XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

weird issue with fuel? 1993 xj6

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default weird issue with fuel? 1993 xj6

I've noticed that when I let the gas gauge get close to empty but before reserve when I go to start it takes much more revolutions to start, but as soon as I fill it up car starts immediately?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Rob:
Two things... First, I wouldn't let the fuel get that low! It's that whole, 'Doctor, it hurts when I do this' kinda thing. Second, at least it is starting; but could this be the beginnings of a fuel pump no longer able to keep the pressure up? Next time the gas is that low, I'd do the 'key cycle' check. Cycle the key through positions I and II (but not starting) three times or so to give several priming bursts, and see if the car starts on the first crank. Otherwise, it might be time for a fuel pressure check at the fuel rail.

Scott

The following users liked this post:
malibudav (12-29-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Have you checked to make sure you haven't got an inch or two of water sitting in your fuel tank? Next time you're almost running on empty you might consider a complete drain and flush of the tank to remove any water and crud that might have built up over the years.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

No one knows better than I, that cars can't run on water. As a matter of fact the entire system takes a beating when trying to. First thing I do when getting a 89-94 XJ6 is climb under and look at the fuel pump. Even if it works, if it looks old to my eyes I am changing it. The job itself doesn't take long, and fuel pumps are short money.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Rob:
Two things... First, I wouldn't let the fuel get that low! It's that whole, 'Doctor, it hurts when I do this' kinda thing. Second, at least it is starting; but could this be the beginnings of a fuel pump no longer able to keep the pressure up? Next time the gas is that low, I'd do the 'key cycle' check. Cycle the key through positions I and II (but not starting) three times or so to give several priming bursts, and see if the car starts on the first crank. Otherwise, it might be time for a fuel pressure check at the fuel rail.

Scott
I'm replacing an in-tank pump next week but I wasn't sure what to do about the check valve that has also failed. I'm told the part is no longer for sale from Jaguar. Your suggestion to put one at the fuel rail sounds great. Any pics, or is there a thread I missed that illustrates what to do with check valves?
Thanks for the knowledge!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

malibudav:
I was referring only to the checking of fuel pressure. I'm not really familiar with a check valve in this system; and (thankfully!) I've not yet had to replace my tank canister and pump - so I've not had to deal with it. I cannot access my shop manual presently because it only runs on a computer that I currently have in storage. I've looked at the Haynes manual (pg 4-5), which doesn't say anything about a check valve or it's replacement. Perhaps others will chime in. Sorry!
Scott

Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

From my experience I know of no check valve either. I also am not sure all 94's have in the gas tank fuel pumps. The one in my 90 VDP was pulled from the exterior of a gold 94

Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The last time I had my in-tank pump replaced, I was still losing pressure and was told it was a failing check valve. I dealt with it by cycling the ignition to get the .5 second bursts and then it would start.

I called coventry west and IIRC they told me this part was no longer for sale but he did identify the part.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malibudav
The last time I had my in-tank pump replaced, I was still losing pressure and was told it was a failing check valve. I dealt with it by cycling the ignition to get the .5 second bursts and then it would start.

I called coventry west and IIRC they told me this part was no longer for sale but he did identify the part.
did you fix it?