XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

XJR sport Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I really don't have much to add but was thinking about the fact that she runs on starter fluid but not without ....

This does suggest a fuel or air supply issue. If you ARE seeing fuel at the injectors, either the volume of fuel is too low/high to supply the correct mixture or the air volume is too great or too little. Both factors could corrupt the ratio required for a normal cold start.

When you spray the starter fluid, where are you opening the intake plumbing? Have you removed and inspected the intake plumbing and checked for a blockage? (rodent nest, plugged air filter etc)

How is the coolant sensor/sensor harness? It's the primary sensor responsible for cold start enrichment AFAIK ..how is the harness connection at the MAF? the MAF sensor itself?

Seems to me that if you have spark and fuel and the timing hasn't been messed with, then the only other variable in the mix will be air ratio.

Larry

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
Don B (10-31-2017), frenchfairplaydriver (10-31-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 12,768 Likes on 6,396 Posts

Hi Stefan,

Just checking in to see if you resolved your no-start issue, and if so, what was the cause?

Cheers,

Don

Old 12-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Don, thanks for Checking inn, sadly i haven't had much time but one thing we did find out is that the filter is on the return and from what i gather from haynes that is wrong so the mechanic who was putting the tank back in the car might have switched the hoses, will check probably next week, but something is wrong below, i am sure of that.... will post updates as they come but this will be most likely after the Holidays, and again thanks to everyone that helped so far and especaially you Don, happy holidays everyone!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-18-2017)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Cool

Good news, we finally got around to removing the tank, it turns out when the guy installed the new fuel pump, he switched the hoses so the Jag was sending fuel through the return, i looked at the diagrams in december and found that out but we thought that the hoses were switched at the bottom on the Gas tank connections under the car but it turned out you cant mix those up and that they were wrongly connected in the gas tank so, once we got that sorted the Big cat fired right up! and now i can say i am proud owner of a running XJR! thanks for all the help i am very very happy to enter the realm of Jag ownership!

Just one more question, as i stated earlier, my friend owns a Daimler and he says his Daimler cant start while in park, and that he starts his car in neutral, his is a late 93' and my XJR starts in Park but not in neutral, its as in the title, a late 91' model so did they change something with the later cars or is there something wrong with one of our cars?

Don B (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Received 12,768 Likes on 6,396 Posts

Hi Stefan,

Congratulations! That's great news about your XJR! Your persistence has paid off. Thank you for sharing the solution with us - I'm sure that will help others in the future.

Regarding your friend's late '93 Daimler, those are classic symptoms of a failed or mis-adjusted Park-Neutral switch. Search the forum and I'm sure you'll find plenty of information on adjusting or replacing the switch, which is mounted on the J-gate gear selector mechanism and prevents the engine from starting unless the gear selector is in Park or Neutral.

Cheers,

Don

Stefi88 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the fast reply Don, and thanks so much to everyone that helped, have a great weekend, cheers!