XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 XJ6 Rear Tail Lights problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 XJ6 Rear Tail Lights problem?

Hello everyone, I realize this section is only for XJs up to 1987 but not sure where exactly to post my question.

I have a 1988 XJ6, and am having some problems with the rear tail lights. The passenger side rear lights cluster works perfectly, yet still triggers a "bulb failure" warning when I signal to turn right. The front signals work fine on both sides. I know there are some yellow side lights on the bumper (on the part which wraps around to the side of the car) as well as some red lights on the rear bumper below the trunk on each side...are these supposed to flash when I signal as well, and possibly could be giving the bulb failure warning?

The driver's side rear light cluster is another story. It works fine except when I am signalling to turn left while braking...the light does not flash, but stays solidly lit as I hold the brake. When I release the brake, the light begins to flash again until I cancel it or the turn is complete. The bulb failure warning comes on when I am braking and signalling at the same time, and then goes off when the signal is turned off.

Finally, when I am braking, sometimes the bulb failure warning comes on even though I can see (by reflection in window or a car behind me) that the brake lights on both sides are working perfectly.

I have already tried replacing the bulbs, which did not work. I also ordered and installed two used light panels for both sides of rear light clusters, and am having the same bulb failure warnings come up under the same circumstances.

Any ideas?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

OK, you do have an XJ40, so a Mod might move this to assist replies??.

The lamps in the bumper (repeater lamps) are connected for SOME markets, and I have NO idea for Canada.

However, reading on, it sounds like you got typical XJ40 earth issues, so I would be tracking ANY earth wire you can find, and there are HEAPS, and give them all a good clean.

The bulb control modules for the rear lamps are in the boot (trunk) just near each tail light, and the front ones are in the general area of each side of the radiator, behind the headlamp, and visible from the top. They are prone to "dry solder joints", as well as "cracked solder joints" as well as just throwing that code for the hell of it. Remove them, one at a time, dissmantle the cover and you will see a bunch of relays and other stuff in there, clean the relay contacts CAREFULLY, resolder all the joints you can access. Plug it in, and give it a go before putting the cove rback on. Sit it on a rag whilst trying it so it doesnt short out on the body.

The daughters '88 did that with the RHF unit, and she had it out MANY times, lost count actually, and resoldered ALL the points she could find, and then some, and EVENTUALLY it stopped throwing the code. All the bulbs were replaced as a matter of course.

The RED lamps in the bumper facing towards the oncoming cars are the rear foglamps, and do not flash with the indicators.