XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Strut replacing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:47 PM
88 XJ6
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Strut replacing Problems

I am getting my rear struts replaced on my 88 xj6 right now!!!!!!!.....and my mechanic has come to a problem with the strut line. What is the 2 lines connected to the top of the shock used for? my mechanic says its not the matching the strut that i ordered? When i ordered the struts ebay verified that they were for my model but my mechanic says different but is not sure. Want to know what are the lines used for?can i do away with them without messing anything up? I tried to post pics below but it says data corrupt on the website. Needs a reaponse ASAP!!!!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Your car has self-leveling rear suspension. The lines contain hydraulic fluid.

Many cars have had the self-leveling system replaced so it's a good bet that the struts you bought on ebay are for a car that has been converted. When you convert a car, you change the springs too AFAIK ..

Here's some more info, I haven't had any experience doing this but others have, especially Bob (motorcarman)

Bob posted this Jaguar .pdf info sheet on the conversion to the stickies, here you go, it might be something to start with - more info on alternatives/method can be found by searching the forum.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ng-dampers.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-07-2017)