XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Question regarding door trim/panel repair and automatic locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding door trim/panel repair and automatic locks

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to address problems as they come up. When I bought my '94 XJ6, I knew that it would need some cosmetic work. I have to glue the wooden center trim piece back on, as well as the chromed handle trim for the driver's door. However, it looks like the door panel itself is separating from the metal car door at the corner nearest to the sideview mirror. So far, I haven't been able to find any clips or screws that attach the two together and have been debating using trim glue to re-adhere it.

My only concern is if I do this, I won't be able to get into the door again to replace a bad window motor in the future. I am planning on ordering a service manual, but I figured I should ask first. Not sure if it helps, but the only other thing I can mention is that the the door panel actually moves somewhat when the automatic locks activate. Not only that, but the automatic door locks actually go up and down several times before finally partially locking, as well. Again, not sure if it's relevant, but you never know. Hopefully I described my problem well enough. Thanks, everyone!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

There are clips in the panel that go into preset holes in the metal of the door.
Take the panel off (refer to the haynes manual) and you will either see the clip has broken, or the clip is in the door and has come off of its preset hole in the panel.
The panel is easy to come off once you know where all the screws are. Do not glue it on.

I cant help with the door lock issue, but if the panel isn't seated properly, it could be getting hung up.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

the panel moving sounds like there might be a loose broken or bent linkage for the lock(when you get the panel off you will see there are quite a few rods that move about to activate the locking system) By all means buy a manual the are usually priced quite reasonably on e bay or craigs list(i have a 93 now and my manual was printed in 90 but almost everything is the same)

The following users liked this post:
mphilleo (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the info, guys. I found a (partial) culprit, though. The retaining clip around the handle hadn't been reinstalled correctly, which led to some of the looseness in the panel. In addition to that, I think the male connection point under the HVAC donut is either broken or missing. Looks like I've got some work to do!