XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Ready to throw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ready to throw in the towel

Hello all,

I've had this 89 XJ6 with 77,000 miles for about 7 months now. I put a battery in it when I first bought it. It then sat for about 4 months since then trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with it. A buddy of mine who does work on classic cars and owns a 72 XKE said he will take a look at the car for me.

The issues I had were low brake pressure, ABS failure, system 1 failure, system 2 failure and an unknown engine code. Plus the drivers door handle was broken and the master window switch needed replacement. Also the climate control is not working. The brakes were rock hard and barely stopped. We put two bottles of mineral oil in it and the brakes seemed better. The car sat about 6 weeks since then and the brakes seem to be going back to the way they were and the low brake pressure light is back on. There was no puddle of fluid leaking under the car though. It seems like I moved forward only to go back to square one with the exception of working windows and new door handles.

I am ready to throw in the towel on this project. I am extremely frustrated and I don't think I want to spend another $ on this car. It runs, drives, the body is decent. The interior needs small things. My intentions were to fix the issues and it will be a nice car to drive. My wife loves it but I am will not allow her to drive it because of the issues that plague this thing.

It seems that this car is the poster child for why people say Jaguars of these years are junk. I prefer to do work on my own cars for the enjoyment of taking them to the next level as well as saving the money from taking it to a shop. I just don't know anything about these cars and I am affraid of a huge shop bill to fix all the issues.

I need some advice, direction, and help to decide what to do with this thing. I am ready to dump it for $1,000 just to get out of it but everytime I look at the car, I want to finish the project.

What would you do with it and does anyone know anyone who really knows how to work on these cars that is reasonable?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  19.3 KB

Wow, sorry to hear about your probs JT
Unfortunately I can't help you, but, there's loads of guys here who I'm sure can.
C'mon guys, this sounds like one member tearing his hair out who desperately needs our help. Can any of the really tech minded guys help on this one please??

JT.....Might be worthwhile posting ( slightly diffeently ) into the general tech help section just lidting the probs and see what happens there?
Also look at some of the really tech minded guys in your section, might be worth dropping them a pm / mail as they may not have seen your post.

Hope you get the help you need and stick with it!
Good luck......

Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JT,

Sorry to hear about the Jaguar woes that so many of use suffer. As long as the car is running, the first hurdle has been passed. The brake pressure could be related to a number of things. If the green mineral oil has been added to the green reservoir and is properly filled (you should see green in the top sight glass and not red), you next need to check your power steering fluid reservoir. That may be low. You can fill with ATF Dextron/Mercon type.

Circuit 1 failure is a blown fuse in the left lower fuse box.
Circuit 2 failure is a blown fuse in the right lower fuse box.
BTW, Circuit 3 would be in the fuse box located under the arm rest.

For Check engine, you need the code it is giving you. For that, do the following....run the engine and get the code on the display screen. Shut off the engine, wait 10 seconds then turn the key to Position II (don't start the car). The display will give you a Check Engine code # For your car, which is similar to mine, 1988, here are the following check engine codes:

CODE System Affected Probable Cause

1 Oxygen Sensor Open oxygen sensor circuit

2 Airflow Sensor Not in operating range

3 Coolant Temperature
Sensor Not in operating range

4 Oxygen Sensor System indicates full rich

5 Throttle Potentiometer/
Airflow Sensor Low throttle potentiometer signal with high
airflow sensor signal

6 Throttle Potentiometer/
Airflow Sensor High throttle potentiometer signal with low
airflow sensor signal

7 Throttle Potentiometer Idle fuel adjustment failure

8 Intake Air Temperature
Sensor Open or shorted circuit in IAT sensor
harness

Finally, check all electrical connections and clean as necessary. I would recommend in getting a Haynes manual and supplemental Jaguar maintenance information from others.

Good luck on sorting out the problems. Mine has been laid up for most of the summer and now into the fall, presently with a Check Engine #6 (see above). But that is another story

; )

Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

You need Publication S-73 for a complete understanding of the power hydraulics for the 88/89 MY XJ 40. I tried to upload the .pdf but it is a little over 4MB and will not attach. The limit is 5.25MB but any large .pdf seems to NOT upload.

bob gauff

See post #26 for S-73 in pdf below.

Last edited by H20boy; 10-01-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added note to publication document
Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. These cars can be a challenge I think because they're compicated, allowing for so many things that can go wrong. Sometimes you get one thing fixed and another thing goes wrong.

You have to take into account that you have a twelve year old car. Granted, your car's mileage is low for its age; mine is six years old with about the same amount. But all those original parts are still twelve years old.

Please understand that I don't know very much about cars, but it looks to me that you mainly have sensors that need to be replaced. Been there; done that! After you get those things done, you just might be gravy. Crossing my fingers for you. These cars are a lot of work, and mine in particular is temperamental. But she's well worth it. Good luck, JT!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You just got the attention of many and you better be ready for the help you are going to get because we are going to help you! You are not alone!

I am not familiar with your model car but I am soon to be. Attached is a link to an electrical diagram if you need it and a parts illustration that is hard to use so be patient and if you need help finding it let me know.

Electrical http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf
Parts & Illustrations http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co....htm#XJ6,88-92

What area or thing is not working properly that we can focus on first?

Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

@motorcarman (Bob Gauff) yes the file size restriction is 'not great'.

If you check your PM's in a few minutes you will find my direct email address.

Simply send the file to this, and I will do the rest, as best as I can.

(for info Bob and Gus, use this any time you need to, just let me know, you are both on copy).

@Gus, as always, superb advice and information

As regards to reacting to received files, folks, please remember, the time difference.

Cheers,
Richard

Old 09-29-2010, 04:03 PM

I actually have Pub S-73 already. One of the members sent it to me when I first had this issue. The problem that I am having with the brakes is that I put fluid in and it was fine but now I don't know where its going because it doesn't seem to be leaking out. The rear shocks were already blocked off (converted?) and the line disconnected previous to my ownership. As for the fuses, I will check them tomorrow as well as get that code from the engine light. The ABS failure I was thinking might be a wire off one of the brake sensors. I think I rememeber seeing one just hanging.

I appreate everyones help. I have fair mechanic skills as I was one for about 5 years in the 90's and still work on my own cars. I have BMW's that I fix myself so I am not afraid to get dirty. I just hate to go into something I am clueless about and have no idea where to look.

Thank you all for letting me vent and hopefully after tomorrow I will have some answers to questions. Maybe there is light at the end of this dim tunnel.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am focused on your brakes; I am assuming that you now see the system is leaked down. Is that correct? I looked over the parts illustration and it looks like my old 93 XJ-S but it had center line brakes on the rear. What is Pub S-73?

Last edited by Gus; 09-30-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 399

Wow, guys, you are awesome
So many helpful posts and members all willing to pull together.....fantastic, and thanks to you all.
Hopefully, JT can at least resolve some of his issues with your help

Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm slowly becoming a climate control expert, so let me know what your up against with that. A little more info than it doesn't work

Old 09-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I trust you can overcome those issues , brakes are the first and foremost concern for me , perhaps brake master needs replacement too .

A/C is one of the weakest points for those rides ,so common problems that's why I believe those can be sorted out by earlier references

Old 09-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 394

"Hello all,
I've had this 89 XJ6 with 77,000 miles for about 7 months now. I put a battery in it when I first bought it. It then sat for about 4 months since then trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with it. A buddy of mine who does work on classic cars and owns a 72 XKE said he will take a look at the
car for me.
The issues I had were low brake pressure, ABS failure, system 1 failure, system 2 failure and an unknown engine code. Plus the drivers door handle was broken and the master window switch needed
replacement. Also the climate control is not working. The brakes were rock hard and barely stopped. We put two bottles of mineral oil in it and the brakes seemed better. The car sat about 6 weeks since then and the brakes seem to be going back to the way they were and the low brake pressure light is back on. There was no puddle of fluid leaking under the car though. It seems like I moved forward only to go back to square one with the exception of working windows and new door handles.
I am ready to throw in the towel on this project. I am extremely frustrated and I don't think I want to spend another $ on this car. It runs,
drives, the body is decent. The interior needs small things. My intentions were to fix the issues and it will be a nice car to drive. My wife loves it but I am will not allow her to drive it because of the issues that plague this thing.
It seems that this car is the poster child for why people say Jaguars of these years are junk. I prefer to do work on my own
cars for the enjoyment of taking them to the next level as well as saving the money from taking it to a shop. I just don't know anything about these cars and I am affraid of a huge shop bill to fix all the issues.
I need some advice, direction, and help to decide what to do with this thing. I am ready to dump it for $1,000 just to get out of it but everytime I look at the car, I want to finish the project.
What would you do with it and does anyone know anyone who really knows how to work on these cars that is reasonable?"

Old 09-30-2010, 03:20 PM

I had a couple minutes to play with the car today. The engine code is #3 - Coolant Temperature - Sensor Not in operating range . I tried to double check it again by starting it, letting it run for 10 seconds, turning it off then two clicks of the key (position 2) and it just said Check Engine with no code, oh well. What is the cause of this Code 3?

I actually only had one system Failure not two and that was my A/C fan so that took care of two issues... sort of. The air is not blowing out of the center vents. Any ideas for that?

My biggest concern is the brakes. The bulb is showing red, not green. Obviously it is leaking down yet I don't see it leaking. I have to check that wire I thought was the possible cause for the ABS because that warning light is concerning me as well.

Thank you all for the help and support. I had to vent due to the overwhelming issues that I wasn't sure which direction to go. If I can solve the other issues myself, it may be worth taking it to a shop for the brake issues if I can't figure it out. At least I'll have less of a bill to deal with.

... that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JT Burkard
that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
Given my experience, it's probably an oncoming train!

Glad you're making progress. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have been trying to find information on that cars brake system and have been unsuccessful. I have a buddy who had one of these cars and I will be asking but will not see him until Saturday. I will get back to you then.

As for the leak my neighbor was working on his brake system the other day when he realized his leak was in the brake line and not any of the connectors/fittings. If it were me I would check every inch of the line and not to over look any of it. I would also check the master brake cylinder, and after looking at the configuration on your car it could leak without you knowing it.

JT, good to know that you made a little progress! Your venting was not a problem for me I understand!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 PM

JT,

The Check Engine #3 is the coolant temperature sensor, as you said. You can refer to the Haynes manual for testing it however, it's easier to get a new one and it's not that expensive.

Regarding the mineral oil reservoir, perhaps it was truly empty and needs more of the green blood. Since you don't see any leaks, it's probably still not filled enough to quiet down the warning sensors.

The no air from the middle flap is a vacuum problem and a real PIA to fix. It's easier to pop off the wood fascia, remove the vent, and pop something in there to keep it open. You can use almost anything. I used two childrens sipping straws, cut to size and placed all the way in the far corners (both sides) so that they can't been seen. Problem solved. I prefer to have air, whether warm or cold to flow from the center vent. The remainder of the vent flaps (defrost and floor) should be fine.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JT Burkard
I had a couple minutes to play with the car today. The engine code is #3 - Coolant Temperature - Sensor Not in operating range . I tried to double check it again by starting it, letting it run for 10 seconds, turning it off then two clicks of the key (position 2) and it just said Check Engine with no code, oh well. What is the cause of this Code 3?

I actually only had one system Failure not two and that was my A/C fan so that took care of two issues... sort of. The air is not blowing out of the center vents. Any ideas for that?

My biggest concern is the brakes. The bulb is showing red, not green. Obviously it is leaking down yet I don't see it leaking. I have to check that wire I thought was the possible cause for the ABS because that warning light is concerning me as well.

Thank you all for the help and support. I had to vent due to the overwhelming issues that I wasn't sure which direction to go. If I can solve the other issues myself, it may be worth taking it to a shop for the brake issues if I can't figure it out. At least I'll have less of a bill to deal with.

... that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
Is the center flap opening when you turn on the A/C? You can view this by pulling out the center fascia and the vents. If it's not opening you can tape it open as a cheap fix. Normally though, the cause may be a vaccum leak.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by retromotors
Given my experience, it's probably an oncoming train!

Glad you're making progress. Good luck.
lol, retro!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Gus I sent you a copy of S-73 in your mail

Let me know what else you might need to put in your archives!!!

bob gauff

Last edited by motorcarman; 09-30-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Ready to throw in the towel