XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

XJ81 Interior Restoration Before and After - Back on the Road at Last!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:20 AM
88 XJ6
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I need this done

Hey HarpersMuse... How much will you charge a fellow georgia boy have my 1988 xj6 done like yours??? I mainly need my roofing carpet redone, door panels and woodgrain trimmind redone and my floor carpet redone. I also need my seats redone or replaced because they are cracking badly and doesnt look like it can be saved. Please say yes....lol

Old 07-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HarpersMuse
Hi All,

I posted a few months back about my 'Barn' find 1994 XJ12. I bought the car from a fellow north of Atlanta back in October, and having sat for 5 years in his side yard not running; mice, water and dirt had taken their toll on the engine and interior. I've since re-built the top end of the engine, hand built a new wiring harness (PITA!), rebuilt the suspension with new shocks and wheels, and now finally - restored the interior.

She's back on the road again, just in time for the Atlanta British car show. There's still lots to be done, but thought I'd post some pics of the transformation from 25 year old Cream/Coffee interior to a new Magnolia on Black interior with black carpet and Black Alcantara headliner.

I will say that while re-dying isn't overly difficult, hand painting dye on the seat piping with a not so steady hand took the vast majority of the time ...

I know it's not for everyone, but I like the contrast.

[SNIPP'd out photos]

I've got a bit to go. Fixing a few places I nicked the dye putting it in. Takes about a month to fully cure, but it's dry now. Just have to be careful...

What do you all think? It's different
I think it looks great, and wow what a lot of work! Great job saving this car.

It's amazing how quickly cars can go bad from sitting, especially once critters get inside!

Old 07-12-2017, 03:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love what you've done with it so far! Came a long way indeed

Old 07-12-2017, 07:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by HarpersMuse
I posted a few months back about my 'Barn' find 1994 XJ12. .....

A great restoration job but that contrasting seat piping work is especially spectacular.

Graham

Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Those seats are stunning...great work

Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

Fantastic...What a beautiful interior. Putting the effort in pays dividends and as you're the one putting the effort in you should go with what pleases you..Nice one. Really should do something with my seats...very inspiring.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you all for your kind comments and notes! She's coming along. The dye has finally cured, and I resolved some squeaking here and there with some sticky velcro backing. Leather naturally creaks anyway, but freshly dyed leather does it something fierce

So saying, I've rebuilt the rest of the suspension. Front upper control arm bushings were metal on metal, which explains the lack of feeling in the front end. Replaced those, and the engine mounts. For anyone with a V12, or any x300 from the 95 and 96 years that used the hydraulic mounts and havent changed them, you need them

I had a little noise and vibration from the front, but nothing major. This is what I found;

Yep, nothing holding in the engine, but the sheer weight... At 600 dollars each (cheapest I could find) it's certainly something to budget for

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-03-2017)