XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Uneven tyre wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven tyre wear

The inside of my RHS (driver's) tyre only is badly worn -- almost bald, after about 9,000 kms. The other front tyre (bought at same time) looks almost new. I am a gentle driver, and always check inflation pressures regularly. Ideas please?

Old 06-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

When an inner or outer rib wears faster than than the rest of the tire, the need for wheel alignment is indicated. There is excessive camber in the front suspension, causing the wheel to lean too much to the inside or outside and putting too much load on one side of the tire. The car may simply need the wheels aligned, but misalignment could be due to sagging springs, worn ball joints, incorrectly tightened or worn wheel bearings or worn control arm bushings.

To check the bearings, with the front wheel off the ground, grab the tire on the top and bottom and using a push/pull action see if there is any movement or wobble.

Depending on what year your Cat is, it's possible that the steering rack mount bushes are also worn which can cause excessive side to side movement of the rack. Worn bushes will prevent an accurate alignment of the wheels.

Because load has a great affect on alignment, be sure the car is loaded the way it's normally driven when you have the wheels aligned; this is particularly important with independent rear suspension cars. A full grown person should be sitting in the drivers seat.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi suzy,

XJSolver has given you some excellent input, and as he alludes, it would be helpful if you could please add the year, model and engine information of your Jaguar to your signature line so others can give you the most accurate responses to your inquiries.

Cheers,

Don

Old 06-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Have been rather tucked up with work! Anyway, car is 1988 MY XJ40 with the straight 6 3.6L engine, Automatic. The headlamps are the distinctive rectangular shape. I have kept the original metric wheels.