XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Speaker replacement

My speakers are due. Read over some posts and just want to clarify some points.

1. Do I have to replace the wires for the speakers if I'm keeping the factory head?

2. The speakers under the rear seat are the subwoofers? Replacing them with current market speakers will work but I'll lose the low end sound? If so, is there a way around this without adding a sub, new wires,etc.?

3. Any suggestions on where to look for new ones?

I just want to have decent sound in the car and don't need a high end system - would rather keep it as original as possible. Right now I have two functioning speakers and I only use one of them because the the other one sounds awful...

Thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

First off I would look into why only two of the existing speakers function.

Even if they sound like a bee hive on steroids at least you will know you are getting a signal to them.

Changing the wires would be a massive job as they are routed through all the most inaccessible places in the car.

Me, well I don't believe that at my age with normal hearing drop that I could hear the difference between a good standard setup and mega expensive.

I stuck in a donated Pioneer head unit and CD player and then had to figure out which wires to join together (different colours). + route the new link lead between Unit and Player.

More than enough ooomph for me, I don't like driving down the road sounding like a mobile disco'.

Radio Shack?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I believe the cd system in the trunk is a standard Alpine unit fitted in lots of other cars throughout the 90's and into the 2000's ...my mate has a 2005 Mercedes with the same unit in the glove box. Worth checking into maybe?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM

I agree that there might be a problem before the speakers but I would just like to have some on hand so when I tear everything out I can just replace as necessary.

While I'm in there I'm going to have to check on the clock. It doesn't light up. Is that a bulb issue or is it based in the stereo?

QUOTE=Translator;596852]First off I would look into why only two of the existing speakers function.

Even if they sound like a bee hive on steroids at least you will know you are getting a signal to them.

Changing the wires would be a massive job as they are routed through all the most inaccessible places in the car.

Me, well I don't believe that at my age with normal hearing drop that I could hear the difference between a good standard setup and mega expensive.

I stuck in a donated Pioneer head unit and CD player and then had to figure out which wires to join together (different colours). + route the new link lead between Unit and Player.

More than enough ooomph for me, I don't like driving down the road sounding like a mobile disco'.

Radio Shack?[/QUOTE]

Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

There are several iterations of XJ40 and the subwoofers are different sizes and part numbers.

The early cars have smaller speakers and the later ones won't fit.

Please let us know what mystery car you have so we can provide a more complete answer.

bob gauff

Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 AM

Sorry - I thought that showed up in the profile. It's a 92 xj6 sovereign. 653593 on the vin

Originally Posted by motorcarman
There are several iterations of XJ40 and the subwoofers are different sizes and part numbers.

The early cars have smaller speakers and the later ones won't fit.

Please let us know what mystery car you have so we can provide a more complete answer.

bob gauff

Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM

The rear subwoofers are 5 1/4" diameter speakers.
I fitted some old speakers from my brothers Jeep after he put more powerful ones in his car. I found them in a box in my shop and they were 5 1/4" so I removed the torn cone woofers and installed the Jeep ones (no more 'raspy' bass).

I ordered some speaker repair kits and fixed the Jaguar woofers but I have not installed them in my 1992 XJ6 (I still have the Jeep speakers)

I would think that most 5 1/4" speakers will fit the rear woofer cavity under the seat.

bob gauff

Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 AM

Can you tell me where you ordered the repair kits?

Thanks for the info.

I fitted some old speakers from my brothers Jeep after he put more powerful ones in his car. I found them in a box in my shop and they were 5 1/4" so I removed the torn cone woofers and installed the Jeep ones (no more 'raspy' bass).

I ordered some speaker repair kits and fixed the Jaguar woofers but I have not installed them in my 1992 XJ6 (I still have the Jeep speakers)

I would think that most 5 1/4" speakers will fit the rear woofer cavity under the seat.

bob gauff

Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is not speaker size or type. Mine is.... how do you wire for 6 speakers when new head units only have outputs for 4 speakers (Left, Right, Front, Rear)?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bob gauff
Do you happen to have some pictures that you could post showing what the cavity/sub box looks like and how they are mounted?

I hadn't known these Jaguars had had subwoofers under the rear seats, so I doubt my 94MY XJ12 (manuf 4-93) even has it. It would be nice to have a small sub just to enhance the overall audio experience- I could build a box for one if needed. The car didn't have a cd changer when I got her and the tape deck has seen better days, so I'm planning to replace it with a 90's Pioneer tape deck/cd changer matched set that I have. The rest of the speakers need repair also, but I'll probably just replace them too.

Thanks, Wes

Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the middle of stereo and speaker upgrade project.

Head unit is piece of cake, just need to find ACC power line we're golden.

Speakers are not fun, entire door panel must be disassembled.

At part now where running new wires and MAN trying to get from door to inside car is proven to be a P _ I _ T_ A!!!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished speaker and stereo upgrade.

Took my time and was all of a day.

Deck fit quite proper:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by LuvMyCat; 11-09-2012 at 12:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TxDevilDog76 (09-21-2014)
Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM

how to go about removing the door panels I replaced my head unit already and my speakers in the car sound disgusting I found out the size is 6.5 if im correct

Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door panel access to speakers

Robario, welcome to the community of tortured but proud XJ40 owners. A pretty good instruction for door panel removal is provided by hoff70 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-panel-81218/
You will become intimate with your door panel removals, either for speaker replacement or door handle replacement. I have replaced my speakers all 4 doors, and door handles twice each on both front doors. One additional hint: Multiple removals tend to wear out the door panel retainer inserts, causing loose interior panels. So have a few spares on hand; you can get them from jagbits and other sources.

The following 2 users liked this post by redfish12:
bigblackjag (05-01-2013), roborio (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 AM

I just got my sub and amp so im ready run my wiring kit but don't where to run the power wire from the battery to trunk left or right and where is the firewall??

Last edited by roborio; 04-06-2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: miss spelld
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Hello, just want to jump in on this one.

I need to replace all the speakers in my 93 xj40.

I need some clarifications please.

1, Rear speakers are 5 1/4" - correct?
2, There are speakers under the rear seat?
3, What is the speaker size in the doors?

Or, does anyone have a list of what the 93 xj40's have for sound?

Sorry, I need outstanding sound, and i am not saying loud, i need loud and professional quality.

Thank you for any input/help you can provide.

Attached Thumbnails Speaker replacement-steve-steigman-blown-away.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 PM

Picked up the speakers and luckily found an original set for under the back seat. Does anyone know how to remove those speakers? I checked the manual and only found the door speaker removal instructions.

thanks in advance for any help

Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking into replacing my set up. I have been looking at Crutchfield Car Selector I have the same question on the wires do they need to be replaced or are the factory ones good enough?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Under the seat speakers are super easy. The cover just comes off with a bit of a pry. Then you unbolt the old speakers from the housing and they come out. If you are replacing the factory speakers with factory speakers no modification has to be done. If you go aftermarket there has to be a spacer made and some sheet metal removal from the hole because of the size of the current magnets.

Quick Reply: Speaker replacement