. I'm quoting from the X300 decoder, so it could be off. XJ40 experts will follow up.

Last edited by SleekJag12; 04-02-2018 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Added info
The following 2 users liked this post by SleekJag12:
93SB (04-15-2018), JanL17 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 AM

Thank you everyone,
later this week I'll go to see red car. Owner claims he has it for last 18 years and all needed suspensions work is done along with replaced periphery of engine (I'm guessing oils,filters,hoses etc). He said that there are some rust spots. I'll take photos and post them here.
Talk to you soon.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
The car seen below is for sale on Craigslist in my area. A 1989 Jaguar Vanden Plas Majestic. Round headlights, red painted on the inners of the lattice wheels, red carpet, red contrast trim on the seats. Seller says the hydraulic suspension works, and the digital instrument cluster was replaced with the reliable analog! This Daimler in Zagreb looks to be a Majestic (the Vanden Plas name being used in the USA instead of Daimler). So the Daimler, if it is a Majestic, might be more rare and a little more valuable. All beautiful cars.

Also, the USA VIN for this Vanden Plas starts with SAJMY... I think the M signifies a Majestic, at least in the USA. The worldwide VIN for the Daimler might read SAJDM... the D for Daimler, the M for "Special Edition". Something to check for. I'm quoting from the X300 decoder, so it could be off. XJ40 experts will follow up.

I' ve acquired VIN number : SAJDKALD4AJ671382. Guess It's not Majestic even though it has similar interior.. is it possible that trim level is "Majestic", but not wheelbase lenght?

Old 04-02-2018, 12:34 PM

I have found this vehicle indentification numbering system for XJ40 Jaguars. It seems this car is Vanden Plas, but doesnt have Vanden plas emblems on trunk and it says "Daimler" on car door sills. Can anyone explain it?
SAJDKALD4AJ671382.
SAJD - Daimler
K - Vanden Plas
A - Base line
L - 4 door saloon
D - 4.0 litre
4 - Auto LHD
A - series 1
J - Europe
671382 - guess it's from 1993 MY

SleekJag12 (04-05-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Daimler with VDP trim - Even though the trim is noted as being VDP, the VDP designation isn't used in Europe, they are all called Daimlers over there.

Jaguar couldn't use the Daimler name in N America as that brand was owned by Daimer/Chrysler (AFAIK)

As this chart is an up 1992 code translator and the red car is a 93 maybe some details are changed, e.g. Daimler is one of the the highest trim levels certainly not a "base" car!

BTW the Daimlers and VDP's had every bell and whistle Jag offered at the time.

Larry

JanL17 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence
Daimler with VDP trim - Even though the trim is noted as being VDP, the VDP designation isn't used in Europe, they are all called Daimlers over there.

Jaguar couldn't use the Daimler name in N America as that brand was owned by Daimer/Chrysler (AFAIK)

As this chart is an up 1992 code translator and the red car is a 93 maybe some details are changed, e.g. Daimler is one of the the highest trim levels certainly not a "base" car!

BTW the Daimlers and VDP's had every bell and whistle Jag offered at the time.

Larry
Thank you very much for you answer.
So basically you are saying it is Vanden Plas trim, but called Daimler because of Europe market.
Could you explain difference with VdP Majestic? That is longwheel base, right?

Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by JanL17
Thank you very much for you answer.
So basically you are saying it is Vanden Plas trim, but called Daimler because of Europe market.
Could you explain difference with VdP Majestic? That is longwheel base, right?
Congratulations on your new Jaguar! She's beautiful!

The article at Wikipedia gives some of the details about the Majestic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ_(XJ40)

If I recall correctly, the piping in the Majestic seats was "Mulberry," or a shade of red. If the piping in your seats is a light brown, it is probably the same combination we had in our 1993, which was called "Coffee and Cream," a very handsome combination.

P.S. Did you have the wheels changed already? The ones in your original photos are the X308 Starburst pattern, but in your most recent photos the wheels are the XJ40 Lattice pattern.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-02-2018 at 03:55 PM.
93SB (04-06-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Neither car has done a huge mileage, and the €500 extra for the Daimler may be well worth it if the car has been well looked after as the interior trim of the Daimler is to a very high standard as you'll see when you look at the car. However even if the car is immaculate, do make sure to check for evidence of regular servicing and maintenance with service records and invoices. When a car gets to this age, this is what counts the most. The Daimler does look to be a very nice car, frankly. 18 years with one guy means it is likely to have been looked after.

What prices are the sellers asking ? Not too much, I hope !

Old 04-02-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Neither car has done a huge mileage, and the €500 extra for the Daimler may be well worth it if the car has been well looked after as the interior trim of the Daimler is to a very high standard as you'll see when you look at the car. However even if the car is immaculate, do make sure to check for evidence of regular servicing and maintenance with service records and invoices. When a car gets to this age, this is what counts the most. The Daimler does look to be a very nice car, frankly. 18 years with one guy means it is likely to have been looked after.

What prices are the sellers asking ? Not too much, I hope !
Owner is asking 4500€, but price is negotiable since car is not registered an he mentioned few rust spots, so I'm hoping to get down to around 3500€.. keep in mind Jaguars are pretty rare in my country(Croatia), especially older ones.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Congratulations on your new Jaguar! She's beautiful!

The article at Wikipedia gives some of the details about the Majestic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ_(XJ40)

If I recall correctly, the piping in the Majestic seats was "Mulberry," or a shade of red. If the piping in your seats is a light brown, it is probably the same combination we had in our 1993, which was called "Coffee and Cream," a very handsome combination.

P.S. Did you have the wheels changed already? The ones in your original photos are the X308 Starburst pattern, but in your most recent photos the wheels are the XJ40 Lattice pattern.

Cheers,

Don
Hello Don,
I think you have missread something, I didn't buy car yet!

Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 PM

I've acquired VIN number : SAJDKALD4AJ671382. Guess It's not Majestic even though it has similar interior.. is it possible that trim level is "Majestic", but not wheelbase lenght?
Hello Don,
I think you have missread something, I didn't buy car yet!
Hah! When you said you had "acquired VIN number..." I took it to mean you had purchased that car. Well, please keep us informed!

Cheers,

Don

93SB (04-15-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Interesting info on the wiki link. That confirmed the M designation for Majestic in the USA.

I see now that the pictures of the Daimler show seats with brown trim. When I saw the red carpet my mind saw red seat trim which reminded me of the Majestic for sale in my area.

So the Daimler for sale is not a Majestic, but it sure is desirable! Wiki said that in 1993 only 121 Majestics were made and they were specially stretched to become long wheelbase models.

Let us know what the car is like JanL. Hope it all works out and you become a classic Jag owner.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

please bear in mind Jags have (or have had) different VINs when leaving factory and when being road legal in US (or any other than Europe markets); valid at least for XJ40.

You have to always check right VIN decoder, examples (not 100% bulletproof):
- Europe: xclusively jaguar
- US/NA: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...in-decoder.pdf

As stated above, Jaguar is not eligible to use Daimler (trademark) naming as it's owned in NA by other car manufacturer (even not actively used). Interestingly enough still under Ford ownership, was able in 2007 get agreement in use of Daimler naming. However in 2009 Tata lost right to use Daimler trademark naming in US.

Anyway, if you can go and get red Daimler, it's higher specs car with nice differences (rear tables, more quality interior, limited slipdiff etc.).

Last edited by NaseSazky; 04-05-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NaseSazky
Anyway, if you can go and get red Daimler, it's higher specs car with nice differences (rear tables, more quality interior, limited slipdiff etc.).
Not necessarily limited slip diff AFAIK, but I may be wrong ...

Larry

Old 04-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right Larry, I've checked the sources. Sorry for misleading.

All Daimlers started having limited slipdiff as standard but changed over the production, however haven't find the date/MY. Some say it was in later 90's, so if Daimler is cca MY 93 might not have it.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by NaseSazky
You're right Larry, I've checked the sources. Sorry for misleading.

All Daimlers started having limited slipdiff as standard but changed over the production, however haven't find the date/MY. Some say it was in later 90's, so if Daimler is cca MY 93 might not have it.
For what it's worth, our '93 Vanden Plas (U.S. version of the Daimler) did not have an LSD.

Cheers,

Don

93SB (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Daimler with VDP trim - Even though the trim is noted as being VDP, the VDP designation isn't used in Europe, they are all called Daimlers over there. .....
WRONG - Daimler is available in European market AND Daimler VdP is also available. The base Daimler has a higher trim level than the equivalent Jaguar. The Daimler VdP has an even higher trim level.

..... Jaguar couldn't use the Daimler name in N America as that brand was owned by Daimer/Chrysler (AFAIK) .....
CORRECT - ultimately Mercedes Benz owns the rights to the Daimler name in the US preventing Jaguar from marketing vehicles badged as Daimler.

Graham

Quick Reply: Need quick buying tip