XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 XJ6 battery drain just won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1982 XJ6 battery drain just won't start

Hi.. I am trying to help my mom she has a 1982 XJ6 Vanden Plas that has been draining her battery..she took it to two shops and they can't find the problem it would start then you back back out and it wouldn't , it would turn but not start. The battery is new no defect it is second battery in two months. This time battery is strong lights are bright they work,horn, radio works but car will not turn over no noise but a jump noise when you turn the key like it wants to turn over bun it won't . at first it wouldn't say anything.the other day she went out to see if it will and it sound like it would but it didn't ..any suggestions where to start troubleshoot would be appreciative .I hope I post in the right forum.. Thanks

Old 06-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts
Default 1982 XJ6 battery drain just won't start

Originally Posted by dinerdash
Hi.. I am trying to help my mom she has a 1982 XJ6 Vanden Plas that has been draining her battery..she took it to two shops and they can't find the problem it would start then you back back out and it wouldn't , it would turn but not start. The battery is new no defect it is second battery in two months. This time battery is strong lights are bright they work,horn, radio works but car will not turn over no noise but a jump noise when you turn the key like it wants to turn over bun it won't . at first it wouldn't say anything.the other day she went out to see if it will and it sound like it would but it didn't ..any suggestions where to start troubleshoot would be appreciative .I hope I post in the right forum.. Thanks
What I believe you are trying to say is the starter motor turns the engine, but the engine will not start. This is usually caused by one of two things: no fuel or no spark. Disconnect one of the spark plug leads and ground it to the engine then turn the key as if you are trying to start the engine. If there is a spark that jumps from the wire to the engine, you have spark, if not, there could be a loose connection or problem with the distributor. If you do have spark, check to see if there is fuel being supplied to the injectors. When you turn the key to start the engine, the fuel pump located next to the spare tyre will make a humming noise if it is running.

Check for spark and fuel and post what you find.

The following users liked this post:
dinerdash (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Battery Drain...Solved..

Hi.. After all the money my mom spent on her car trying to get the problem fix taking it to the Jaguar mechanics and foreign car mechanics and being told her battery is no good it was defective and she ended up buying two batteries that were expensive , car still drained they told her they can't find the problem , she told a friend about it and her friend told her brother that works on cars well low and behold he came over her house with a long pipe and big hammer opened the hood and was hitting the starter told my father to start her up , car started right up he said all it was her starter was locked, Jag has been driving 2 weeks now with no problem, my mom had this problem for almost a year .. Hope this helps someone else with the battery draining problem. Thanks for your help