XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid

I posted this in the XJ40 forum, but thought there might be folks reading here who won't see it there, but might have some information. If there are forum rules against double posting like this please let me know. It won't happen again. thx

Vehicle: 1994, XJ12, Base Model (I believe), 102K miles

Issue: What should I use for Power Steering Fluid?

Background: On purchasing this vehicle a couple days ago the PO was good enough to provide me with a newer pressure hose for between the P/S pump and the reservoir. The existing hose leaked (at the pump side fitting, which turned out to not be the case, the reservoir end had a split that went beyond the hose clamp). On replacing the hose the reservoir drained mostly. The fluid in the reservoir was clear in color, not unlike brake fluid. It was definitely not brake fluid, however. The odor and the "feel" were both wrong for brake fluid. On the reservoir there is a label (original in appearance) saying use Dexron 2 (ATF, presumably). After several hours research I discovered that Dexron 2 is replaced by Dexron 3, the latter being backwards compatible with D2. ATF is, however, red in color, not clear. Additionally, I found some owners discuss using mineral oil (unclear if they meant using it for the P/S system), and on a large warning placard on the underside of the hood Castrol Mineral Oil is mentioned, but it is not clear where it is to be used. I called the PO and he told me he used "Power Steering Fluid" from NAPA. It comes in a red plastic bottle. At the NAPA store near here the red bottle is by Valvoline, and Napa's substitute is in a black bottle. Both products are clear in color. According to the NAPA folks there is no clear ATF.

Trying to change the fluid seems out of the question as how do I get all the old fluid out? So I am reluctant to use ATF at this point because it is definitely NOT what is in the system at this time.

If anyone has a truly definitive word, I would be happy for it. Even if it means changing the fluid by degree: drain the system, refill with ATF (or other), turn the wheel lock to lock several times. Drain again and refill. Turn the wheel. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Eventually the system will be filled with not but a trace of the current fluid.

Thank you for any assitance.

Robert Booth
Seattle, Washington, USA
oddjobbob@gmail.com

Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 7,906 Likes on 4,776 Posts

There is probably nothing wrong with using PAS fluid but the Jaguar recommended fluid is DEXRON. Over the years I have seen people put Autopart store brand PAS fluid along wih DEXRON and I can't remember them having any abnormal problems. You can disconnect one of the lines from the steering rack and let the fluid drain out, then refill with DEXRON.

bob gauff

Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,
Thank you for your reply. By "PAS fluid" you mean the generic "Power Steering Fluid" available at NAPA?

I will take you suggestion, though, and drain the system from the rack. Is the a "preferred" line to disconnect?

Thank you again.

reb

Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 7,906 Likes on 4,776 Posts

PAS is an abbreviation for 'Power Assisted Steering'.

You can disconnect the easiest line and let it drain.
You can also turn the wheel lock-to-lock to get more fluid from the rack.

bob gauff