Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 XJ6 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
YBF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 XJ6 problems

I have an XJ6 that I've been fixing up but because I am only a beginner technician, I have been having a few problems. The speedometer only works intermittently so I read that I need to clean the transducer.

I did that but I had no idea how to completely remove the transducer so I only cleaned the side that i could plug and unplug. That helped the speedometer but it is still not always working. I think If i cleaned the other side of the transducer, that would probably help, but I need to know how to remove it first (a lot of detail on the how would be much appreciated.)

Another problem is that the heater and A/C only blows out on the very left drivers side vent. As to this problem, I have no experience with heaters and A/C's, so I am completely in the dark. (again detail will be needed)

Thanks!
~YBF

Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by YBF
I did that but I had no idea how to completely remove the transducer

Undo the nut (knurled or hex-head) at the base of the tranducer and wiggle it out from the side of the transmission

so I only cleaned the side that i could plug and unplug. That helped the speedometer but it is still not always working. I think If i cleaned the other side of the transducer, that would probably help, but I need to know how to remove it first (a lot of detail on the how would be much appreciated.)

Nothing else to clean. You probably just need to replace it....pretty common for them to give trouble.

Another problem is that the heater and A/C only blows out on the very left drivers side vent. As to this problem, I have no experience with heaters and A/C's, so I am completely in the dark. (again detail will be needed)

My first thought is that the RH side ducting has come adrift from the outlet. Have you checked for that?

With the mode switch on "auto" and the temp dial set to max cold, the airflow should switch to the center dashboard outlet (assuming the cabin isn't already very cold).

With the mode switch on "auto" and the temp dial set to max heat, the airflow should switch to the foorwell vents with a slight amount from the Left and Right dash vents.

With the mode switch on "auto" and the temp dial in other than max cold or max heat the airflow can vary..."blend"....between the footwell vents and the L/R dashboard vents.

Is any of this happening? I understand the the RH dash outlet has zero output, but is anything else happening as you change the temp selection on the dial?

Cheers
DD

Cheers
DD

Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

if it doesn't do anything as Doug explained, it sounds like the Servo is acting up. (or not doing what it should). Everytime you change the temperature from one extreme to the other, you should hear a "ticking" or "whirring" sound coming from the passenger side after a slight delay, from the front, right side of the center console, behind the black floor Vent panel. The Servo opens and closes the different flaps or "vents" via a series of linkages and rods bolted to each other.

if not the Servo, it could be a lose Rod linkage.