XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Startin issues and shockies

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Startin issues and shockies

Hi guys
I have been having some issues off and on starting my xj40 4 litre. When it starts it is fine except there is a hissing sound down the passenger side of the car but stops when accelerator has pressure applied. When it wont start it just cranks over fine but just wont fire no matter how many times I try but if I leave it for a day or two it sometimes starts like it should. Any suggestions?
Also I have a knocking sound coming from the drivers side rear when going over bumps and on rough surfaces. I have tried pushing down on the rear guard but the shock seems to be working fine. The back end of the car looks like it is sitting low compared with the front. The car has only been on the road for a couple of weeks and went through for a warrant of fitness without a hitch, I assume they would pick up if the shockies were in need of replacement and would have turned it down for WOF
Look forward to any help at all

Old 11-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear sounds like rear shock mounts, same issue my car has.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Cheers, thank you for the quick response, I will look into it and let you know if that is the problem

Old 12-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Moodie:

It sounds like it wouldn't hurt to put a fuel pressure gauge on to see whether you are getting good, strong fuel pressure both at start up and upon acceleration. It cutting out during acceleration could also, I suppose, be related to a dirty throttle body, etc. Aren't there any codes on the VCM?

Scott

Old 12-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Hi Scott
There are no codes coming up on the vcm. I am thinking if it is the fuel pressure regulator would a generic one fit these model cars as I did get a price for one and they are NZ$700 plus, that hurt.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Moodie:
(Keep in mind that I'm no mechanic…) But I seem to recall that a cheap and easy way to check of the FPR isn't at least perforated is to remove the vacuum line during operation. If no fuel comes out, it doesn't mean the part isn't regulating, but it diminishes the possibility.

Meanwhile, that price is crazy! I can pick one up for less than $100 US. I don't know how hard it is to shop internationally, but it might be a lot cheaper even with all the extra postage…

I'm still not sure I would do anything without a mechanic doing a proper fuel pressure test…

Cheers,
Scott

Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Default Starting issues

Hi guys, I had my shockies checked and there were no bushes at all, the shockies were just tightened up to the top plate and had started to wear out the hole, have since had bushes put in and all good. The starting issues I fixed by putting in an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with attached gauge. All was well until this morning the ol girl would not start again. I checked the pressure gauge and it was way up to 70 odd psi when previously it sat around 20 psi when not running. Does anyone have a clue as to what I am dealing with here?

Cheers

Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

70psi fuel pressure at the rail?? You plan on going to the moon do ya?

Intermittent start issues, cranking over and over for me has always been a spark issue. Which leads me to preaching about the crank position sensor, do you really need me to do that again?

The following users liked this post:
Moodieblue (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM

Yea that pressure is still up there and wont drop. Might have to remove it completely and see if it changes or I will be jumping over the moon haha

Old 02-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Hi guys
I removed the new FPR and the pressure stayed up (according to the guage) and over the next couple of days it kept building up pressure to the point the needle was as far as possible to go right round to the pin and was starting to bend, At a guess I figured a faulty FPR. Have had it replaced but have not put it in yet as I have had no starting issues with the original which I put back on until the replacement arrived. Suddenly we had a dewie morning and the ol' girl refused to start so I think the problem is possibly moisture. I covered the motor with old towels overnight and she started first turn of the key. I left it the next night and a dewie morning and no start so I repeated the towel thing and hey presto she started. I have sprayed everything under the bonnet with WD40 but still having issues with the dew with no cover over the engine. Is there a problematic area for moisture that I am unaware of that is reasonably common for condensation build up?

Last edited by Moodieblue; 02-08-2014 at 05:18 PM.