XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

XJ40 problem noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ40 problem noise

Hi everyone

I'm new here, but hope someone can help me!

My car has always made a noise when i first turn the ignition on, i thought it was the ABS pump charging itself. The car has been garaged for a few months and when I came to restart it i got the normal noise, plus something else then the ABS light comes on and stays on. It sounds like the second noise is coming from inside the dash somewhere. I think it sounds like an electrical problem, possibly a relay, what do you think? I've put a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMJESFr4leA

thanks in adance!

Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Watched both your vids.

The first noise is the same in my XJ40 (always has been for 6 years now), but yours is taking forever to charge.

I notice that your battery is way low on charge, possibly causing the overlong first period.

The second noise, hmmm, have to guess here, sounds like something from a Spielberg film, but for a stab at it I would relate it to you not having enough battery to charge the system and so it is shutting down.

Admitedly with wierd sound effects.

Did you try to start the car, straight off? Your vids don't show you trying to crank.

Others will know more.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 PM

I haven't used the car for a bit which is why the battery is low. But the same thing happens even when the battery is fully charged!

Originally Posted by Translator
Watched both your vids.

The first noise is the same in my XJ40 (always has been for 6 years now), but yours is taking forever to charge.

I notice that your battery is way low on charge, possibly causing the overlong first period.

The second noise, hmmm, have to guess here, sounds like something from a Spielberg film, but for a stab at it I would relate it to you not having enough battery to charge the system and so it is shutting down.

Did you try to start the car, straight off? Your vids don't show you trying to crank.

Others will know more.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 PM

I forgot to say I didn't try to start the car when i did the video. The car starts normally and the same thing happens though.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 AM

Hi there

the car hasn't been used for a while which is why the battery is low, but exactly the same thing happens when it's fully charged. I didn't start the car for the video, but again, the same thing happens when the car is started.

I wondered what the main things I should check for are on the ABS system? Is there something in the dash? That's where the second sound is coming from.

Cheers

Richard.

Originally Posted by Translator
Watched both your vids.

Others will know more.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:14 AM

Sorry for all the replies! I couldn't see them for a while so thought I'd forgot to click submit!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Hi all
I've had a chance to open up under the driver's side dash today. It's difficult to tell where the noise is coming from. I haven't tried swapping over any relays yet as i'm a bit confused! Under my dash , there is a green, yellow, white and black relay - the black one is on a seperate bracket to the others. but my haynes manual says that, for a 1992 car, there should be:
blue - abs ecu
white - abs main
white - abs pump
green - reverse inhibit
Are the ones on my car all wrong!?
Are jaguar relays unique in anyway, or can i replace them with any from my local auto electrician if I need to?
cheers
Richard.