XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Searching for an Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching for an Exhaust Manifold

I have a Fuel Fault 44 code (Lambda Sensor/O2 Sensor) issue. When I went to replace the O2 sensor I was faced with a sensor that could only be loosened a 1/4 turn. I stopped before a broke it rendering the car un-usable.

I have searched the Web for an exhaust manifold which a new O2 sensor can be installed. I generally have used Welsh, but they don't seem to be able to assist me on this quest.

Anyone have any other sources they could recommend in the US? I have a long trip planned this summer and don't want to be caught on the side of the road with a car that won't move unless it's on the back of a tow truck.

1991 XJ6 Sovereign, VIN# 645193.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit confused, I do not believe within my experience the o2 sensor goes into the exhaust manifold. It goes into the section of exhaust piping that attaches to the manifold.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You may want to soak the threads with some pb blaster. try a few soakings before you attempt to remove it. If that fails or if the mounting threads strip or the bung is broken (or loose), remove the lower portions (manifold to exhaust pipes) you then have more leverage on the sensor.Then if there is damage you can weld a mount in where the old one was(the metal where the mount is thin and fragile and i believe its stainless steel so have a good welder weld it for you). Those header pipes are very costly as there are catiltic converters in them.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:57 AM

mrtalkradio, you are correct. I had the incorrect part listed above. It is indeed the front exhaust pipe (containing the cat converter) that attaches to the manifold. That is the issue. I would need to replace the cat just to get the exhaust pipe which is costly.

Lumppy47, thanks for the advice. As stated in this reply, I am attempting to stay away from replacing the whole darn pipe (cat included). I am going for a solution that is more function than form, so welding may be an option I'll consider given the cat pipe is $425.00, and the sensor is only $100-125..

Old 07-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Default O2 Sensor

I recently replaced the O2 sensor on my xj40. This was not my first O2 sensor replacement, but my first on an xj40. I was unable to get it off with the pipe still attached to the car.

I ended up pulling the exhaust pipe out of the car and used an impact gun and a vise to get the sucker loose. Maybe you can try pulling the pipe from the car and removing the sensor that way. Access is much better and you can use some bigger tools... The pipe itself came off fairly easily.

Another reccomendation, !but be very careful!, is to warm the car up before removing the sensor. This expands the metal around the sensor and makes it easier to loosen. Just be very careful because everything under there is HOT and access is tight...

Good luck.