XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Window washer jet for screen no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window washer jet for screen no longer working

Hi the other day for some reason my window washer for my screen stopped working after I took it to a garage to have a problem sorted out which they did not fix.

On the way back, i turned on my window wipers and press for water but nothing came out just a noise and then i noticed that my headlight jet washer was working but not for my windscreen and would like to know if people think I have a blockage and if so how can i unblock this. Also is there something on the dashboard or inside the car that the garage could have pressed by mistake which is causing only my headlights to be washed instead of my windscreen. My window wipers work fine but the jet wash for my windscreen does not.

Any help would be great as it was very dangerous yesterday when driving due to having no water to spray on my window and had to pull over a number of times.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Apart from the usual, check fuses Right side B6, possibly center No5 (doubtful).

Try swapping the headlight washer relay with the windscreen washer relay. Located in the relay box front right corner of the engine bay.

Before you do the swap why not try disconnecting the H/lamp washer from the equation and then see if your screen washer motor is working, pull fuse R/side A6.

If the screen wash motor runs and you have fluid in the reservoir then suspect a blockage.
Try poking a pin down the outlet orifice in your jets whilst at the same time someone else presses your wash button. It doesn't take much to block them. (Ignition on)

With your other dashboard problems, do you in fact have washer fluid?

If it doesn't run, and your fuses are good, and you have swapped the relay, then suspect a bad connection. There are quite a few connectors down in that corner so give them a check, especially as you mention in another post that you have just had various connectors pulled and cleaned.

For your other post, if it still doesn't work, and the garage gave you a written invoice for the work, saying that they had fixed it, then take it back, to them, and with a smile ask them to sort it out. No need to become agitated at this point.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Default blockage

Hi, i took the car back to the garage and they have said my motors are working fine but they claim their is a blockage in the filter or somewhere. They said it could take all day to take out the water section to get to the filter, they will not give me a rough price which worries me.

Can you tell me more about this and where they are please - message you posted below

(If the screen wash motor runs and you have fluid in the reservoir then suspect a blockage.
Try poking a pin down the outlet orifice in your jets whilst at the same time someone else presses your wash button. It doesn't take much to block them. (Ignition on)

I think I might have blocked them by not putting the correct amount of anti freeze in

regards

Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

You can remove the plastic nozzle covers by turning them anticlockwise and lifting them off. Warning they are old plastic, and brittle, and easily break.

This will give you access to the nozzles that you want to poke about with a needle, whilst at the same time have your assistant operate the wash motor.

If this doesn't work then remove the wiper arm, there is a nut under the plastic cover.
And then remove the plastic valance panel 5 torx screws. This will give you access to the underside of the nozzles so you can disconnect the pipes.

You can now try the wash motor again. If water now pumps out of the pipe, you problem is at the nozzle. Try blowing it through, or poking a thin wire through it to clear it.

If no water pumps through the pipe but the motor runs, then try blowing back down the pipe towards the bottle (may help).

If that doesn't work then you are going to need to remove the bottle, and that is where it becomes fiddly.

There are a couple of bolts that hold it to the pannel and not a lot of room to manoeuvre, and rememeber it is a lot bigger than the bit you can see, it holds about a gallon of liquid.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 AM

I personally replaced the whole washer hose, since it got busted. From the dispenser all the way to the winshield.

it cost me around 5 dollar.

Mines does not have a washer for my headlights.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default washer for windscreen

My washer motor runs, I have fluid, but none gets to the wiper blade - I pulled the rubber tubing and nothing getting there.

Ideas?

Craig