Sponsored by:

6 Month project upgrading engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts
Default 6 Month project upgrading engine compartment

List of what I did to detail and upgrade the enginecompartment:

Installed aftermarket aluminum radiator that I bought offEBay from a guy who had it installed in a XJ6 previously. Had it and the overflow container cleaned andpressure tested before installing.Newflat pressure cap; new 13lb pressure cap on overflow.

Installed two 11” puller electric fans (from RODPARTSDEALERon EBay) with a Davies-Craig temperature control system (DC-0444) that has aprobe installed in the upper radiator hose directly into the coolant (DC-0409). This system turns each fan on one at a timewith a 10 second delay to not draw initial heavy current.It has blue digital led readout to showcurrent coolant temperature, and a way to set the “on” temperature.It can be in either Fahrenheit or Celsius.It also comes on whenever the A/C clutchpicks.Installed new 160d thermostat andhave the electric fans come on at 175d.Still may have to adjust that as I learn how the engine likes to run inthe Florida Summers.Always had coolingproblems in the past like all other 4.2’s.

Installed rebuilt GM A6 A/C compressor, new condenser, dryer,new expansion valve, all new hoses (eliminating the fuel cooler) and reroutedon the driver’s side in a much neater fashion. Used Nylog on all green O rings and threads.Worked with COLDHOSE.COM folks and they weremost accommodating.They installed andcrimped one end of each hose, and I made sure each hose was just a littlelonger than it needed to be.Thatallowed me to cut each hose and twist a bit, so the hose would have a naturalset into the shape I wanted, then marked both the hose and the “uncrimped”connector.Then took the hose locally toan A/C shop and have them crimp for $5 each.A lot of designing and re-designing went into this and I’m super happywith the result.

Installed ALL new coolant hoses and clamps

Installed new water pump minus the mechanical fan. It’s all electric now.

Installed rebuilt power steering unit

Installed new brake master cylinder

Installed all new vacuum lines. That was fun figuring that one out.

Installed GM 94amp alternator and custom bracket from John’sCars. I knew the battery might have atough time keeping up with the two electric fans.

Cleaned, unplugged, used dielectric grease on ALL electricalplugs and reseated them. Had to drop thebrake pedal bracket to get access to the two plugs buried under the PS vacuumbooster.Cleaned all single P&J’s atthe front of the engine compartment driver’s and passenger’s side, then bundledthem in a sheathing, as no amount of cleaning of the wires made them lookinglike new, like now the rest of the engine compartment.

Removed stock air cleaner and installed old school oval foamcleanable air filters for the twin Stromberg 175’s.

Removed stock crossmember above the radiator andcondenser. Stock one was steel;customized one is now aluminum.Installednew headlamp fuse boxes on this crossmember.

New fan belts. Had togo with a bit shorter one for the 94amp alternator

Cleaned, polished the cam covers taking great care to getblack paint into the ribs. We’ll see howlong that lasts!New acorn nuts.

Installed tappet retainer hold-down kit on the exhaust side;new gaskets

Fabricated custom battery hold-down, new battery and startercables. Went overboard on the REDpositive as I did not have my act together on ought,ought ought, ought ought ought.

Cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more, then painted theblock black gloss, fenders and all black flat (wanted to fill holes but nevergot to it), silver for the exhaust manifold and heat shields.

Installed front two new engine mounts; installed new swaybar pivots

Installed custom bracketry for the Crane XR-700 pointlessignition box which the PO had installed initially.

SUMMARY: I ordered abig plastic box of grade 8 fine thread misc nuts, bolts and washers before Istarted the project.Am always in thatbox, and a lot of the times I use them instead of what I took out.I wasn’t as good as I should have been indisassembly and putting everything in plastic bags and marking them.Also ordered a box of misc sized black plugsand grommets – also well used.Ordered abox of misc sized green A/C O rings that I’ve had to dip into doing andre-doing that project until it was right. Also an assortment of vacuum plugs/caps andvacuum “T”s – very handy.

The entire job felt very overwhelming when I first startedin November, as I felt all I was doing was cleaning (I’m preaching to thechoir!). But once I started replacing,painting, etc.; there was a real sense of accomplishment and pride ofworkmanship.I know I haven’t been muchof a contributor to the forum, but be it known, you guys are and were a bighelp by answering a few questions and giving me historical data base knowledge.It also gave me comfort that I had peers outthere doing the same kinds of things, going through the same grunt work –sometimes with distain but mostly with passion.

I’ve owned this car for 17 years now and haven’t given him(DUNCAN as the PO named him; I shouldn’t change either gender or name) theattention I’ve wanted to. In the pastthough I completely redid the interior – new roof liner, new carpets, re-dyedall leather.Installed XJS thicker andsmaller steering wheel (makes all the difference).Have had door cards out, window mechanismsout (both front and back) and back together again a couple of times.Had the driver’s side to the body shoprecently and had it painted black with clear coat.Now that I’m done with the engine compartment,it’s off to the body shop for the hood (bonnet), roof, passenger side and trucklid (boot) to be painted and clear coated.

Does that mean I’m nearing completion? My wife thinks so.I haven’t told her that I’ve beenaccumulating parts over the years to do the suspension (new shocks, springs,steering bushings, bushings, tie rod ends, etc, etc.)And that I still have that ahead of me.But all that is under the skirts and nobodyknows it but me (and now you).

In the meantime, once back from the body shop (should go innext week) I might want to enter into a few local car shows, now with the hoodopen. I never mentioned it but, otherthan the driver and passenger floor pans there isn’t a bit of rust on this car.Makes it very worthwhile restoring it.It is not a Damiler as all the badging,grillwork, etc. will have you believe and all that was done by the PO.But that’s the way I’m keeping authenticity.I think all that adds to my appeal to thecar.And… the bad news… it’s not a numbersmatching car.But it’s a period matchingcar.Again – I really don’t care – notthat I can do anything about it.I knewthat when I bought him from CA off EBay 17 years ago and had him shippedover.So… that’s my story and I’msticking to it!

Attached Thumbnails 6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0379.jpg   6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0380.jpg   6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0381.jpg   6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0382.jpg   6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0383.jpg  

6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0384.jpg   6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0385.jpg   6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0386.jpg   6 Month project upgrading engine compartment-dcp_0387.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by yachtmanbuttson:
Doug (04-28-2018), Jahmiata (08-14-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wonderment!!!!

Carl

Old 04-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

It's been a looooong time since I was an engine that clean! Last time was my dad's new tractor just delivered off the truck. Only dirt it has seen to that point was in the factory windows.

Does that mean I’m nearing completion?
You wish!

I haven’t told her that I’ve beenaccumulating parts over the years to do the suspension (new shocks, springs,steering bushings, bushings, tie rod ends, etc, etc.)And that I still have that ahead of me.But all that is under the skirts and nobodyknows it but me (and now you).

After this you Might be nearing completion. Then you can start all over again!
Tell your wife that at least she knows where you are evenings and where your money goes.
(';')

Old 04-30-2018, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

She is a MAJOR quilter and that takes up a lot of her time. We also have her 94yo Mother living with us and that takes her time. So I have a lot of it to myself. And you know I spend it out in the garage. It all works.