XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

OVERHEATING:Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts
Default RE: OVERHEATING:Part 3

I think if she spins freely (no resistance), she's spent. Again, Jeep had one go bad. Come to think of it, alot of things went bad on my jeep. This was a recall item though. anyhoo...

Old 02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The fan clutch should always turn. If it's warm, you may have resistance, but it should turn. With the engine cold, start the engine and immediately shut it down. It may turn two or so revolutions, but not much more than that.

Shoulds like yours is weak. The classic signs of a weak clutch is a car that overheats in traffic, but is fine on the highway. The signs of a locked up clutch is overheating on the highway but fine in traffic.

Don't worry about the waterpump unless it's leaking. The v8 cars had impellor problems, but the XJ6 cars are just fine.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws?sku=IN105387

Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to help. I put a link to our fan clutch in my post above.

A little further info:

I your case the fan "free wheels" which is what it's suppose to do on the highway. The car's own movement pushes the air through. In stop and go or at idle, the clutch tightens and "pulls" the air in. Sounds like yours never tightens, so no air is drawn in to help cool.

Had the fan been "locked" or "frozen" the air would be pulled through in stop and go traffic just fine. But, once on the highway the fan would spin only as fast as the engine. It would not "free wheel." This actually slows the air being pushed through naturally and causes the overheating at speed.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

You are dead on, JagJeep.

The not free wheeling would be the opposite of your problem. The clutch can fail in two ways. Like yours that never tightens to draw air, or opposite of yours it never frees up to allow the air to "push" the fan faster at highway speeds.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

It sounds like it would be the fix. Can't be certain without being there. How it works. As I've said before, "How does popcorn pop? Who cares? It works!"

Seriously, my simple understanding is that it's a fluid based clutch. The fluid expands and contracts with temparture causing the clutch to engage and disengage. I don't really know how it lets go to "free wheel" at highway speeds.