XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 AM
Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi
Just un-bend the washer thing and it will unscrew from the rack, it is there for security and to lock the thing and prevent it from coming loose accidentally, bend it back to place if you are planing to reuse tie rods
Bests

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-01-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild

Thank you very much Don B for your reply and photo, exactly the same. Took the weekend off and went at it today. Punched back the bend in what looked like a washer, which it's not and after much forcing with a 1 1/4 inch open end 18 inch long wrench, was finally able to loosen and remove the tie rod ends from the steering shaft. I still can't believe how tight they were. Now it is on to removing the collar, passenger side to remove the shaft. Cheers.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Default xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild

Thank you Xjack for your advice on bending back those tabs in order to remove the tie rods from the steering shaft. At first I was still not having any luck but when one finally slacken I was in business. Thanks again. Cheers.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have now the fort rack replaced all were rebuilt by a reputable company but all were leak I use mineral oil replaced all new hoses rebuilt the pump and nada still leaks in les the 50 mile after
replaced,
I wander if my problem is too high oil pressure because the car was with self leveling system that were converted to none leveling, how it influence the steering system?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:25 AM

Hi, you raise a good point and I am not sure I can answer your question. When I purchased my 91 the rear self leveling suspension had been converted to regular springs and shocks but all the plumbing under the bonnet was still there. In a quest to clean up the engine bay I removed everything related to the rear suspension including the valve block, hoses and a pump that was on the front of engine. So, I think the steering pump only services the steering rack and should not affect the pressure. Can anyone else add?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Hi
That what i have too but every rack That I install or the Jaguar deter does dont last or leaks or the steering wheel shifts in just driving lest then 50 miles,
all components were replaced so or I should buy a rack from deferent supply or something wrong with my car.
any one knows what is the pressure should be in the steering system?

Old 09-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Hi shtekler,

Please use your User Control Panel to add the year, model and engine of your Jaguar to your signature line so others don't have to guess in order to give you accurate replies.

When you say "the steering wheel shifts," do you mean that its orientation relative the the front wheels changes, so that when the wheels are straight, the steering wheel no longer is? That could indicate that the steering column was not correctly reattached to the new steering rack and could represent a significant safety hazard.

Are you saying that you have installed multiple new or rebuilt steering racks but that the racks themselves soon develop leaks, or are the leaks somewhere else in the system?

When you say that "all components were replaced," specifically which components in addition to the steering rack? The power steering fluid pump, all power steering hoses, and the outer tie rod ends?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Cheers,

Don

shtekler (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Hi Don
Thanks for your reply, I updated my profile hope its right.
I will give all the info i have and i hope it not too long.
my care is Jaguar XJ6 1990 Sovereign 4.0L Vin# 595137
I got the car with 114000 mile nice clean from CA state
the steering were very hard to turn the steering wheel , so we bought a rebuilt rack and install it
after 3 month in my garage without driving it I am in CT and don't drive rear wheel car in the winter, the rack started to leak.
I found out the the steering oil were mixed mineral and the red oil so I thought that was the reason.
I send my original rack to rebuilt in a reputable company got it back also had leak problem and the steering wheel never stayed in the same place.
ordered a rebuilt rack from the same company steering wheel was ok but started to leak,
send back my original rack to the same company and went to the Jaguar dealer so he will instal the rack and do all car allayment the next day before I picked up the the from the dealer it was leaking oil, I drove home like 10 miles the car was like a ship and just as I get home i notice the steering wheel did't stay in his place shifted
noe I will tell you what was replace in the car system
rear shocks were converted to none suspension just regular but the Boge once the rack were replace multiply times steering pump were rebuilt at the same company all hydraulic hoses replaced with new, Hydraulic oil was flashed and use only the green mineral oil the radiator was flashed and new antifreeze were install.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:23 PM

Hi
I'm not an expert in later xj40 but in mine steering is separated from suspension so removing SLS would have none effect on it.
Do you mean your steering wheel don't stay straight while you drive straight? than it was badly installed and should be centered
If your car drives like the ship than or your PS pump give no pressure or rack is bad, i guess you've got bad luck and received bad rebuilds from wherever you got them.
I did mine trice and it kept leaking from the tower so i got another from "reputable" rebuild company in US and it also leaked at the tower. Pinion seals tend to groove tower surface in those racks and it should be honed and perhaps oversized seals used, if failed to do so it will leak in zero time again. so it is rather hard to tell without proper investigation but if you do the pressure test you will at least discard some causes
Bests
J.

The following 2 users liked this post by xjack:
Don B (09-05-2018), shtekler (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:33 PM

Hi Xjack

Thanks for your respond It's look like I am going to research for a company that will result my rack in a way that all component will be tested not just replacing seals and check for leakes by air pressure only.
and I am going to take my spare rack and take it apart maybe I will find the real problem

Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 AM

Not surprisingly Adwest racks were replaced by ZF type by jaguar on later models, perhaps they discovered that rebuilding them have little sense
I you are going to take yours apart, pay extra attention to where it is leaking now, it may be corroded or have a worn surface there. you may be able to hone or just polish it back to acceptable state with various sandpaper grits, i would also change thrust washer and top plate while there, just in case they are worn and allow some movement of the pinion which would result in leaks

The following 2 users liked this post by xjack:
Don B (09-05-2018), shtekler (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:25 AM

Hi
Just wander and hope it down"t sound stupid can I buy the ZF rack and install it in my XJ6 1990 vin# 595137 ?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:45 PM

Me too i pondered this option, generally no unless you change few other components like steering column etc, you would have to inform yourself a bit, there is quite lot of info here and jag-lovers site, Are you sure yours is adwest and not ZF? I understand you don't use car daily so you are not in hurry, also you ended up with spare rack, so you can take it apart and take the all the time necessary to do it well yourself, i was bit in hurry so i skipped on some things in order to have it ready fast but properly honed and all components that have to be replaced - replaced it have no choice but stay without leaks. It is not bad idea to check pressure in the system anyway, i can't tell you correct pressure but having the number you could call jag techs and ask if it is within limits

shtekler (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:45 AM

Any one knows How much pressure should be in the steering hydraulic system should be, in what point to check it? in the return side on in the high side
and what kind of gage to use

Old 10-28-2018, 03:34 PM

Hi
Update on my progress
I bought a rebuild rack from another source and installed it, I don't drive it until I be sure the Hydraulic pressure from the pump is right,
called BBB company and got the pressure from the pump hope they are right pump at idle should be 50-150 PSI mine is 95PSI, pump pressure at when pump outlet blocked 1100-135PSI that the max the pump should produce mine is 1600PSI,
I ordred a new relief valve and will compare it to mine I think i should have 5 shims to get the right pressure
I belive the higher pressure will rip the seals in the rack

Old 10-28-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by shtekler
Hi
Update on my progress
I bought a rebuild rack from another source and installed it, I don't drive it until I be sure the Hydraulic pressure from the pump is right,
called BBB company and got the pressure from the pump hope they are right pump at idle should be 50-150 PSI mine is 95PSI, pump pressure at when pump outlet blocked 1100-135PSI that the max the pump should produce mine is 1600PSI,
I ordred a new relief valve and will compare it to mine I think i should have 5 shims to get the right pressure
I belive the higher pressure will rip the seals in the rack
Hi shtekler,

1,600 psi does seem excessive from the power steering pump.... How did you even measure a pressure that high?

Don

MountainMan (04-22-2021)
Old 10-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Default Power steering pump Pressure

Don B (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Don
I tried to put the picture and the text together but didn't know how so as you see I bought the gauge from 0 to 3500PSI made the hoses with the fitting (in a shop machine shop)
connected it between the pump outlet and the steering rack,
now I ordered the relief valve and will shim it to 1350PSI at dead position mean my valve closed so the pump will produce max pressure (just for 5 second not to damage the pump)

Don B (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:49 PM

Hi shtekler,

Thanks for the photo and clarification.

To add a photo with the text in your post, type your text, then with your cursor at the place where you want the photo to be inserted, click on this symbol in the menu bar at the top of the post editing screen:

A new window will pop up that allows you to paste an image url, or to browse your device for an image file and upload it to your post.

Please keep us informed on your project and more photos of your progress would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-29-2018 at 08:51 PM.
MountainMan (04-22-2021)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:59 PM

Thanks

Quick Reply: xj40 Power Steering Rack Rebuild