XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Valvoline's Full Fuel System Cleaning Service

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Valvoline's Full Fuel System Cleaning Service

Has anyone had this done on their XJ40? Did it help your mileage/power?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Never heard of it. What does it entail?

Still having a clean fuel system can't be a bad idea.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It is probably like any other system cleaner, Valvoines site says it is a 3 step cleaning. They probably hook up a cleaner injection loop into the fuel rail and run some heavy duty cleaners through it.

I wouldn't spend my money on it. A can of seafoam in the fuel tank and in the intake prolly does almost as good of a job. I have used seafoam as a general purpose cleaner on intake parts when I take them appart and it disolves carbon very well.

The concentrated loop has the advantage of having a more concentrated cleaning of the fuel lines and injectors.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by gunnerman
It is probably like any other system cleaner, Valvoines site says it is a 3 step cleaning. They probably hook up a cleaner injection loop into the fuel rail and run some heavy duty cleaners through it.

I wouldn't spend my money on it. A can of seafoam in the fuel tank and in the intake prolly does almost as good of a job. I have used seafoam as a general purpose cleaner on intake parts when I take them appart and it disolves carbon very well.

The concentrated loop has the advantage of having a more concentrated cleaning of the fuel lines and injectors.
Not to ask a dumb question but where is the fuel intake?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 AM

Not fuel intake, air intake. Seafoam is traditionally applied into a suction line feeding all cyclinders in the intake manfold. I use their spray can to clean parts etc and now and then give a blast to the intake.

Not sure it helped me but I it will disolve almost any carbon it touches.

The solvent is delivered to the cyclinders via air induction where as Valvoline would most likely deliver it via fuel injection sysem.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by gunnerman
Not fuel intake, air intake. Seafoam is traditionally applied into a suction line feeding all cyclinders in the intake manfold. I use their spray can to clean parts etc and now and then give a blast to the intake.

Not sure it helped me but I it will disolve almost any carbon it touches.

The solvent is delivered to the cyclinders via air induction where as Valvoline would most likely deliver it via fuel injection sysem.
Is it easy to use the Sea Foam on the air intake? I am pretty sure a servie place did that on my old Civic and it made a giant black cloud.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunatly I work for walmart and one of the services we do is the fuel injection service with the Valvoline product.
Its a 2 step system involving an adative in the gas tank, and a drip line attached to a vacume line.

If done properly, it will clean out some of the junk from the injectors.
But few people hook the hose to the right vacume lines. Iv seen people hook the dripline to a vacume line on one side of a V type engine... basicaly cleaning just one bank of injectors. lol.

In my case. I gave it a try right after I purchased the vehicle and it did return some of the lost power and fuel econo.... However, the vehicle had been sitting for a while... and like always, results may vary.
I had similar results with seafoam on previouse cars.

Honestly, take a little time and grab a can of carb and choke cleaner and a bottle fo seafoam. Run the car, and clean the intake area with the carb cleaner and let the seafoam do its thing...

Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Yeah when I did it I just sprayed it down the two suction lines on the top of the manifold. Since the plenum is open to all cylinders either works.

Seafoam recomends to spray it into the throttle body but it was to much of a pain for me...Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Spray

I am with Adrian, if you can get seafoam to coat your valves, injectos, and pistons it will dissolve the carbon and might do some good. Go buy some carb cleaner, a 1/4" knuckle buster, some 1/4 inch ratchet extensions, and a 10mm socket and remove the throttle body and clean it and the IAC. Some The Right Stuff will be useful to put it back on. That will probably be worth your time if never done before. While you are at it do the oil cooler bypass conversion while you have access...j/k.

Last edited by gunnerman; 08-04-2011 at 10:18 PM.