XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 Crank-Hit-Die Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 Crank-Hit-Die Update

While checking out the fuel injection equipment, looking for air leaks, etc., and general tidying under-bonnet, I found a short wire connecting a ballast resistor mounted next to the coil, to a female spade connector at the front-right side of the engine. The wire was yellow, and had a crimped-on male spade terminal, non-OEM, and the wire pulled right out of the terminal. Aha!
I hate crimp terminals. All they are good for is trouble later on.
Wonder where I can get the factory male spade terminal? Can I buy one, or is it a salvage item?
Also cleaned and inspected all the grounds I could find at the front of the car. I am about to change the fuel filter; change brake fluid, et al. The fun never ends!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, I detest that crimp on stuff. I usually strip off the soft stfuu and solder the thing to the wire. A couple of layers of shrink tubing neatens the job and provides the needed insulation.

I even reuse solder fittings. Sweat out the solder and stub wire. Or splice the remaining stub wire to my wire. in each case, a layer or two of heat shrink tubing and all is neat, tidy and long lasting.

I am not very good at tossing things away, I usually see a repurpose possibility.

My old dud microwave yielded it's case as a nice source of sheet metal. Not good steel and welds poorly at best. But, cuts and bends nicely. I repaired the broken front splash pan in my daughter's VW Passatt with it and pop rivets. I needed to bend in some shapes to make it fit nicely.