XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 XJ12 non starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for help guys, going to take the car out on monday or tuesday and see if we can locate where the leak is coming from and how bad it is, can't do it at the weekend as im underground both days.
managed to find a radiator shop nearby who can refurbish it if needs be so hopefully we can get it sorted and start actually using the car this year

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (06-09-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

took the car out today, seemed to be running fine while we were out but after about 30 minutes of driving when we arrived back at the unit it seems to be running abit rough again, not as bad as it was the first time around but definitely not aswell as it should be

Old 06-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanT
After its winter hibernation my 1978 XJ12 went to the garage to have its headlights replaced, it drove fine to the garage, then back to my house and then to where i keep the car, 15-20 miles in total, on arriving at my storage the car started running very lumpy, down on power and spitting and banging, we managed to get it into the unit and turned it off, after a while we fired it back up and it was still running rough.

My mechanic looked at it and suggested we replaced the HT leads, we done this and the dizzy cap and rotar arm at the same time, come to start it up and it just won't fire, mechanic came back and discovered the fuel pump wasn't giving out a decent flow so we replaced that and still no go, a new set of plugs and fuel filter also hasn't cured the problem and i think hes running out of ideas.

It is seemingly trying to fire now, its not just turning over anymore but it won't catch, i don't like the stuff but a few squirts of easy start up the air trumpets allows the car to run almost immediately but it quickly dies once thats burnt off.

It has a decent spark at the plugs and plenty of fuel getting to the fuel rail but it just won't catch and run. Does anyone have any suggestions for anything else it could be?

Thanks everyone
You have an old fuel problem, dirty pump, dirty tank, old fuel.

Walter