XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Seized rear fulcrum shafts

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized rear fulcrum shafts

I have to replace the rear fulcrum bearings. The eccentric shaft is seized very hard into the sleeve. Do you have any idea how to pull it out? I have a big hidraulic press, but I don't feel like to remove the whole wishbone-hub assembly from the rear axle. Big hammer was not enough.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:09 PM

However nobody could give me advice, after a lot of drilling the shaft fell out.

I think it was time to replace the fulcrum bearing

Old 07-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Hello Laleekiraly,
Yow, that bearing looks pretty gnarly!

Sorry you didn't get any help. I would have if I could, but I probably know less than you!

There are some good folks on this forum, but I don't think too many of them like to get their hands dirty!

Anyway, good luck with your Jaguar.

Regards, Retro

Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Hi Retromotors

I realized, this is not a DIY repair. It needs a workshop. Fortunately I have .

So, if nobody knows the secret I tell, how to replace the seized rear fulcrum shaft:

The shaft is 14 mm. It have to be drilled with a 13 mm drill at the center of the screw head, a little deeper than the thickness of the head. After that, the nut have to be screwed on it with 1-2 cm washers. When it is tightened, the haed of the shaft will break. Be careful, the breaking head can fly away with the speed of a gun bullet. After that as the nut is tightened, the shaft will slowly come out of the hub holder. After some tightening, the shaft can be hit out with a pin and a hammer.

After this success the next problem is the removal of the bearing race, if you have not the oem removal tool. The hub holder can be drilled or grinded to make place for knock out the races. This will weaken the hub holder. Better, if you weld a srew or something into the race and you can hit or pull it with a hammer.

I hope this will help somebody.

An other problem:

I did a full suspension overhaul. The front road springs and the spring plates have been powderpainted. Everything is new. Now the car is ready, but sometimes "spring" noise is heard from the front suspension. It is sure, that the springs jockey. Will the noise go away?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Laleekiraly
I did a full suspension overhaul. The front road springs and the spring plates have been powderpainted. Everything is new. Now the car is ready, but sometimes "spring" noise is heard from the front suspension. It is sure, that the springs jockey. Will the noise go away?
Good job replacing the shafts!

As for the spring noise, I would assume that is just the newly coated surfaces getting worn into one another.
If that is the case, it should go away soon.
Just a wild guess on my part, I don't really know!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I live in North Central Texas, USA and I have admit that is the worst/rustiest fulcrum bearing I have ever seen. We don't have really harsh winters with alot of road salt so corrosion is not a common problem. RED DUST is what I would call that!! WOW. Thanks for the PIC

bob gauff

Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have admit that is the worst/rustiest fulcrum bearing I have ever seen.
Yeah. And the most interesting is that this was not hearable in the car when running. I don't know how, I have good ears for suspension noises.