XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

XJ 40 heater vacuum lines diagram

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ 40 heater vacuum lines diagram

Does anyone has the heater vacuum lines diagram for a 1990 xj40? My Haynes book does not show any vacuum diagram. Previous owner messed-up the lines, so no heat! Thanks for any response.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts
Default Vac line colours

Does this help?

Vacuum System
The vacuum supply to four solenoids in the system is from the engine manifold via a reservoir located under the battery and a non return valve.
The vacuum solenoids are located on brackets beneath the heater assembly.
Components operated by the solenoids are:
1 Defrost/Demist flaps which are held closed by vacuum identified by a green vacuum supply tube.
2 Recirculation/fresh air flaps which are held closed by vacuum indentified by a blue vacuum tube.
3 Centre vent, which is opened by vacuum identified by a black vacuum tube.
4 Coolant valve which is closed by vacuum identified by a red vacuum supply tube.

Source JTIS XJ6 Service Manual Vol 4 (note to Mods are you OK with this citation?)
Good luck,

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's ok Translator , thanks for your help

Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Translator
Does this help?

Vacuum System
The vacuum supply to four solenoids in the system is from the engine manifold via a reservoir located under the battery and a non return valve.
The vacuum solenoids are located on brackets beneath the heater assembly.
Components operated by the solenoids are:
1 Defrost/Demist flaps which are held closed by vacuum identified by a green vacuum supply tube.
2 Recirculation/fresh air flaps which are held closed by vacuum indentified by a blue vacuum tube.
3 Centre vent, which is opened by vacuum identified by a black vacuum tube.
4 Coolant valve which is closed by vacuum identified by a red vacuum supply tube.

Source JTIS XJ6 Service Manual Vol 4 (note to Mods are you OK with this citation?)
Good luck,
Thank you Translator. I have the service manual on CD but it does not show any vacuum lines diagram. I have a yellow? line going into a red line, a blue line going into a black one etc. That's the reason for a diagram just as you would with the electrical system, without tearing everything apart. Having said this, my nearest Jag dealer is some 350 miles from where I live and there are no Jag experts in this area and locals don't touch these cars.
So, if some out there knows the answer, I would much appreciated.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Ah can't help you there, I thought the thing was already in bits.

However: I think I get the gist of your problem. The car is almost in bits and you have located the vac solenoids all neatly randomly connected with assorted inlet and outlet pipes but you don't know what goes where further down the line?

Here's where I'll get slammed.
To identify the outlet pipe and its corresponding component ONE at a time disconnect an outlet pipe from the solenoid and then give it a good suck. Whatever it activates should move and you will have identified it. Make notes.
To identify which solenoid does what. One at a time. Stick your finger over the end of the outlet connector on the solenoid and one by one operate the controls, when you get sucked in, as it were, you will have identified which solenoid corresponds to which control. Make notes.
You might need to power up, because I don’t know how much vac is held in the reservoir.
PS, If you have a good friend they might agree to help with the above.
Now reconnect accordingly.
I have not tried this personally on a Jag, and you do this at your own risk.
If anyone else has a better method, feel free.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Thank you Translator for taking the time to respond. I will take your advice in consideration. There are other issues that must be resolved, like getting both blowers to work. Had both blower motors out and tested, they work and fuses are ok, otherwise the cat runs great. Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Translator,

I have a quick question...The information provided for the heater vacuum lines are for a 1990 model. With the exception of the relays, will the same apply for a 1988 model?

Presently, the coolant valve on my vehicle is MIA due to the previous owner. I'm trying to determine if the vacuum line that went to this valve should either be left open or closed. I've tired both methods and there doesn't seem to be any change in how the climate controls work (with the exception of the windscreen vents which pushes air regardless of hot or cold selection on the climate control). I know the windscreen vents are controlled by a vacuum which is probably defunct due to the car's age. Perhaps I should put a small check valve on the vacuum line....something I can pick up for use on an aquarium fish tank for the air pump?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

Sadly Fritter you have arrived a the limit of my knowledge, I simply don't know. I am just an amateur that "enjoys" all things mechanical and can follow procedure to get things moving again, or discover why they don't.

You need one of the Techs to pick up on this, which they probably will do given time. Just be patient and try to remember that they can't answer everyone immediately all the time.

JTO, Po, you hovering anywhere out there?

Hmm, while you are in there why not go that extra mile with the aquarium idea and replace the centre console. Look forward to the pics;-)

Sorry not to have been of more help.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Translator,

Thanks for the feedback. I will investigate the air check valve as an alternative perhaps this weekend. The vacuum line in question is colored orange and runs along the firewall, inside the engine compartment, right above the windscreen wiper motor. It has a rubber connector which was associated with connecting to the coolant valve (which is now just a straight pipe). As for pics...I have to review the FAQ one of these days for posting on this site.

Regarding the removal of the center console....no no no. The climate control is operating fine and I don't want to jinx it at this time. When that time does arrive, I will replace all the bulbs which are presently dim but not completely out.

This car so far runs like a champ considering its age and mileage (169,000). I've been replacing things as $$ and time allows. Just recently, I had the rear shock conversion installed. That made a BIG difference in the ride.

Can you believe that the original fuel pump is operational (I may need to change this at some point because it has that high pitch hum once in a while). Either the previous owner was good to the car or the right manufacturing conditions existed on the day it was built.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Old 09-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member

Good on you, fall4it.
However the above links just lead to their add image and not the diagrams;-(
Cheers,