XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Opinions, things I should know...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Opinions, things I should know...

Repost from Tech Help section:

So, after stepping into a small pile and having a 77 jag given to me, I have stumbled into seemingly, another lump of doodoo.

I started parting out the 77 as the floors and other rotted items were just too much to justify bringing her back. So, I have just sold off the rear end to a company that builds replica Cobras and GT40s. Always one to keep my eyes peeled, I see an 88 XJ6 Vanden Plas sitting on the lawn of a house across from Dad's with the requisite FS sign in the window. With some fresh cash burning a hole in my pocket, I couldn't resist the quick walk over to give a cursory inspection. I see that the interior is nearly mint. Body is solid, no rot and only two small dimples of rust on front wings. (small as in smaller than a dime)She's missing two hub/lug caps.
Pop the hood.. so clean you could eat off the engine, which is the high compression version.
HHMM... Lets give this number a quick jingle.
5 mins later, the owner comes out and gives me the rundown on her. He's the third owner, only 90K on her. Owned most of its life by an older woman who brought it to the dealership for every service.
Turns the key, fires instantly and purrs like the big kitten she is.
Young guy needs to get rid of it ASAP. I offer him what is in my pocket (which is much less than $1000). He takes it.

So, sitting in front of my garage now, is a 1988 Alpine Green w/ Doe Tan interior Vanden Plas.

Some issues:
The door handles have seen a few too many New England winters and three of them lift up but very loosely and the doors don't open, except from inside. I guess the fragile plastic clips freeze/get brittle and break?? The rear panels are already off as he was attempting to fix.
Second, there are two hydraulic sensors (I think...) located on the lower right side of the frame, next to the AC compressor. One had a bad O ring. I replaced and reinstalled and now need to get the "special" Castrol Mineral Oil for this. The Power Hydro System or something..? Controls brakes and ride height I believe. Are there issues with this to keep an eye out for?

Those are the only two mechanical issues.

Anyone give me the lowdown on these? I know they are the first generation of Ford ownership.
What are the usual issues that occur with these?
Overall, although in my opinion, not as stylish as the Series XJ;s, she is a nice looker.
Other than aesthetics, what are your opinions of this version of the mighty Jaguar?

Thanx as always

Last edited by Brill; 03-25-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Yes, you have a ride levelling system in your car and use only mineral oil (green color) but it is not as reliable as later XJ40s suspension system . You may also convert it to later XJ40's system but it would cost you some pretty money
I have to say that post '92 models seem more reliable over the earlier models . From '90 and up you get a 4.0 liter and very smooth engine as well as electronic tranny .
More refined A/C control unit and as much
Still, '88 ain't a bad choice either

Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The door handles are unique to the 88/89 cars. Yes, they break all the time. I have 59 of the LHF handles in stock.

Do not use anything but the Jaguar fluid. In the 88/89 cars it runs the brakes as well as the old self leveling shocks. I'm sure these have been changed, but you are stuck with the same fluid due to the braking system. We sell it for $9.50 for 500ml bottles with the filler tube.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws...H&sku=IN102770

or, one liter bottles for $11.11 but you need the filler tube for the 88/89 cars.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws...H&sku=IN103798

The switches under the washer reservoir are the charging switch and the low level switch. Very expensive. Hope they aren't leaking out the end with the wires. Again, very common.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you very much!
I have a connection here for the fluid.

Do you have any of the rear door handles in stock?
How much for one RHF, RHR and LHR?

The leak was out of the O ring. I was able to replace O ring and not leaking.
Are these a pipe fitting that should have a teflon tape/pipe dope application or just straight thread and tighten?

Talk soon,