Ready to throw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  19.3 KB

Threads taken off some and looks like JT has a little hope at last thanks to you guys

Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Got it Bob and I am looking at it now. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Great work gentlemen.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you guys are all fantastic. I went from ready to dump this car to actually seeing some progress in a matter of a couple days. Since I am by myself today at my shop and have some time to play without interuption, I am going to see what else I can accomplish. I'll post my findings later.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

JT, I just finished working on my car and I was going to look over the S-73 to see what you had. Did I understand that you eliminated the shock leveler? As Doug posted it might need time to register that all is ok, however, I am saying this because you see no leaks. I will look it over again tonight and see what might hit me. Please do not be offended if I suggest checking what you have already checked, just let me know. It sounds like you are making progress, that is a good thing.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

S-73 Hydraulics Publication, provided by motorcarman, for your use

Last edited by H20boy; 10-01-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 AM

The rear shocks were bypassed by a previous owner and wasn't something that I had done recently. I am going to pull the car back into my shop today to see what else I can figure out what is going on.

Does anyone know how many quarts the brake/suspension system is supposed to hold?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

JT,
Sorry I have been delayed getting back to you. I had a project on my own car and also had 3 grandsons on Saturday.

After re-reading your notes and looking at S73-1 I am wondering if your brake system was full of air when you first got it and after sitting the fluid you added did not leak out just went to the bottom and the air was present when you checked it again. You also said that the brake light was back on again leads me to believe that the system was way low before you added fluid. If you have no evidence of a leak and I would recheck your master (boost) cylinder. I say this because several years ago I had a master cylinder leaking and did not know it; the fluid leaking was not visible from the outside. Not being familiar with the ride leveling I am not sure where it was plugged and what element was removed from the system. For now I feel the theory of air in the system is possible and should be pursued, take the time necessary and bleed the system. In most cases it is a good thing to do it gets rid of the moisture in the system. Please let us know what you find. I hope this helps!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 AM

That is sound advice. I will look into this in the upcoming week.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 PM

I sadly just sold my 83 Mecedes so now I can focus completely on the Jag. This week should be very sucessful now that I have one less car and some cash to play with.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I hope it goes well for you! JT, could you provide me with the codes you have on the car? I would like to look them up and see what you have going on. When you got this car were any codes present then? I ask that because of the modification to the leveling system that was done.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:52 PM

UPDATE 10-9-10

I have good news to report. Yes, there is a fluid leak. I got another two quarts of Mineral Oil for the system again. I added one to the reservoir at the begining of the week and the Brake System Low Pressure warning light went away. I brought the car to the detailer two buildings away to have him clean it up since its been sitting and the paint was in need of some love. I got the car back yesterday and parked it next to my shop.
Today I moved it inside so I can check a couple things (light bulbs, low washer fluid, power steering fluid etc) and when I moved the car I noticed there was a small puddle. It seems to be leaking from somewhere around the reservoir or hoses connecting it. Now I just have to figure out what is leaking.

We're getting closer

Old 10-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

some progress is better than no progress! onward!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

JT,

I was looking at the S73-1 on the hydraulic system it mentions that the my90 reservoir but not yours but I would assume they are about the same. It appears that the seal around the cap is a problem. From what I can see is that the Boost Cylinder, Brake Hyd Cir & Reservoir is all mounted as one. Well now that you know the general area where the leak is I am certain that you will be able to repair the leak.

Attached Thumbnails Ready to throw in the towel-89xj6brakes.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

MY 90 XJ6 had a small leak from one of the hoses at the power steering pump,and another at the steering rack (the rack was worse), If when you had it detailed did they clean and detail engine bay ( if not carefully clean all hoses and fittings relating to the system).

Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 AM

I actually did a little cleaning of the engine compartment myself. I will have to concentrate on the reservoir area to make sure its clean. I have a feeling one of the hoses is leaking. Cross my fingers and hope it's an easy fix.

I do have a question about the PS fluid. Does the XJ40's used the mineral oil for this as well? When I checked the PS fluid, it appeared to me red as if someone added ATF. It's a little low but I didn't know what to put in there so I didn't top it off yet. If transmission fluid was used and its not correct, what is the proper way to flush this system?

Last edited by JT Burkard; 10-10-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  19.3 KB

Looks like we're making at least some progress JT
You feelin any better about it?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JT Burkard
I actually did a little cleaning of the engine compartment myself. I will have to concentrate on the reservoir area to make sure its clean. I have a feeling one of the hoses is leaking. Cross my fingers and hope it's an easy fix.

I do have a question about the PS fluid. Does the XJ40's used the mineral oil for this as well? When I checked the PS fluid, it appeared to me red as if someone added ATF. It's a little low but I didn't know what to put in there so I didn't top it off yet. If transmission fluid was used and its not correct, what is the proper way to flush this system?
JT,

I think this link will help on the fluid type http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...Steering-Fluid

You got to love the Web!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
JT,

I think this link will help on the fluid type http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...Steering-Fluid

You got to love the Web!
Thanks for the link. I checked the web and I found mostly references to the mineral oil and none to ATF. I wish I had an owners manual to check this simple stuff. This makes me feel better now as all day I was thinking I am going to have a nightmare on hand with the PS.

The PO's of this car were apparently not really enthusiasts, or at least didn't show that much care about it. Its now in my hands to undo what others have done to a luxury car gone cheap and didn't want to pay the luxury prices to fix the car the right way.

Jim - Yes, I am starting to feel better about the car as I am progressing. Its a beautiful car and once I can square away these annoying mechanical issues, I can take care of the minor cosmetics (seat leather need some repair and headliner) so it will be a glorious Jaguar once again.

I am a hobbiest and my enjoyment is to take a car like this, fix it and bring it back up to good safe order as well as cleaning it up again so it is presentable. I did the same with the 300d I just sold. That car was ready to be scrapped (with only 87k miles on a Benz Diesel - idiots) and within a few months, I took the car from minutes away from being junked to an excellent running and driving car. And I made a few $$ (very few) on it as well.

Some of the money from that sale is being put into this Jag and my 740il BMW. My wife loves the way this Jaguar looks and I have heard nothing but positive things on the way they drive. I am itching to get this thing done. I will post pictures of it next week so everyone can see what I am working with.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They really are a pleasure to drive, although I still miss my 740il..

Quick Reply: Ready to throw in the towel