XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default '88 xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild

Hi All,

'88 xj40 3.6Lt

Just wondering if anyone with some knowledge on the subject have rebuilt their power steering rack - strip down and replace seals?

I've added some Lucas PS Stop Leak in the interim and immediately noticed a (positive) difference in steering feel from the rack but I'm unsure if it's going to be anything more than a temporary fix. I'll have to check my drip tray in the morning to see how much fluid if any has leaked out overnight.

I have plenty of time on my hands, and having successfully rebuilt my transmission previously, the willingness to give it a go myself. My problem is I haven't got a lot of dollars to invest in an exchange unit or have a mechanic undertake the work and with no manuals on the subject available, I'm a little unsure how to remove the steering link pinion gear in order to get all the internal parts out.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Although I haven't rebuilt a power steering rack before, I'm saving this to my favorites for such emergencies. You'd need the new bits but, this explains the procedure...(I don't think it's a Jaguar rack) Power Steering Rack Rebuild
I'm sure someone can chime in as to how to remove the steering link pinion gear...

The following users liked this post:
Jagfix38 (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanks for that info 4litre, I've bookmarked that webpage for future reference.

So far since adding the Lucas PS Stop Leak, the leak has slowed down however it hasn't eliminated it entirely so some work on my PS Rack will be required.

Before I do so though I've read elsewhere that it is possible to replace the Adwest style rack with a ZF type from a later model xj40. Apparently the ZF is a more reliable unit so if this is the case then it's definitely worthy of some further research.

What I've been unable to determine is whether the ZF is a simple bolt in replacement? or is there modification required to make it fit?

Any further input would be welcome.... in the interim I'll roll up my sleeves and tackle the half shaft bearings and seals in the rear end... not looking forward to the 2 mile walk to the nearest workshop and back to have the new bearings and collars pressed on though! Ahh, the trials and tribulations in order to stem the smallest of smallest fluid leaks on one side! I wonder if Lucas PS Stop Leak also works in the diff ???

4litre (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

I have taken many racks out and reinstalled, I've never rebuilt one though. I do believe it is explained with pictures in the Haynes Jaguar Manual, you're in Australia I'm not sure its available there. Try their website, may be available online for download.

Where is the leak coming from in the diff?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You're welcome JagFix38! The Lucas may buy you some time but, you can't beat the inevitable. However, after searching around for this type of upgrade, I think that it may be a black art ! I did see a vid of a guy who has changed the steering box to rack on is Mk 2...shoot him a message and he just might be able to give you a little more insight of what you can do to get it done. Let us know how it turns out and we're all rooting for you! P.S. please don't put that in your diff LOL!!! Cheers!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 PM

I didn't think to check the haynes but just pulled it out to have a look. The procedure for removing and refitting the rack is there but not an actual strip down and rebuild to replace the seals. I've had it out previously to replace the rack bushes and again when I rebuilt my front suspension so up to speed on that part.

The leak I have in the diff appears to be coming from the RHS output shaft seal so with 232,000 kms on the clock I suspect it's probably about time I tackled the bearings and seals at the same time as renewing the diff oil.

I changed the diff oil about 3 years ago but only recently realised that I refilled with the incorrect weight oil. I should have used Limited slip 90 weight as opposed to the other Non Limited Slip oil that I used (can't remember the specs). I'm even wondering if I should go for a Lim Slip 85w/140? although I think this might be too heavy? Any thoughts would be welcome...

Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

I use 90.

I just got done doing the bearings on that same shaft, it is a **** of a job.
The output shaft is one thing....
If you plan on doing that differential bearing you'll have to drop it, at that point you might as well redo the entire rear end.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM

I saw your posts George regarding trying to get the wheel bearings off the spindles... Sent shivers up my spine just contemplating doing mine!

Quick question, when you pulled the shafts out of your diff did you lose much diff oil in the process? I've read somewhere than some oil is to be expected? I'm just not sure how much?

One of the posts I read also suggested packing the new output shaft bearings (with grease) upon re-installation? Any thoughts?

Re: Power Steering

I've given up on the idea of resealing my rack myself just in case I stuff it up so instead I've sourced a recon'd one at a reasonable price and hopefully I'll have it here next week. Whilst i'm up to my elbows in grease, flat on my back swapping it out I may as well do the output shaft bearings, seals and diff oil change at the same time. The rear wheel bearings I'll probably leave for a rainy day down the track...

Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 PM

With the diff now behind me, I think I had better pay attention to that steering rack. (I might give myself the luxury of a few days away from the Cat!)

I didn't go with the one I had previously sourced, due to a total budget blowout on the diff, so a self reseal will be required.

Before I go forking out any more dollars unnecessarily, can anyone with the proper Jaguar '88 Xj40 workshop manual please tell me if it contains working diagrams for the adwest steering rack? Haynes only covers removal and re- installation which is easy as compared to the rear end IRS.

Will there ever be an end to laying flat on my back looking at nuts and bolts of all manner of shapes and sizes!

Thanks

Last edited by Jagfix38; 02-20-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm curious as to how this turns out. My concern would be, is it just a seal? Or is the component the seal rides on worn (a little/a lot) and its just going to leak agin after all the effort.

My car is leaking right at the top of the rack and i would be willing to risk that seal if I could find one without buying a whole kit. Beyond that I would probably spring for another rack.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagfix38
Hi All,

'88 xj40 3.6Lt

I have plenty of time on my hands, and having successfully rebuilt my transmission previously, the willingness to give it a go myself. My problem is I haven't got a lot of dollars to invest in an exchange unit or have a mechanic undertake the work and with no manuals on the subject available, I'm a little unsure how to remove the steering link pinion gear in order to get all the internal parts out.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Hi,

I happened upon the ZF manual at the link below while trying to help a fellow member of the Jag-Lovers XJ40 forum who had purchased a seal kit for his rack and was looking for rebuild instructions. I don't know how different the Adwest racks are from the ZFs fitted to later XJ40s, but I would assume the principles of operation must be the same. I hope this info is helpful, and if you decide to undertake the rebuild, please share what you learn with the rest of us.

http://bumer.clan.su/_ld/0/2_BMW_e39_____783.pdf

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (04-22-2021)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, although I have been looking around the site for answers for a bit prior to this reply.

I am currently rebuilding the Adwest rack fitted to my 91 Jreg XJ40 sport.

I used to work in a company that refurbished both manual and power steering racks for the motor industry main distributors.

Most power steering racks refurbish fine, although some have parts worn to excess and are scrap. Most jaguar racks seemed well within wear limits, either indicating a good quality of material used in manufacture or perhaps that Jag owners were not using racks once the oil had left the rack.

Stripping down a jaguar rack is easy and anyone could do it if they are able to work on cars in general. depending on model, either the rack body tube unscrews from the cast part of the rack or the end of the tube has two collars (one square and one with two peg holes) which unscrew from each other allowing the rack's internal parts to be removed, cleaned inspected and replaced. After the shaft comes out there is a tubular collar inside also to be removed that contains seals, it just comes straight out, remember which way it all comes apart and make sure that you have all the seals out and that you have taken notes for yourself (or remembered)

We used to take plastic seals and cut them (like piston rings) but diagonally so that there is always overlap on the plastic making a good seal under pressure. I have just ordered the seal kit and I await its arrival. I will try to take some pictures of the rebuild and let you know of any pertinent information that may be helpful.

Glenn

The following 4 users liked this post by Glenn Schofield:
Don B (06-22-2015), Lawrence (11-06-2014), NTL1991 (09-30-2017), xj40_197042 (07-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2014, 08:15 AM

Hi Glenn,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I think I can speak for other members that we will anxiously await your photographs of your steering rack rebuild! The rack internals have been mostly a mystery since far more owners have opted to swap in professionally-rebuilt units rather than undertake the rebuild themselves. Please let us know if you need any assistance posting the photos.

Also, we're a friendly group around here, so please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and so we can learn something about you and your Jag.

Cheers!

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-06-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Croeso Glenn!

Larry

Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi there
It is old post but old threads are great for learning purpose and contain all info in one place
So
I have managed to rebuild my adwest pow-a-rak from early xj40, with help of info given by Glenn Schofield and cause of complete lack of it on the net i decided to share some photos for those who dare to open their one
Here it goes:
In order to take it apart
-remove pinion
-unscrew collar at the passenger end of the rack (did it with clamp locking bolt and hammer)
-remove end
-remove shaft
-push internal tube out with something , no force required (does have one more seal, not on the photo)
Refitting is the reverse of removal and take your time while on pinion it is pain to get right
All the best

Attached Thumbnails xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-1rackpinionout.jpg   xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-2pinionsealson.jpg   xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-3driverend.jpg   xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-3passengerend.jpg   xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-4collarclamp.jpg  

xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-5endoff.jpg   xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-6rackexplodedtubein.jpg   xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-7internaltubeout.jpg   xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-8wornshaft.jpg   xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild-9polishedshaft.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by xjack:
93SB (06-24-2015), Don B (06-22-2015), Kay (06-23-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:15 PM

Hi xjack,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums, and thank you for posting the photos of the internals of your Adwest power steering rack. They will be tremendously helpful to others for years to come!

Since we're a friendly group, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jag and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers!

Don

93SB (06-24-2015)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My XJ 40 1980 power steering rack and pinion stripped down and ready for new seals.

XJ 40 1980 ready for new seals<br/>

Don B (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts

Good Job Muzz just go for it..
Mine is still nice and dry so it was worth the hassle thus i had to reseal the thrust washer thing again, perhaps missed something at the first time, you may want to pay extra attention while there. Meantime i resealed PS pump too, so now, for the first time, i don't have to top up PS fluid anymore!!!

Old 05-31-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild

Hi I have been reading this thread with much interest as I would like to rebuild (seals) my adwest steering rack on my 91 XJ6. Most seems pretty straight forward but one thing I never see mention is how to remove the tie rods from the ends of the steering shaft. There appears to be a metal washer with a bend fitting into a intent in the end of the shaft. Is this locking them in place? Do the tie rods unscrew somehow, I cannot budge them. Any help much appreciated.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 91XJ40
Hi I have been reading this thread with much interest as I would like to rebuild (seals) my adwest steering rack on my 91 XJ6. Most seems pretty straight forward but one thing I never see mention is how to remove the tie rods from the ends of the steering shaft. There appears to be a metal washer with a bend fitting into a intent in the end of the shaft. Is this locking them in place? Do the tie rods unscrew somehow, I cannot budge them. Any help much appreciated.

Hi 91XJ40,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

It's been awhile since I removed an inner tie rod, but I recall that it does thread out and the flats on the ball joint housing will accept an open-end wrench/spanner. The washers are bent over at one or two edges to prevent the tie rod from turning off, so to remove the tie rod you use a punch and hammer to tap the washers flat so the tie rod can rotate freely. I couldn't find a photo of the part for an Adwest rack, but here's a photo of the inner tie rod for the later ZF rack, courtesy of one of our forum sponsors, SNG Barratt:

Hopefully one of our other members will know for certain.

In the meantime, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-30-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply: xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild