Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 XJ6 4.2 problems when warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 84 XJ6 4.2 problems when warm

Hello,

I just bought an 84 xj6 with 59k original miles. The car starts up fine and will idle and can rev it up for about 5 minutes. After that, the car struggles to idle and will cut off. The car will not start again while warm. Even with a shot of starting fluid.

I read that sometimes it could be the ballast resistor but that was removed by the previous owner.

Any help would be great! Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjkcue
Hello,

I just bought an 84 xj6 with 59k original miles. The car starts up fine and will idle and can rev it up for about 5 minutes. After that, the car struggles to idle and will cut off. The car will not start again while warm. Even with a shot of starting fluid.

Which suggests, but does not verify, that you are lacking spark. I'd begin by checking for spark... but a few other quickie things:

- do the injectors click when you are trying to start?
- there should be a black/white wire running aft along the water rail, from the coil "-" post. Is it in good condition?
- unplug the coolant temp sensor connector and use a paper clip to jump the two terminals inside the boot. Any change in the problem?
- any black smoke from the exhaust, or smell of fuel. or any reason to think it is flooding out?

I read that sometimes it could be the ballast resistor but that was removed by the previous owner.

One less thing to worry about

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 02-27-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-27-2016, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Which suggests, but does not verify, that you are lacking spark. I'd begin by checking for spark... but a few other quickie things:

- do the injectors click when you are trying to start?
- there should be a black/white wire running aft along the water rail, from the coil "-" post. s it in good condition?
- unplug the coolant temp sensor connector and use a paper clip to jump the two terminals inside the boot. Any change in the problem?
- any black smoke from the exhaust, or smell of fuel. or any reason to think it is flooding out?

One less thing to worry about

Cheers
DD
Thank you Doug! I will check/try these and report back.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cjkcue
Thank you Doug! I will check/try these and report back.
So I figured it out. Bad coil.

Now I have a new problem. I am not getting fuel to the fuel pump. The pump is running. I took the hose off the inlet of the fuel filter and turned the motor over but no fuel. Is there another filter I need to change inside of the tank??